Sign in to follow this  
hvw

Ground Steering impossible

Ever since I installed the December 3, 2020's mini-update ground steering became impossible. The plane is swaying left and right on the slightest joystick rudder movement. This happens on FBW's latest dev mod A320 as well as their stable version. Also plain vanilla MSFS A320Neo has been affected by this. I (re-)calibrated my joystick in FSUIPC 7.0.2 without success, also lowering the sensitivity in MSFS didn't result in a better behavior on the ground nor did adjusting dead zones bring me any luck. To make sure that it was not a hardware problem bothering me, I went back to P3D and did a flawless flight (including ground steering) with PMDG's 737-900.

Do any of you have an idea what might have gone wrong and how to get MSFS to do correct ground steering again? It's a pity that we can't uninstall this mini-update 😞

Thanks,
Hans

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

Its been documented that the only change was NAV data, nothing else.  Another mystery

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

Make sure you have not reverted to legacy flight model.

Also check that nothing has accidently been added to left and right rudder (as opposed to rudder axis)

wvqVL00.jpg

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

38 minutes ago, hvw said:

ground steering became impossible

I see the same, possible but a fuss. needless to say I did NOT touch any controller settings. indeed one of these MSFS mysteries...

Edited by DAD

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

19 minutes ago, DAD said:

I see the same, possible but a fuss. needless to say I did NOT touch any controller settings. indeed one of these MSFS mysteries...

All these charades really makes one love this product. Not 🙂 Ain't it weird that only a few (you and me and perhaps some others) seem to suffer of this, let's call it, undocumented feature?

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

47 minutes ago, Brandon01110 said:

Its been documented that the only change was NAV data, nothing else.  Another mystery

Yes, sure. Now you tell me why ground steering once of a sudden became impossible then? 🙂

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

52 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Make sure you have not reverted to legacy flight model.

Also check that nothing has accidently been added to left and right rudder (as opposed to rudder axis)

wvqVL00.jpg

Thanks, Glenn, you might be on to something. I have all my controller settings being set in FSUIPC. It indeed might be the case that "something" happened and activated the settings you mentioned in MSFS itself as well. I'm going to check on that later. Thanks again.

Later: Checked these settings. None of the controllers were set in MSFS itself and the flightmodel is set to modern. Never a dull moment in MSFS (Duh) 🙂

Edited by hvw
Additional info.

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

38 minutes ago, hvw said:

All these charades really makes one love this product. Not 🙂 Ain't it weird that only a few (you and me and perhaps some others) seem to suffer of this, let's call it, undocumented feature?

How many people experiencing this are NOT using FSUIPC?  Maybe it's a new found incompatibility? 

42 minutes ago, wthomas33065 said:

How many people experiencing this are NOT using FSUIPC?  Maybe it's a new found incompatibility? 

I tried without FSUIPC, the result remained the same. Swaying like a drunken sailor.

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

FYI, I use an old CH flight yoke and have no problem steering on the ground, either before or after the latest patch. No FSUIPC.

21 minutes ago, cobalt said:

FYI, I use an old CH flight yoke and have no problem steering on the ground, either before or after the latest patch. No FSUIPC.

After having contacted John Dowson I was advised to alter a setting in fsuipc. And that seems to work :). It's an alteration of the rudder sensitivity. You may want to read this here thread: https://forum.simflight.com/topic/91312-ground-steering-impossible/

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Hey,

in my simulator FS2020 the rudder moves from a small turn of the joystick directly to the extreme position, right or left. Because of this, Cessna or Airbus are very tricky to steer on the runway. That is, the rudder has only two positions: In the middle or completely on either side.

This is happening with the new Airbus (Thrustmaster) controllers and also happened with the previous second brand controllers. In addition, this is done with the Enter command on the keyboard. The rudder goes to the right extreme right away.

Other steering directions and throttle work well.

The controllers have been calibrated correctly and all settings of the FS2020 simulator have been tested. These steps will not help the problem. Also, the FS2020 has been completely reinstalled and does not help.

Miraculously, in my other simulator, the P3D4.5, there is no problem, even though the P3D4.5 is on the same computer and I use the same joystick and throttle.

Many simulator enthusiasts do not have this problem in the FS2020.

What can I do to get the rudder to follow the joystick movement correctly?

I was having unpredictable rudder control on the ground until I made sure all the "Assists" were turned off. Now my rudder control is fine. 

3 hours ago, hvw said:

After having contacted John Dowson I was advised to alter a setting in fsuipc. And that seems to work :). It's an alteration of the rudder sensitivity. You may want to read this here thread: https://forum.simflight.com/topic/91312-ground-steering-impossible/

Perhaps you misread my post -- I reported NO problems with steering (and mentioned that I do not use FSUIPC).