Sign in to follow this  
AndreasAgios

Unreallistic Overcast

Hello pilots! When you approach to an airport that has rainy weather there is no overcast but break clouds here and there with rain or snow! This is unreallistc, it should be overcast when you descent under clouds! The overcast sometimes appears only many minutes after you land, during taxing but it should appear when you go under the clouds and rain starts! Also many times when you take off with overcast, this overcast dissapears only a few seconds after take off before even reach the cloud's altitude!

Is this a problem of my weather machine?

Is this a problem of cloud textures?

Is this a problem of FSUIPC?

Any ideas please?

I am using FSREALWX! 

Can you show your FSUIPC settings.

nebojsa

these are what my Overcast stratus clouds look like. I looked into why FS9 stratus clouds look like word not allowed when they are only 1000-2000ft thick and I think it's due to the texture being layed flat. this photo the stratus were 5000ft thick with the cloud itself being around 1000ft thick. shame we cant get the actual thickness to match the "set thickness" either way with Cumulus clouds I have no problems at all. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10IuHyauZo4AzhjQUGmPlqfQ-JJMf5Lwb/view?usp=sharing

these are using REX skyforce cloud sprites and REX skyforce textures.

1 hour ago, ShortFinal said:

these are what my Overcast stratus clouds look like. I looked into why FS9 stratus clouds look like word not allowed when they are only 1000-2000ft thick and I think it's due to the texture being layed flat. this photo the stratus were 5000ft thick with the cloud itself being around 1000ft thick. shame we cant get the actual thickness to match the "set thickness" either way with Cumulus clouds I have no problems at all. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10IuHyauZo4AzhjQUGmPlqfQ-JJMf5Lwb/view?usp=sharing

Mine looked like this:
image.png.692a471cb2ed72dd4f79a2208088f74c.png

FSX SE, REX textures, Active Sky 16 live weather. Stratocumulus. 

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

6 hours ago, ShortFinal said:

How do you get the REX SkyForce sprites? You noticed difference from default sprites?

if you get and install skyforce, there will be cloud sprites installed to FSX or P3D. copy them and paste into your FS9 sprites folder. make sure to remove the old sprites first. they work without any modifications. I prefer them myself. the clouds (especially cumulonimbus) have a fuller appearance

3 hours ago, ShortFinal said:

if you get and install skyforce, there will be cloud sprites installed to FSX or P3D. copy them and paste into your FS9 sprites folder. make sure to remove the old sprites first. they work without any modifications. I prefer them myself. the clouds (especially cumulonimbus) have a fuller appearance

Good but I dont have FSX or P3D 

19 hours ago, AndreasAgios said:

Good but I dont have FSX or P3D 

the FS9 sprites are good as well. 

note: if you run 1024 cloud textures, use 512. and also choose textures with not too much over the top detail. more soft edges almost. this will make the cloud appear more 3D and volumetric. especially when flying through it. 

Flight Simulator 2004/Weather/Clouds. inside are a bunch of .cld files. these are all the cloud models for FS2004. you can copy the FSX or P3D or REX sprites to FS2004 and they will work as well. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ShortFinal said:

Flight Simulator 2004/Weather/Clouds. inside are a bunch of .cld files. these are all the cloud models for FS2004. you can copy the FSX or P3D or REX sprites to FS2004 and they will work as well. 

I bought it tonight so I will report back asap. 😅

In FS9.cfg file make sure Cloud Coverage Density is set to 12 instead of the default 8 setting. This will make clouds overcast. Hope this helps you.

8 hours ago, PSSDash8 said:

In FS9.cfg file make sure Cloud Coverage Density is set to 12 instead of the default 8 setting. This will make clouds overcast. Hope this helps you.

does this actually do anything? or is it like the Autogen placebo effect? I can't try it at the moment so just wondering. could you post before and after shots with these settings?