Sign in to follow this  
767lover

good time to invest in VR glasses, which one?

Since VR for MSFS is coming out this month, the question of getting a VR glasses becomes relevant. 

Can anyone recommend one and do the recommended PC specs for it match those recommended ones for MSFS itself? 

Or would it be better to wait till the technique matures more.

Thanks

You need a hella fast PC first is my understanding, so spend money updating your PC before getting a headset; they have published higher minimum requirements for VR including a GTX1080 with 8GB+ and 16GB RAM because VR is effectively running two narrow monitors at 1440p resolution or greater.

I believe most people use Oculus Quest, Oculus Rift S or Playstation VR. However, I'm not sure MFS will support any of those, initial support is being targeted at Microsoft's Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) headsets and specifically the HP Reverb G but I expect old Lenovo Explorer and Samsung Odyssey will work as they're WMR compatible.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I decided on and purchased a 8k headset from Pimax.  I just received them yesterday but its going to be another couple weeks before I have all my components my new rig I'm putting together. I'm dying to put the new headset through its paces but it being 8k, I won't bother with my 7700k and 1080ti.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

Let me start off with "IN MY OPINION FROM MY OWN GENERAL EXPERIENCE"

You can't loose with a 

Rift S

Reverb G1/G2

Samsung Odyssey Plus

Valve Index

Tethered to a 32GB of RAM 8700k/1080ti spec PC or better .

I feel this is the minimum spec for a great time in MSFS in VR in my opinion for great performance and eye candy.

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

5 hours ago, ckyliu said:

You need a hella fast PC first is my understanding, so spend money updating your PC before getting a headset; they have published higher minimum requirements for VR including a GTX1080 with 8GB+ and 16GB RAM because VR is effectively running two narrow monitors at 1440p resolution or greater.

I believe most people use Oculus Quest, Oculus Rift S or Playstation VR. However, I'm not sure MFS will support any of those, initial support is being targeted at Microsoft's Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) headsets and specifically the HP Reverb G but I expect old Lenovo Explorer and Samsung Odyssey will work as they're WMR compatible.

MSFS stated they would eventually support the whole Oculus Line Up.

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

Reverb G2 - for flightsim I think it is by far the best.

However, running that in FS2020 will probably require one the best GPUs available. I wouldn't go lower than 3080

Asobo has now stated ALL VR headsets will be supported at VR launch (December 23rd?).  They had originally planned to support only Windows Mixed Reality headsets at launch, and add others (like Oculus) later, but that plan has changed.

I have used both an Oculus Rift-S and a HP Reverb G2 in other flight simulators (XP11 and DCS) and both are fantastic!  The Reverb G2 is a definite step up from the Rift-S in the image and audio quality areas, but both are very immersive.  I refuse to "fly" looking at a flat display in any flight simulator again after experiencing VR simming (I only fire up MSFS to keep current with updates right now).

Minimum specs for a decent VR experience in my opinion:  32GB Ram, near top of the line Intel or AMD CPU (I run an I7 9700K at 5ghz), 1080ti or better GPU.   I'm sure you can get away with slightly less specs (like 16Gb ram), but you may have to run slightly lower settings to maintain decent FPS and frametimes.

On 12/3/2020 at 6:11 PM, 767lover said:

Or would it be better to wait till the technique matures more.

waiting for what, the matrix? Do it now or dont do it.

You get hocked by VR or not, it dont depends on just one thing a headset have or dont have.

If you are completely new to VR i would go for the cheapest one or even better try first VR at someone who have it allready to experience VR by yourself.

I got hocked by VR 8 years ago with the Oculus DK1 (res. per eye 640×800)

right now the new G2 is praised mainly because of its high resolution,

but people forget that there are hardly any computers that can display this resolution in VR fluid (especially ina  tripple A game)

So beyound a new headset you need a decent computer, i would say you need a beefy system,

actually for VR you need the best of the best if possible.

Enjoy VR!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nedo68 said:

waiting for what, the matrix? Do it now or dont do it.

You get hocked by VR or not, it dont depends on just one thing a headset have or dont have.

If you are completely new to VR i would go for the cheapest one or even better try first VR at someone who have it allready to experience VR by yourself.

I got hocked by VR 8 years ago with the Oculus DK1 (res. per eye 640×800)

right now the new G2 is praised mainly because of its high resolution,

but people forget that there are hardly any computers that can display this resolution in VR fluid (especially ina  tripple A game)

So beyound a new headset you need a decent computer, i would say you need a beefy system,

actually for VR you need the best of the best if possible.

Enjoy VR!

8yej3rasomzy.jpg

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2