Sign in to follow this  
Tom3123

Rain with HIFI Active Sky and P3Dv5.1 HF1

The real question is how is LM generating precipitation in EA mode? The trueSky SDK has its own facilities and binary shaders for producing rain. But considering that someone in this thread said that altering a P3d5 HLSL file impacted the rain and snow effects in EA mode, it appears that LM does not use trueSky for precipitation effects.

If you want a somewhat realistic depiction of weather that impacts your flight - e.g. you can pick it up on the radar and need to actively avoid it - you'll want to keep EA off for now. It's just not there yet.

• Upvote 1

On 12/1/2020 at 5:06 PM, MDFlier said:

I always thought the rain drops and snowflakes were too pronounced in previous versions. I haven't flown much in the rain in v5 with EA, but I did notice that the drops were really small. The NGXu windshield was doing the rain effect and I had to look hard to see the rain.

I like that they've toned them down in proportion. They may have just overshot the target with the adjustments. It they were slightly less transparent, the current size might be correct.

That's what i decided to many issue still exist...

André

I think that's the issue for some, with EA on, rain is present but its very transparent. You have to look pretty closely but the rain is there as Benjaim reported previously.

I posted a few screenshots above that demonstrate this. I did find in my sim that with Auto Exposure enabled in P3D, this helped a little with the transparency.

I am not going to worry about it too much. If you are concerned, turn EA off. Then its more noticeable.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

12 minutes ago, aldridgem said:

I think that's the issue for some, with EA on, rain is present but its very transparent. You have to look pretty closely but the rain is there as Benjaim reported previously.

I posted a few screenshots above that demonstrate this. I did find in my sim that with Auto Exposure enabled in P3D, this helped a little with the transparency.

I am not going to worry about it too much. If you are concerned, turn EA off. Then its more noticeable.

I do find that sometimes it's difficult to see fine rain when I look out of my living room windows, unless I look very very closely.  Perhaps we can have too much immersion sometimes? (Please forgive the damp pun..)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

4 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

I do find that sometimes it's difficult to see fine rain when I look out of my living room windows, unless I look very very closely.  Perhaps we can have too much immersion sometimes? (Please forgive the damp pun..)

Yep! that happens in reality too! Especially if you have been staring at a PC monitor for several hours... 😮

Good point Kevin. 😉

Spoiler

Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge

On 12/1/2020 at 8:09 AM, aldridgem said:

EA _= Enhanced Atmospherics -see P3D Lighting settings

FSGRW- FS Global Real Weather - 3rd party weather addon package.

Thanks for the info....personally, I am very happy with Active Sky plus Active Sky Cloud Art....works fine for me and if there is a problem, I am not aware of it...

Sherm

Hi,

Rain is formed by 3d particles that you can see like real water drops when you pause the sim and move the camera. 

I am an audiovisual producer and I can tell you that in real live, for shooting rain you need to make the trick to make it evident in the camera eye, specially when the precipitations are not too hard. 

You can find for example the famouse scene of the classic movie "Singing in the Rain". The production team had to add some mixture of water and milk to make the rain evident. 

Maybe Lockheed can add some milk to the stuff. 😉

Cheers 

Richard

Edited by Gumerson
typo
  • Like 5

Ahhhh... that's the missing ingredient. We need milk in order to tweak our raindrops !!!!  😁

Spoiler

Mark Aldridge

Hasn't the rain always been way overdone in the sims??  Other than really hard downpours IRL, I don't really notice actual rain coming down but it is noticed more by its effect on the ground and with decreased visibility. I will have to try in the sim as I have not hit any areas of rain yet with EA....

• Like 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

here is a heavier rain video I found from real life.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

2 hours ago, Flic1 said:

Hasn't the rain always been way overdone in the sims??  Other than really hard downpours IRL, I don't really notice actual rain coming down but it is noticed more by its effect on the ground and with decreased visibility. I will have to try in the sim as I have not hit any areas of rain yet with EA....

I agree.

To me it has always looked something like sleet in the sim. I'm quite happy with the fact you can't see it as much now - so long as it shows droplets on the cockpit windows, and airport scenery depicts wet runways/taxiways.

Edited by Avionixz
  • Like 4

CPU: i7 11700K @ 5.0 Ghz | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3070 | Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z590-F  | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3200MHz | Harddrive: 3x Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo Plus M.2 SSD | Peripherals: TrackIR 5, Fulcrum One Yoke, Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals

I've always thought that the rain effect in P3d was exaggerated. Precipitation tends to look more like a foggy mist in RL, except where it comes in contact with aircraft glass. The EA precipitation is okay in my opinion.

• Like 2

Well what about snow? I had the heavy snow theme on in my sim and I didn't see any snow at all.