Sign in to follow this  
Tom3123

Rain with HIFI Active Sky and P3Dv5.1 HF1

Hello,

Has anyone noticed that there is no visible rain with EA turned on but there is with EA off? The strange thing is there is the sound of rain but its just not visible. 

Tom

I'm not answering your question, so apologies, but I've found EA to be more trouble than it's worth at the moment.  It looks promising and pretty, but I'm better off without it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

This has come up several times. In my experience the rain is de9fniely there but with EA on can be so transparent, for lack of a better word, that it appears invisible. if you look closely though, you should be able to see it. This has nothing to do with Active Sky mind you, just how EA depicts the rain.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Just now, Benjamin J said:

This has come up several times. In my experience the rain is de9fniely there but with EA on can be so transparent, for lack of a better word, that it appears invisible. if you look closely though, you should be able to see it. This has nothing to do with Active Sky mind you, just how EA depicts the rain.

Agreed.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

its there, ive seen it heaps flying in the tropics with rl weather on, as stated above its finer and more to scale than we have previously encountered in other platforms

Matt

NT - AUSTRALIA

With FSGRW I see rain when it’s raining.

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

So it might be there but ATIS is reporting moderate rain and the sound is correct for moderate rain, I would suspect that if its there it should be a bit more visible. I am leaning toward an issue with EA rendering of rain but, I have not tried not using AS and using the P3D weather engine to force rain.  Side, note, I have seen rain before with EA and AS but its hit and miss.  I have posted this question on HIFI board.  Maybe they have an answer.  I would rather not switch weather engines, but I do like what i see with FSGRW. 

Tom

Quick update.  If you enable rain within P3D and turn off AS it is there but it is fine or faint to see.  Looks like it a problem with P3D or could this be a video card / driver issue?  Best solution might be just to keep EA turned off until it works correctly.  I was thinking this is a problem with AS but now I am almost certain its P3D.  We are getting close but it is just not there yet.

Side note:  If anyone is getting rain with EA and and HIFI AS enabled could you please post a screen shot.  I am thinking its an EA issue but I am not ruling out other causes.

Tom

Edited by Tom3123

Pardon my ignorance....but what is EA and FSGRW?

BTW, as far as I can tell, I have no rain issues with P3D V4.5 HF3

Sherm

All screenshots taken from P3Dv5.1 HF1 from QW787 at LTFM.

My impressions are the following:

Rain is definitely present with EA On but it is very fine.

What I have noticed is that with the Auto exposure enabled in P3D Lighting settings, the fine rain is further emphasized and more visible.

In general, when switching between EA On and EA Off within P3D, the cloud colors tend to have a warmer texture to them when EA is enabled.

Second, with EA off (using ASP3D and REX Skyforce textures enabled), there is more low cloud deifntion than when EA is enabled On.

Third, visibility with EA enabled it tends to display more visibility- compare the runway visibility screenshots below.

ASP3D RC4 Beta EA On: External view

ACtC-3cnED85XaUbvJ9mYJixJTC-rUS6flSSYy4q

ASP3D RC4 Beta EA On - Cockpit view

ACtC-3fubq3Ywu8stQif04XkudlJ2TLQAkD-9DS7

ASP3D RC4 Beta EA Off -External view

ACtC-3e49Elvv3KZ0FrktLBmJXGjn6kBqOYk0kU7

ASP3D RC4 Beta EA Off- Cockpit view

ACtC-3cv2zvl2QRtLpH81qbLfI_ajDZBAdfgxtRs

Edited by aldridgem
cant type!

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

31 minutes ago, shermank said:

Pardon my ignorance....but what is EA and FSGRW?

BTW, as far as I can tell, I have no rain issues with P3D V4.5 HF3

Sherm

EA _= Enhanced Atmospherics -see P3D Lighting settings

FSGRW- FS Global Real Weather - 3rd party weather addon package.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

8 minutes ago, aldridgem said:

All screenshots taken from P3Dv5.1 HF1

The rain doesn't look great in any of them.

If you're using EA off, are you already aware of / have you considered applying a rain tweak to the PrecipParticle.fx shader?

Go to ShadersHLSL folder in the main P3D folder structure, locate PrecipParticle.fx.
(Make a backup first) Then locate the following lines:

"float height = precipMaterial.fQuadSize * precipMaterial.fQuadSizeHeightScale;" and
"float width = precipMaterial.fQuadSize * precipMaterial.fQuadSizeWidthScale;"

Add the text " / 3" to the end of both so that it appears as:

float height = precipMaterial.fQuadSize * precipMaterial.fQuadSizeHeightScale / 3;
float width = precipMaterial.fQuadSize * precipMaterial.fQuadSizeWidthScale / 3;

You can choose any number, but 3 is a good start to test with.

Rain is less obviously white streaks across the screen.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

2 hours ago, Tom3123 said:

Quick update.  If you enable rain within P3D and turn off AS it is there but it is fine or faint to see.  Looks like it a problem with P3D or could this be a video card / driver issue?  Best solution might be just to keep EA turned off until it works correctly.  I was thinking this is a problem with AS but now I am almost certain its P3D.  We are getting close but it is just not there yet.

Side note:  If anyone is getting rain with EA and and HIFI AS enabled could you please post a screen shot.  I am thinking its an EA issue but I am not ruling out other causes.

Tom

As I mentioned, it is exactly what you said here: it is 'very fine or faint' to see. No problem with drivers or whatever - that's simply what it looks like with EA.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I always thought the rain drops and snowflakes were too pronounced in previous versions. I haven't flown much in the rain in v5 with EA, but I did notice that the drops were really small. The NGXu windshield was doing the rain effect and I had to look hard to see the rain.

I like that they've toned them down in proportion. They may have just overshot the target with the adjustments. It they were slightly less transparent, the current size might be correct.

• Upvote 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440