Sign in to follow this  
oriusmagus

advice on new rig needed

Hey guys,

as i need to build a new rig for my dad, I would need your advice on the hardware. I just got a budget limit which is 1000€. It needs to be a solid maschine for office and some basic games (4k required).

I am not a hardware speci, to be honest, so I would love to get some help for that. Any advice on each hardware component is appreciated 🙂

Thank you so much for your advices 😉

Best regards

Developer          www.facebook.com/Crossfeed-Design

Phil

Are you going to build it for him or you're looking for a pre-built system? 

Does the new build require all parts to be bought or are there any parts that'll come from an old PC like PSU, SSD, etc.?

When you say must be 4k it's because he already has a 4k monitor? 

By basic games I guess he doesn't do flight sims and just plays regular not too demanding games?

Right now, I'm thinking best bang for the buck will be a Ryzen processor and mid-range ($200-300) motherboard. As Tektolnes asked, it would be good if you have some existing components that could be re-used, such as a computer case and power supply. 

Some example pricing:

Ryzen 7 1700 - $200

Asus ROG Strix B-450F motherboard - $130

32G RAM - $230

Asus ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700XT 8Gb  - $659

Edited by yurei

thank you both for your answer. He told me that he needs all new and I will build it for him then. I should mention this, sorry 😄

Exactly, he already got an 4k monitor and I guess he wont play hugh things like MSFS.

So, I dont think, that I can use any old component and need everything from skretc 😄 

Thank you for the advice

Developer          www.facebook.com/Crossfeed-Design

Phil

Honestly, with the way stock levels and prices are at the moment, you are better off waiting a month or two for stuff to catch up a bit with demand. Right now the prices are stupid high and stock is non existant.

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

There is so much change happening now both in the CPU and GPU arenas, I would be hesitant to make any recommendations.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

4 hours ago, oriusmagus said:

ok right, but could one can give me a setup, which should be a solid one in "normal" times, so I get an idea of the components?

Here's a few links I quickly threw together seeing you're in the market for something now it seems. You can use the partpicker site to put together your own builds to get an idea of the price. A few quick google searches on comparisons between CPUs/GPUs will show you benchmark videos on Youtube which will give you a fair idea of what performance to expect. I'd encourage you to do some research as my list was put together pretty quickly without doing much research. 

I don't game at 4K myself so for the on budget systems I think a 2060 Super is about the lowest you'd want to go but maybe others could give their input. The new 3060ti in the better builds would be a bit better than a 2080 Super which would do the job pretty well I think for ordinary games at 4K. You might want to check what monitor your Dad has as well to see which GPU would go better with it as if the monitor has Freesync you might want to get an AMD GPU but if it's got GSync compatibility better to go with Nvidia (particularly for the older generation of GPUs).

Edited by Tektolnes

Unfortunately with 1.000€ it will not be easy to attain playable performance at native 4K resolution. You will need to dump a lot on the GPU and skimp on everything else, which is quite difficult now due to supply constraints. Pretty much all components have gone up in price the last month or so, even from the last generation. For several months you could find incredible deals on Zen 2 CPUs which are great all-rounders, but now they sell above MSRP in most of Europe.

For a decent CPU and GPU you just have to wait, no way around it. It is impossible to tell right now which combination will provide the best value in a few months from now, so I would recommend not trying to plan a system out right now. If you can find good deals on a case, RAM, PSU or other components though I wouldn't wait too long. Supply can be unpredictable (especially with much of air cargo space being taken by vaccines soon), and today one of Micron's DDR4/LPDDR4 factories suffered a power outage that could limit DRAM supply (eventually leading to yet another price fixing incident).