Sign in to follow this  
sd_flyer

While Asobo fixing their own patches...

Live weather shows  my home airport wind 73 at 8kts. This what METAR shows.  Please do tell me how 19 to 29 kts wind translated to 8. I want to know what kind of math go behind this approximation  ?

KCRQ 031653Z 07019G29KT 10SM CLR 19/M16 A3018 RMK AO2 PK WND 06029/1649 SLP217 T01941156

Notice: they have improved it a bit according to themselves. A topic no longer come up on Q&A  I guess they consider as "solved" it . They have much bigger problems right now fixing stuff they broke... 

Edited by sd_flyer
  • Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

21 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Live weather shows  my home airport wind 73 at 8kts. This what METAR shows.  Please do tell me how 19 to 29 kts wind translated to 8. I want to know what kind of math go behind this approximation  ?

KCRQ 031653Z 07019G29KT 10SM CLR 19/M16 A3018 RMK AO2 PK WND 06029/1649 SLP217 T01941156

Notice: they have improved it a bit according to themselves. A topic no longer come up on Q&A  I guess they consider as "solved" it . They have much bigger problems right now fixing stuff they broke... 

Out of curiosity, are you connected to the west coast server?

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

7 minutes ago, FrankR409 said:

Out of curiosity, are you connected to the west coast server?

In fact I checked it in the morning! Yes!

For whatever it might be worth, I went to the Meteoblue web site

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/aviation/air/mcclellan–palomar-airport_united-states-of-america_5371378

which, as you can see, points to the Aviation/Air data. It looks like this depicts a multiday forecast. If you look at the wind speed graph (one up from the bottom, in cyan), it shows something like 10 kts from the east. I'm just guessing here (as I think everyone else is), but it may well be that it is that weather (which this web page specifically notes corresponds to a 30x30 km area, not a specific locality within that grid) which FS2020 displays. This creates a "smoothed" weather depiction for the simulator, and avoids the challenge for METAR based weather engines of providing a depiction between airports (or over the ocean) that somehow varies gracefully between reporting point and over time.

This has been widely discussed previously elsewhere on this forum. Some people want the weather smoothed and the overall atmospheric model to appear realistic, while others want the simulator to accurately depict the METAR weather. Fortunately, even at this early stage, one can take one's choice and enjoy the weather one wants.

Edited by jrw4
Typo
  • Like 1

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

8 minutes ago, jrw4 said:

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/aviation/air/mcclellan–palomar-airport_united-states-of-america_5371378

which, as you can see, points to the Aviation/Air data. It looks like this depicts a multiday forecast. If you look at the wind speed graph (one up from the bottom, in cyan), it shows something like 10 kts from the east. I'm just guessing here (as I think everyone else is), but it may well be that it is that weather (which this web page specifically notes corresponds to a 30x30 km area, not a specific locality within that grid) which FS2020 displays. This creates a "smoothed" weather depiction for the simulator, and avoids the challenge for METAR based weather engines of providing a depiction between airports (or over the ocean) that somehow varies gracefully between reporting point and over time.

This has been widely discussed previously elsewhere on this forum. Some people want the weather smoothed and the overall atmospheric model to appear realistic, while others want the simulator to accurately depict the METAR weather. Fortunately, even at this early stage, one can take one's choice and enjoy the weather one wants.

Just to give a perceptive San Diego wind aloft (the whole area not particular airport), we may say more than 30x30 km

image0.png?width=573&height=1240

Edited by sd_flyer

20 minutes ago, jrw4 said:

I'd strongly recommend reviewing all the recent Dev Q&As rather than speculating on what the weather is supposed to do.

The devs have stated that the live weather engine is supposed to consume both METAR data and the Meteoblue data and smooth between them so the the weather at airports it accurate to the METAR.

There was a thread recently on the official forum about the winds decreasing by a factor of 1/2 between 1000 ft and ground level and the actual ground level wind being 1/2 of what was set  as the ground level wind with the present wind dialog box.  Maybe that has something to do with what is being seen here. (I haven't tried this yet myself to see if it is true).

Edited by marsman2020

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

4 minutes ago, marsman2020 said:

so the the weather at airports it accurate to the METAR.

but its not, different qnh, different wind direction

Edited by BackboneOne

Yes, that's a great point made by @marsman2020. That "smooth between them" part may be a bit mysterious because there are many airports reporting METARs, so how does one smooth between them when they're all at different distances, and the METARs change at least hourly. Is that calculation being done at every point in real time, etc., and if so where is this calculation being done?

This is a challenge that goes way beyond desktop flight simulators and actually impacts real world weather forecasting using supercomputers.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

Since Meteoblue also tracks snow depth, I wouldn't be surprised if that came to the sim eventually.

11 minutes ago, BackboneOne said:

but its not, different qnh, different wind direction

That's how the devs said it's supposed to work, it's entirely possible it's still not quite working as expected.

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

Hello all,

I noticed something today after reading this thread which may be a known issue or may be my lack of understanding of how the game works. But after seeing this thread I checked in game the weather at Palomar airport KCRQ with live weather US WEST server and the world map was showing me 6 knot winds 070. After loading into game at the 'pre-flight' screen with the 'ready to fly' button the winds at Palomar were showing 17 knots 070, altimeter 3019, very gusty in the cockpit which is much closer to the METAR posted by sd flyer earlier. So for whatever reason the world map was displaying different wind information than the actual winds in game. Hope this helps, sorry if this post is redundant. 

As a side note, there is a freeware version of KCRQ floating around (I found a version on Nexus Mods, created by Captain VTOL) and while it isn't perfect to the real thing, it adds many more airport buildings. highly recommend for any socal explorers. I absolutely love adventuring around the area in Robert Young's turbo bonanza.