Sign in to follow this  
ThomseN_inc

How is snow implemented in live weather?

Good morning,

i was wondering this. Didn't encounter live weather snow yet but if a metar says its snowing is MSFS then switching to snow and changes the ground textures aswell or is it just the precip?

Best

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

5 hours ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Good morning,

i was wondering this. Didn't encounter live weather snow yet but if a metar says its snowing is MSFS then switching to snow and changes the ground textures aswell or is it just the precip?

Best

Seasons are not enabled yet

Ground textures will change, but it's poorly implemented. Take some of the add-on airports where some ground textures will have snow on them, whilst others are completely clear - looks rubbish imo.

Hopefully this like most other things will improve in time.

Edited by hanhamreds

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

3 minutes ago, hanhamreds said:

Ground textures will change, but it's poorly implemented. Take some of the add-on airports where some ground textures will have snow on them, whilst others are completely clear - looks rubbish imo.

Ok, i expected that.

But what happens for example when i fly between multiple metar stations and on has snow reported, the other one hasnt and so on. Will the ground textures switch at some point in the middle and back?

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

14 minutes ago, hanhamreds said:

I believe the issue with snow and add-on airports was said to be a SDK thing that Asobo are aware of, by Orbx.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Good morning,

Best

I put in a request that not many seemed to get behind (or understood what was being asked) that would allow us to adjust the ground snow level under 'live weather'.  This would go along way into a decent work around until Asobo addresses this.

Adjust ground snow level under 'Live Weather' - Community / General Discussion - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Voteable thread:

Ability to Decouple Snow on Ground from Weather - Self-Service / Wishlist - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I’ve seen live weather snow once so far. It showed a wet tarmac with no accumulation on terrain which was actually very accurate in that circumstance. I’m also quite interested to see if that’s how it always is, or if there’s some sort of accumulation trigger that will cause the snowy terrain to be rendered.

Well it’s snowing here in Toronto lol

As soon as I get a chance I’ll fire up the sim and take a look 

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

OK well I 'd say we have around 10cm of snow on the ground and it is still snowing. In the Sim sitting at my local airport about 10 min north of my house with live weather the skies are overcast and there ae one or two snowflakes falling and no snow on the ground. Not really a true depiction of what is going on outside.

So to answer the OP ... Not that well lol 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

29 minutes ago, Richdem said:

OK well I 'd say we have around 10cm of snow on the ground and it is still snowing. In the Sim sitting at my local airport about 10 min north of my house with live weather the skies are overcast and there ae one or two snowflakes falling and no snow on the ground. Not really a true depiction of what is going on outside.

Yeah, I just noticed this and have been playing with some settings with live weather and snow accumulation.  You can adjust snow accumulation with custom settings, but once you do and then activate live weather it erases the accumulation.  REX will, and I just tested it at CYTZ, have the accumulation reports from METAR and does inject it in, but not the default MSFS.  Unfortunately, the REX metar is horrible and will report wrong stations and wrong info consistently so I don't advise using it.  Moreover, the volumetric clouds just look better in default.  I guess snowbirds will need to wait for this to be addressed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Richdem said:

I am sitting at CYYZ using 'Live Weather' skies are grey but no wet snow. When I switch to 'Unreal Weather - Live METAR' I get grey skies with wet snow and some ground snow along the edge of the runway!

John (CYYZ)

I have yet to see live snow. We have snow here, over 15 cm since 1.5 weeks and it snows often enough. Never seen anything white here that past days (in the sim).

BetaTeamB.png

On 12/1/2020 at 9:52 AM, throwawaysubmit said:

Unfortunately, the REX metar is horrible and will report wrong stations and wrong info consistently so I don't advise using it. 

That's a bold statement, and not really true. I do hope you report your findings with our support as we're willing to assist and fix what's wrong for you. 

On 12/1/2020 at 9:52 AM, throwawaysubmit said:

Moreover, the volumetric clouds just look better in default.  

We don't alter any shaders or internal system properties in regards to volumetric clouds. The visual quality/integrity will be the same whether or not you're using REX.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

I did a flight when we had snow on the ground and snowing and that's what the sim had. Once I broke out of the flurries at the end of the runway there were snow squalls all around. The snow had all melted about a week later and it was gone in the sim. Pretty amazing.

mXJOcAH.jpg

Avsim member since 2002. 1000+ posts on old account.