Sign in to follow this  
kokelas1

Rudder problem FS2020

Hey,

in my simulator FS2020 the rudder moves from a small turn of the joystick directly to the extreme position, right or left. Because of this, Cessna or Airbus are very tricky to steer on the runway. That is, the rudder has only two positions: In the middle or completely on either side.

This is happening with the new Airbus (Thrustmaster) controllers and also happened with the previous second brand controllers. In addition, this is done with the Enter command on the keyboard. The rudder goes to the right extreme right away.

Other steering directions and throttle work well.

The controllers have been calibrated correctly and all settings of the FS2020 simulator have been tested. These steps will not help the problem. Also, the FS2020 has been completely reinstalled and does not help.

Miraculously, in my other simulator, the P3D4.5, there is no problem, even though the P3D4.5 is on the same computer and I use the same joystick and throttle.

Many simulator enthusiasts do not have this problem in the FS2020.

What can I do to get the rudder to follow the joystick movement correctly?

Did you happen to assign the corresponding joystick axis (Z or whatever) to "Rudder" instead of  "Rudder Axis" in the MSFS Controls settings?

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

39 minutes ago, kokelas1 said:

There is no rudder text in the Controls menu of the MS2020 simulator.

Sorry, you are right. They had this during the alpha and it was misleading and led to just the behavior you desribed. Fortunately it's gone now indeed, there's only Rudder left/right/center left.

Glenn has it right, that's where you should put it.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

13 minutes ago, pmb said:

Sorry, you are right. They had this during the alpha and it was misleading and led to just the behavior you desribed. Fortunately it's gone now indeed, there's only Rudder left/right/center left.

Glenn has it right, that's where you should put it.

Kind regards, Michael

Installed correctly as Glenn says.

Edited by kokelas1

Plus, I would also have a look into the sensitivity settings (in Glenn's shot at the l.h.s.). Normally they are just a "straight line", but who knows.

Kind regards, Michael

My rudder pedals broke, so I tried to use the keyboard rudder assignments.  Unfortunately they work like ON/OFF switches.

I'm not convinced that auto rudder works either as there seems to be no movement of the pedals entering a turn (though the balance ball seems to stay fairly centred.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

The rudder movement has been jerky since release, but I have not noticed that it has gotten worse since the last patch, the only thing you can do to relieve the behavior is to reduce the sensitivity on the axis, if I remember correctly I use -60.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Today is a day of joy for the FS2020 sim!🙂

Our family member (ICT professional) got the joystick to work properly for the rudder as well. Now the movement of the rudder is analogous to the rotation of the joystick, as it should be.

The fault was in the calibration of the stick. The drivers for the Airbus stick apparently had been installed automatically and could no longer be calibrated, even though the Thrustmaster calibration table was displayed. It also showed that the rotation of the stick works on / off in the green bar.

The initial calibration of the stick was reset according to the instructions below and the stick was recalibrated accordingly. This solved the problem!

https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments/3mylfn/tflight_hotas_x_throttle_sensitivity_jumps_to_100/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kokelas1 said:

Today is a day of joy for the FS2020 sim!🙂

Our family member (ICT professional) got the joystick to work properly for the rudder as well. Now the movement of the rudder is analogous to the rotation of the joystick, as it should be.

The fault was in the calibration of the stick. The drivers for the Airbus stick apparently had been installed automatically and could no longer be calibrated, even though the Thrustmaster calibration table was displayed. It also showed that the rotation of the stick works on / off in the green bar.

The initial calibration of the stick was reset according to the instructions below and the stick was recalibrated accordingly. This solved the problem!

https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments/3mylfn/tflight_hotas_x_throttle_sensitivity_jumps_to_100/

Good news.

• Like 1

Best solution I found at the moment was to install the Joystick Curve software. It creates a virtual joystick which you can then assign in MSFS bypassing their crappy curves(I leave the curves inside of MSFS all default) . I deleted all the mappings under my Honeycomb Yoke & Saitek Rudder pedals then assigned them to the virtual joystick. I set the following curve and it is way more precise now.

AiuLwwA.jpg 

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

I was not completely happy with rudder, aileron, nor the elevator action until I reset the 'effectiveness' for all 3 in the flight_model.cfg of every plane. It takes me half a minute for each plane, and makes a world of difference. It is way faster to find the best effectiveness than to find the best sensitivity, but you have to set effectiveness for each plane. So it does take longer after all. And the updates resets the flight_model.cfg files so I have to copy the old ones back in after each update.

Effectiveness does way more of a natural improvement than the 'sensitivity' adjustment in the MSFS controls windows. But you can do both, they do not interfere with each other at all.

Sensitivity redraws the curves.

Effectiveness chops off the extreme ends of the curves, making it impossible to fully deflect the surfaces too full extent. Full deflection just puts the plane out of control, who needs it?

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.