Sign in to follow this  
Alpine Scenery

Elevation fixes for Eastern US (released)

Note that the alpha version should be posted later tonight or tomorrow at the latest. Gets rid of the spires and elevated lakes and ponds, as well as reduces some of the "pop-in" effect from the DEM errors. I'm currently doing manual, but eventually also automated elevation fixes for the Eastern US and then I will compare the results to see which is better performance and otherwise.

This will remove MOST of the spires from Washington DC to Virginia to West Virginia to NC to Tennessee and to Georgia. Will post link once the alpha is ready. 
Right now, I'm about 50% done with the manual, once I get to 75% or so going to do the automated and compare.

Edited by SceneryFX
  • Like 6

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

So are you telling me that this wasn't fixed in the USA Update?

What kind of Update doesn't fix elevation issues?!

It was made worse in some areas by the update, some remained the same, and a few (very very few) were fixed.
More were created by the update than fixed.

Oh totally...the USA update created a TON of mesh/elevation issues in the US haha.  I don't really see the difference of mesh resolution but its supposedly better in some areas.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

the WV errors extend all the way up into PA as well. @SceneryFX here's a Google Map I made over the past few months since release that covers all the errors in the NE US (some are water/ground texture issues and improper buildings but the majority are elevation issues). I visited each airport to make note of improvements needed (I did 100+ freeware scenery airports in FSX to match MegaScenery Earth textures a few years ago & plan to eventually get into MSFS dev) and in the process canvassed the area for other problems as well

Edited by Gaiiden

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

Thanks for the map, yes the worst area is from the border of Pennsylvania through WV and Virginia and then just short of the TN border.

I've got all that area finished, but I will have to go back later, this is going to be an "alpha release" with about 70% coverage and the coverage area will be 95% fixed (give or take).

For the first version, I'm mainly doing TN to NC  to VA to WV to DC to PA border (but probably not have time to do Ohio or Pittsburgh), stopping at PA border for now.

• Like 2

Here is the coverage map for this version, will update once the download link is posted over at Flightsim.TO

5aJ9HDy.png

Edited by SceneryFX
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Farlis said:

So are you telling me that this wasn't fixed in the USA Update?

What kind of Update doesn't fix elevation issues?!

An Asobo update. 

• Upvote 1

Super disappointing that Asobo couldn't run some kind of an algorithm on their DEM data to identify and remove these. 

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

It appears they tried, but the algorithm is failing. The reason I say they tried is because when some lakes are uneven (hence like a dam), they self-correct in elevation but if you are flying fast enough you will see them correct in real-time. 

Edited by SceneryFX

I'd expect this to be done on the server side before the data gets passed to the sim.

Eg, they would have some algorithm, it might have false positives, it would find however many 100s of of positives over the US, and someone would spend a couple of days reviewing them and either correcting them or flagging them as false positives, and the data would be corrected before it ever gets posted to the servers...

They have errors in the data they used or the way they applied it, but I think part of the problem is they mixed too many different mesh resolutions and varying mesh from different places together. I agree that would be optimal, but it appears they are trying to rig it after the fact, and their post-corrective drawing is also hurting performance. The DEM probably loads in LOD levels (or something equivalent), but whatever it is doing is not correct, the game would probably be 50% faster if they fixed it.

Edited by SceneryFX

1 minute ago, SceneryFX said:

Well they have an error in the data they used or the way they applied it, but I think part of the problem is they mixed too many different mesh resolutions and varying mesh from different places together. I agree that would be optimal, but it appears they are trying to rig it after the fact, and their post-corrective drawing is also hurting performance. 

Yeah, that's just dumb.  With all the fancy "cloud computing" and "AI" they are talking about, and the need to maximize performance in this sim, there is 0 reason for them to ask millions of customers to run the same algorithms over and over on our individual PCs when they could be run once on the server side.  The only legit reason I could see for doing DEM updates on the fly would be for regions around custom scenery.