Sign in to follow this  
Stelios

Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device

When I press the desktop shortcut to open MSFS2020 I get the below message.

"Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device" in MSFS 2020?

Is it safe to disable this and how?

Stelios

Stelios Christofides

Why wouldn’t it be safe to allow changes?

it’s a product that’s published by Microsoft, not some 3rd party scenery/aircraft developer that is from the back and beyond that includes malware.

Considering it has a updater built into the product, I’m guessing it needs permissions for for that, but could be wrong.

Edited by flightskyc

Good old Microsoft's User Account Control interfering with even programs from it's own company! I've had that a couple of times with MSFS too. No way to disable it without disabling UAC. In principle, it's good safeguard to have in Windows, but it has no ability to remember your reply to prevent it nagging you about something you know is safe time after time after time...🙄

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

109 is right. It’s the UAC. I can’t find any way to whitelist programs that trigger this alert. 

Intel i7-11700K@3.60 GHZ. 32 GB RTX 4070 Ti OC

I’ve considered turning it off and trusting the hyper-aggressive security features of the latest Windows. It is annoying to have to get nagged ever single time I start a program.

Why doesn't it do it when I open Word or Excel ?

Stelios Christofides

24 minutes ago, Stelios said:

Why doesn't it do it when I open Word or Excel ?

It's a good question, and only Microsoft can answer that one for certain. UAC is supposed to warn of a potentially malicious program which may "make changes to your system". Now, Word probably is fairly secure as Office programs go, but Excel could certainly contain malicious code, so you'd think UAC would prompt you every time. But I suppose MS don't want their users thinking all their programs are vulnerable to hidden exploits, so they disable UAC from popping up for them. 🙄

Prior to Windows 10, I u

15 hours ago, Stelios said:

Can you disable just for MSFS 2020?

And no, you can't, unfortunately - it's on or off for everything.🙄

Edited by 109Sqn

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

I have two shortcuts to bootup MSFS: one is a 'run as administrator' shortcut and the other one is not.

The first requires me to click for to allow changes. But the second shortcut does not because it is not a run as administer shortcut.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

6 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

Prior to Windows 10, I u

Didn't realise I'd deleted part of that post. It should have said "Prior to Windows 10, I disabled UAC because I actually know what I'm doing when I start a program, however it's actually less intrusive than it used to be , but equally I feel there are more threats to a PC's safe operation nowadays, so I put up with it now"

UAC confirmation is required when an application needs administrative rights. That could be the case if a programm tries to access and or modify system files (I can also be wrong here).

I have UAC disabled but those messages still pop-up. Windows XP was much better there.

1 hour ago, Fielder said:

I have two shortcuts to bootup MSFS: one is a 'run as administrator' shortcut and the other one is not.

The first requires me to click for to allow changes. But the second shortcut does not because it is not a run as administer shortcut.

Why dont you have just one tho? (run as admin one) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, leprechaunlive said:

Why dont you have just one tho? (run as admin one) 

A bug was that the marketplace sometimes does not work (greyed out) if you run MSFS as administrator. Running not as administrator cured problem.

This problem and solution was in this forum here a lot way back in September, so maybe it's not an issue any more.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

All of a sudden it doesn't ask me "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device" 

and I haven't changed any settings.....

Stelios Christofides