Sign in to follow this  
The Flight Level

VFR Toronto - Real and Simulated (MSFS) Flight Comparison

Awesome video.  I didn't notice much if any pop in at all.  Did you have Toronto cached locally?  What was your LOD settings.   I was specifically looking for pop in.  I also noticed that despite all that, the "not so great" parts of the photogrammetry that we notice, seemed to be very similar in real life.   

When looking at a mix of real low height buildings and trees, they all kind of merge to form "texture" which is not so easy to distinguish as the skyscrapers are.  That is very close to what we saw IRL on the film.  

3 hours ago, mikegrr said:

Is this video with the stock scenery of Toronto, or with the enhancements available at Flightsim.to?

All stock, no mods or enhancements. The settings are on ultra.

2 hours ago, regis9 said:

I was actually surprised you are allowed to fly that close/low to the CN Tower, what are the rules around that?

When I contact Toronto VFR advisory before entering the control zone, they usually keep me at 2,500’ and always say follow the shoreline. When getting close to the city, they hand me over to City Center. The controllers are very good to inform you of traffic in all directions. Traffic in the opposite direction is usually 500’ below me. They do tell me to stay North of Billy Bishop airport. Nothing is ever mentioned about staying a set distance from the tower. It is very cool getting multiple “warning obstacle” messages when approaching downtown! 

• Like 3

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K

20 minutes ago, Doering said:

I would love for Microsoft and Asobo to see this!

Could share a link with Asobo on twitter or other social media?

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

A beautiful piece of work. One comment I will make concerns the haze we are all familiar with in RW. It seems none of the sims have managed to capture it and the effect on the colors in the distance. Maybe just a bit early for MSFS.

26 minutes ago, wthomas33065 said:

Awesome video.  I didn't notice much if any pop in at all.  Did you have Toronto cached locally?  What was your LOD settings.   I was specifically looking for pop in.  I also noticed that despite all that, the "not so great" parts of the photogrammetry that we notice, seemed to be very similar in real life.   

When looking at a mix of real low height buildings and trees, they all kind of merge to form "texture" which is not so easy to distinguish as the skyscrapers are.  That is very close to what we saw IRL on the film.  

I do not have any scenery cached locally. I will check my LOD setting for you.

@ryanbatcund

It is 1000’ above built up areas. I think you are kept at or below 2,500’ over Toronto because of the proximity to traffic at Billy Bishop (CYTZ) and possibly Pearson (CYYZ) depending on the runways in use. I have seen helicopters beneath me and much lower over the city.

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K

Beautiful video! Really appreciate the time you took to create this. As was said by others, when you can compare the stock sim to real life, and the result is that you have to pick out a few things that differentiate the two, it ain't all that bad. 

I am sure the flight easily cost more than the sim 😉

Edited by OneOfMany

(edited, deleted, self-moderated,  irrelevant to thread)

Once again, great video!

Edited by ivng

29 minutes ago, OneOfMany said:

Beautiful video! Really appreciate the time you took to create this. As was said by others, when you can compare the stock sim to real life, and the result is that you have to pick out a few things that differentiate the two, it ain't all that bad. 

I am sure the flight easily cost more than the sim 😉

Thanks, The flight used 36 liters (9.5 gal) of fuel ($65.00 CDN). Just over an hour (1.3) of total flight time. The plane sips fuel (about 8 gal/hr) compared to many other planes.

Great video, thanks for your work and effort putting this together.

The only minor differences are the seasonal colors and MFS has a couple chimneys with smoke missing...

But hey, can you imagine how things will improve over the next few years! 

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

1 hour ago, Doering said:

Thanks, The flight used 36 liters (9.5 gal) of fuel ($65.00 CDN). Just over an hour (1.3) of total flight time. The plane sips fuel (about 8 gal/hr) compared to many other planes.

Well I did purchase the premium Deluxe version, so maybe I did get ripped off! 

Kidding of course 😂, but that's what us Winterpeggers do. 

2 hours ago, Doering said:

I do not have any scenery cached locally. I will check my LOD setting for you.

If your graphics are set at "ultra" (and not some "custom" setting based on modifying settings after setting "ultra") then both your LOD sliders are set to 200.   I may have to bump that up and lower some other settings so I can get better pop in performance.

18 hours ago, ivng said:

(edited, deleted, self-moderated,  irrelevant to thread)

Once again, great video!

Thanks, no problem!

@Silicus

Absolutely!

@wthomas33065

You are correct! All settings at ultra and the terrain level of detail is 200!

20 hours ago, RudyB24 said:

@Doering What an absolutely wonderfully made video. Thanks.

Thanks for the compliment! 
There is one dislike for the video. Could that possibly be a user of another sim platform? 😉

On 12/3/2020 at 7:15 AM, Wink207 said:

A beautiful piece of work. One comment I will make concerns the haze we are all familiar with in RW. It seems none of the sims have managed to capture it and the effect on the colors in the distance. Maybe just a bit early for MSFS.

The little bit they did/do have generated a heap of complaints on the main MS Forum.   Apparently people prefer nice screenshots over realistic.

You get the same with night lighting and water -  overall most people seem to prefer fairyland xmas night lights and unnatural waves even at low wind speed over realistic