Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

Let me show you around Shoreham-by-Sea Airport...

[From Orbx's past weekend SALE, I picked up a couple of (pretty) small-town (UK) airport sceneries (EGKA/Shoreham and EGCW/Welshpool), one in England and the other in Wales (I like small airports...🙂...). I am posting my experience with these two airports. This post is the first one. In the 2nd (separate) post, for Welshpool, I've also included images from my first flight with Carenado's EMB505 Phenom 300, an aircraft I had acquired in the past but never flown. So, here, we go, first, with Shoreham...]

Shoreham (short for Shoreham-by-Sea) is an Airport I had come to know (in the SIM world) since a long while ago...(I recall, I'd come across it first time via a thorough article about it in one of the Aviation magazines). The Airport is a well-known site for flying lessons (in addition to being a public transport airport). The airport is used by privately owned light aeroplanes and flying schools (see busy scenes below). On 2 May 2014, Brighton City Airport Ltd took ownership of the airport, and it is now officially renamed as Brighton City Airport (though it still commonly goes by its historic "Shoreham" name). Now, how about this impressive fact: This is the oldest continuously operating airport, in the UK, founded in 1910, and is also (often) cited to be the oldest purpose build commercial airport in the world...! See screenshot, below, of signpost.

I did a bit of looking around on this statistic, and one (internet) source, yielded the following as the (Top 3) oldest ranked Airports, in the world.

1. College Park Airport, Maryland, USA (1909)
  2. Shoreham Airport, UK (1910)
  3. Hamburg Airport, Germany (1911)

Apparently, however, Shoreham does take the honor of being "the oldest purpose-build commercial airport in the world". Interesting...! Being in flying operations, since 1909, the airport and the immediate surroundings, are obviously associated with fascinating bits of (aviation) history. The aerodrome (as it is correctly called) played a role in both WW I and WW II. Until 1981, the (airport) landing area was entirely grass (see screenshot, below, for the criss-crossing 25/31 Grass Runways) until an Asphalt runway (02/20) was built. The airport houses Northbrook (Engineering) College (see screenshot) for Aerospace and Aviation.

Personally, my appeal to this small airport, is mostly due to its (old-fashioned and beautiful) art deco style (main) terminal building. Those type of (classic) Airport buildings are now symbols of the (bygone) past and not much seen around any more...! BTW, this (Orbx) scenery add-on does have a "working" Clock-face on the airside main building (the (other) front side of the building does also have a clock - see screenshot along with the "propeller" monument in foreground; the propeller is from a Martin B-26 Marauder that had crashed in the English Channel in June 1944). To test the clock, on the airside of the main building, I stood waiting 5 minutes looking up (virtually) at the clock-face and did, indeed, observe the minute-hand advance accordingly...! Shoreham airport, town, and port are by the seaside (see final two screenshots, below) in West Sussex, England. You may also catch (screenshot) sights of the River Adur that runs through the town with the mouth of the River emptying on the English Channel (to the south of the town).

Hope you enjoy this tour of this historic airport...! Thanks for your interest...! Happy flying...!!

[Orbx(Shoreham)/Orbx(BOB)REX]

U2Vsgp.png

YHusG6.png

bFxcJ4.png

esx7o5.png

ZOrS2U.png

nuQfdY.png

VAOuf3.png

RhlrKK.png

UYKtA0.png

E7kT5X.png

8pJwUv.png

w98tx9.png

MHSbxq.png

OBrT7d.png

6OicjG.png

x3ljla.png

a1i4HT.png

c4Pk4o.png

9RxoOf.png

tEY1ot.png

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Nice pics. and an interesting potted history too. 😎

Hopefully someone is in that briefing room explaining why the suspension, axles, prop shafts and differentials have apparently been stolen from the Land Rover and Carmichael Range Rover emergency vehicles, before anyone attempts to drive them. 🤣

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

16 hours ago, Chock said:

the suspension, axles, prop shafts and differentials have apparently been stolen

They have been chopped, sectioned and repurposed A-Team style for use under those military beige coloured trucks :wink:

I concur, another great little historical post and a nicely detailed airport too!

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

23 hours ago, Chock said:

Nice pics. and an interesting potted history too. 😎

Hopefully someone is in that briefing room explaining why the suspension, axles, prop shafts and differentials have apparently been stolen from the Land Rover and Carmichael Range Rover emergency vehicles, before anyone attempts to drive them. 🤣

6 hours ago, HighBypass said:

They have been chopped, sectioned and repurposed A-Team style for use under those military beige coloured trucks :wink:

I concur, another great little historical post and a nicely detailed airport too!

Thanks, Alan and Mark...!!

Yeah...these Land Rovers and Range Rovers...will not even make it to level roads, forget being the legends of all-terrain...🙂...

Just another point of view... I enjoyed it!

• Like 1

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

I can see, you're trying to catch up, Harald, going back to a month of screenshots...that's OK...🙂...

Have a great New Year...!!

Yes, I had some weeks to catch up... real world interfered...

Thanks, may you have a lucky and healthy new year, too!

• Like 1

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

I enjoyed my visit. Thanks for the invitation!

• Like 1

P3Dv5.4 / Win11: 22H2 / CPU: 10980K at 5.0GHz / Memory: 32Gb at 3600 MHz / GPU:  RTX 3090 / Display: Benq x3000i pj on Silver Ticket 110" screen