Sign in to follow this  
kenny584

Hi Folks.

I cannot get the default Cessna 172 to start and when I turn on the Battery the radios are dead. Can someone give me a runthrough how to get it started and how to switch the radios on please? I thought that I would go to the flight training section and go through the first lessons in case I was doing something incorrectly. However, I get a message saying that I am missing some bits and to go to the Download Content Manager. When I go there I see a list of stuff but no real info as to what to do next. Again, any ideas why the lessons are not starting for me?

Cheers...Kenny.

Maybe you forgot to open the fuel shutoff valve (little red knob at the bottom in the middle of the panel)? This is usually opened by default in other simulators if you start cold and dark but Asobo decided to have it closed. 

Took me quite some forum search to find this. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to save a modified default configuration so far.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

The fuel valve should not cause a dead battery and the engine sould still turn over though not start.  i will be interested to see if the OP finds the reason.

I'm assuming that the master switch is turned on.

Edited by cianpars

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Hi lads. My apologies I should have said that I am familiar with the 172 from FSX and have a good checklist for it. The new 2020 checklist is a bit sparse!! Anyway, the engine cranks over but does not start even with the Fuel Cutoff valve in the correct position. It is a bit confusing isn't it?

cianpars, when you mention the master, are you meaning the Battery Master or is there an Avionics Master as per FSX? I'll have another try and be a bit more detailed with my observations. I'll post back later.

Regards...Ken.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kenny584 said:

I thought that I would go to the flight training section and go through the first lessons in case I was doing something incorrectly. However, I get a message saying that I am missing some bits and to go to the Download Content Manager. When I go there I see a list of stuff but no real info as to what to do next. Again, any ideas why the lessons are not starting for me?

Most likely, the lessons have not been downloaded/installed.

When you go to the Content Manager and get to the "list of stuff", scroll through that list and look for things that say "In Library". Those items are things that are available but have not been downloaded and installed. Clicking on such an item should give you an option at the bottom of the screen to download and/or install.

Hope that helps,

...jim

• Like 1

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

6 minutes ago, JimBrown said:

Most likely, the lessons have not been downloaded/installed.

When you go to the Content Manager and get to the "list of stuff", scroll through that list and look for things that say "In Library". Those items are things that are available but have not been downloaded and installed. Clicking on such an item should give you an option at the bottom of the screen to download and/or install.

Agreed. Or, if you have so much stuff installed that it's a nightmare to scroll through the whole lot to see which bits haven't been installed, there's a 'select all' checkbox, and then you can click download (or install, or something similar) at the bottom to download everything that's missing. It won't download the stuff that's already installed. This is the way I do it.

spacer.png
filbertflies.comYouTube | Twitch

i7 13700k, GeForce RTX 3080Ti, 32GB RAM

There are two avionics switches on my honeycomb yoke that need to be on, not sure what switches they activate on the panel though.

Also I think you have to operate the fuel pump for a few seconds before starting from cold.

Not been in the 172 for a while so I'd have to take a look to be sure.

55 minutes ago, Blat14 said:

Also I think you have to operate the fuel pump for a few seconds before starting from cold.

This does apply to the real C172 (and to her A2A siblings) but not to the MSFS C172, which I have flown quite ofthen. It's just the 2 masters, the shutoff valve, the starter (+ throttle of course) and the avionics masters which get her going.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Hi Jim. I have no mention of  'In Library' in the Content Manager. I have selected all of the Items. Most of them say 'Up To Date' with a vesion number and size. Other items say ' Custom Content'. These are items I have downloaded from Flightsim.to but have as yet to unzip and install manually into the Community Folder. I do not think that they would affect the lessons starting though as they are simply 3rd party addons. I have no Options at the bottom of the Content Manager screen. I'm at a loss as to what to do next because when I click on the Lessons I get a pop up saying that Items are missing and to go to the Content Manager. There is no indication what the missing items are or how to 'Manage' them. I don't know what to do to fix the Missing Items pop up.

