Sign in to follow this  
HUSSAR

HiFi Developing Active Sky for MSFS

Question and comment...

Question:

I see that REX has a release for MSFS.  Can anyone tell me how the snow coverage is?

I like to fly from KMSP to KDLH, and it's frustrating to arrive in Duluth MN mid-winter and find green grass everywhere.  I'm also aware that the default weather fails to match current METAR information.  I've been a user of ActiveSky pre-MSFS, and it was my preferred weather engine over REX, although I owned both.

Comment:

It's truly disappointing that the new MSFS doesn't offer the 3rd Party SDK available with FSX.  I believe the reason FSX remained viable and popular for so many years was due to the many 3rd party enhancements that were available and updated...becoming a better simulator with each new technological hardware improvement even though the base simulator went unsupported for years.

On 12/6/2020 at 8:41 PM, vcarlo said:

I understand your decision to accept default weather, but isn't it an oxymoron to say "default weather is perfect even though it's not accurate"  ??  There are  thousands of online (VATSIM / IVAO, etc)  pilots who want and need ACCURATE weather data to realistically simulate their flights.  You may not need active sky so you will not have to purchase it. If HiFi Sim releases a weather add on for MSFS, I will purchase it  as I have for the past 15+ years, whether ASOBO eventually resolves their issues or not. God speed Damian and we shall wait with baited breath for your weather package add on !  

I  have had Active sky for years in P3D. I don't fly on Vatsim, so I couldn't care less what the real weather at the time is where I am flying, I just like  the way the weather looks now n MS 2020. Looks more realistic than anything I have seen in any other sim, and to me that is what is at the top of my list. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

40 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I  have had Active sky for years in P3D. I don't fly on Vatsim, so I couldn't care less what the real weather at the time is where I am flying, I just like  the way the weather looks now n MS 2020. Looks more realistic than anything I have seen in any other sim, and to me that is what is at the top of my list. 

That's Right Bob. I just set mine how I want it and just fly.

Half the time, if I set live weather where I am, it wouldn't  be enjoyable.

I just hope the sky colours can be adjusted eventually. The colours during the day are quite good, but dawn and dusk do not look very natural.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

3 hours ago, jer029 said:

Question and comment...

Question:

I see that REX has a release for MSFS.  Can anyone tell me how the snow coverage is?

I like to fly from KMSP to KDLH, and it's frustrating to arrive in Duluth MN mid-winter and find green grass everywhere.  I'm also aware that the default weather fails to match current METAR information.  I've been a user of ActiveSky pre-MSFS, and it was my preferred weather engine over REX, although I owned both.

Comment:

It's truly disappointing that the new MSFS doesn't offer the 3rd Party SDK available with FSX.  I believe the reason FSX remained viable and popular for so many years was due to the many 3rd party enhancements that were available and updated...becoming a better simulator with each new technological hardware improvement even though the base simulator went unsupported for years.

Snow coverage in REX is overdone. So that certainly won't be a problem for you. 🙂 The issue I have is that the snow covers all runways and taxiways, making it impossible to spot when on approach. In a real airport the runways and taxiways would be plowed. But, it's overall better than MSFS default, which only shows snow when it's falling. In REX it looks at weather history and generates snow if there should be snow on the ground. 

Eddie
KABQ

Thanks!  I will probably have to upgrade to the new REX rather than waiting for MSFS folks to figure it out.  As for snow on the runways...I'm finding that in places with the default weather as well - so not much lost there either.

• Like 1

I like the way REX for MSFS lessens the drama seen with MSFS generated weather

Think Hi Fi will be able to add some danger to those anvils? Currently I can woosh through the largest of severe cells without spilling my coffee. I want my wings to fly off, Asobo!

Edited by WestAir

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.