Sign in to follow this  
fsxmissionguy

Not flyable any more

Welp ... after the update, attempted to fly the NY-DC content. Approaching New York, the sim got very laggy, eventually crashed to desktop between the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty.

This on a brand-new, very high-end computer with very high-end graphics card. Reminds me of the original release of FSX, which was also unflyable.

Full disclosure: I worked for Aces on FSX-Acceleration.

Guess its back to waiting for the next update.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, fsxmissionguy said:

So... Judging by the amount of FSX code still left inside MSFS.  I have to hold you partly accountable for where we are today, and for some of the issues then!  😕

Don't worry, I am joking - welcome to the forums.  😁 You may have some insight for us. 👍

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

2 hours ago, fsxmissionguy said:

There is another alternative :tongue:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 hours ago, fsxmissionguy said:

Welp ... after the update, attempted to fly the NY-DC content. Approaching New York, the sim got very laggy, eventually crashed to desktop between the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty.

This on a brand-new, very high-end computer with very high-end graphics card. Reminds me of the original release of FSX, which was also unflyable.

I also have high end PC but guess it means different things to different people. I do experience CTD once in a while, but it is mostly due to conflict with 3rd part add ons or other conflicts. For example last CTD I had is due to conflict between ORBX and Drzewiecki Design add on . So unless you get us some specific what you run, what are your setting,  and how did you fly, I have no idea what to tell you except I flown in DC, NY area numerous time without single problems.

P.S. I'm running i9-10900, 32G, RTX 2080 Super I'm running MSFS on Ultra with V-sync off

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I have a "mid level" system described below. And I run 4 monitors as well as AirManager.

No problem at all around DC or NYC. Both in GA aircraft, PA-44, or A320NX Tubeliner.

I don't have any additional scenery added in those areas. 

Maybe you need to refresh your cache. Or decrease the size of it, just a thought.

• Like 1

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

Your mileage may vary I guess because my experience with MSFS is so far removed from what it was like when I first got FSX. MSFS just works. The performance I get from it is good enough for me to not think about it like I always had to with FSX. Anyway, sometimes a reinstall is just what the doctor ordered. If you're playing in 4K, make sure your render scaling isn't set to 200. Had a friend that had CTD issues that got fixed when he set it to 100.

Edited by Krakin
  • Like 3

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

3 hours ago, fsxmissionguy said:

attempted to fly the NY-DC content. Approaching New York, the sim got very laggy, eventually crashed to desktop between the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty.

Can you see if this occurs in ATL as well? Try taking off from KPDK and head SW - was having something similar in that area (but no CTD)

52 minutes ago, Krakin said:

If you're playing in 4K, make sure your render scaling isn't set to 200. Had a friend that had CTD issues that got fixed when he set it to 100.

So he was trying to run in 8k basically!  Well good on him for giving it a go! 😄

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Just for clarification, I'm running a brand new system with just Microsoft Flight Simulator installed on it. No add-ons or any other software installed. Specifically for the purpose of testing Flight Simulator.

Am also patiently waiting for the mission API so I can start making some great content again for you guys!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

New York seems to be the most intense region in the sim. You can pretty much fly anywhere else and the sim performs much better - at least for me.

I am running it maxed out at 2.5k and other than NY its been great performance wise.