Any further advice?

Doh, I am having a senior moment here coupled with my lack of familiarity with 2020. I am trying to start the Default 152 not the 172. The 152 refuses to fire the engine. It just cranks over and then stops with no startup. I have the fuel turned on, the engine is primed and the battery and alternator are on. When I turn the key, the prop turns and then stops. The radios are still off and I cannot see a switch to turn them on. Any advice on this also?

Thanks...Kenny.

Edited by kenny584

6 hours ago, kenny584 said:

I have no mention of  'In Library' in the Content Manager. I have selected all of the Items. Most of them say 'Up To Date' with a vesion number and size. Other items say ' Custom Content'. These are items I have downloaded from Flightsim.to but have as yet to unzip and install manually into the Community Folder.

This intrigues me. I was not aware that the Content Manager would know about anything you downloaded but had not installed. Are you placing the downloaded zip file in the Community folder? If so, I would recommend not doing this. I have a feeling that MSFS is able to read the contents of the zip file, is seeing the manifest.json file and is using that to add the package to the Content Manager. But it is unable to do anything else with the package because it is still a zip file.

6 hours ago, kenny584 said:

I have no Options at the bottom of the Content Manager screen. I'm at a loss as to what to do next because when I click on the Lessons I get a pop up saying that Items are missing and to go to the Content Manager. There is no indication what the missing items are or how to 'Manage' them. I don't know what to do to fix the Missing Items pop up.

The only other recommendation I have is to move everything out of the Community folder to a temporary location outside of MSFS and try again. If that works, then carefully move addons back, testing as you go.

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

On 12/3/2020 at 7:38 AM, kenny584 said:

Hi lads. My apologies I should have said that I am familiar with the 172 from FSX and have a good checklist for it. The new 2020 checklist is a bit sparse!! Anyway, the engine cranks over but does not start even with the Fuel Cutoff valve in the correct position. It is a bit confusing isn't it?

cianpars, when you mention the master, are you meaning the Battery Master or is there an Avionics Master as per FSX? I'll have another try and be a bit more detailed with my observations. I'll post back later.

Regards...Ken.

I "think" I had to play with the fuel mixture to get it to start.   Crack the throttle open a 1/4 inch,  and then try either leaning out your mixture manually a bit from full rich,  or try mapping "Set Best Mixture" to a key or button.

36 minutes ago, Waldo Pepper said:

You have to hold the starter switch in the start position for several seconds.  Takes practice with the mouse wheel.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

7 hours ago, JimBrown said:
13 hours ago, kenny584 said:

I have no Options at the bottom of the Content Manager screen. I'm at a loss as to what to do next because when I click on the Lessons I get a pop up saying that Items are missing and to go to the Content Manager. There is no indication what the missing items are or how to 'Manage' them. I don't know what to do to fix the Missing Items pop up.

The only other recommendation I have is to move everything out of the Community folder to a temporary location outside of MSFS and try again. If that works, then carefully move addons back, testing as you go.

...jim

Had another thought.

Since it is saying that there are missing items, it's possible that the lesson did not download correctly, or that one or more files for the lessons are corrupt.

If the above does not work, try deleting the "asobo-flight-tutorials-*" folders from the "Official/<something>/" folder. This should make the Content Manager show the lessons as available for download again.

...jim

Aside from everything mentioned above check that it actually has fuel. Sometimes the game seems to spawn aircraft with empty tanks.

Mixtures are not realistic in game at moment you need something like 70% lean even as low as 3500 feet.

Another thing to try as a test is the default start up key which from memory is CTRL and E .

4 hours ago, fppilot said:

You have to hold the starter switch in the start position for several seconds.  Takes practice with the mouse wheel.

Yep.  Or click to right of Start position and hold for quite a few seconds - a single click or roll of the mouse wheel doesn't hold it in Start position long enough to kick over properly.

• Like 1