Sign in to follow this  
GodAtum

CPU main thread issue fixed?

In the recent Q&A, they mentioned they had fixed the main thread issue. Can anyone report this is the case?

56 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

In the recent Q&A, they mentioned they had fixed the main thread issue. Can anyone report this is the case?

No they did not. "They are looking into it".

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

8 hours ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

Where did you read/hear that? I was really hoping for a better CPU boost for sure.

I am seeing a noticeable improvement.  For example, in the Airbus I used to see 'limited by main thread' all the time, but now it only occurs rarely, eg at airports or over big cities.  It will depend on your hardware setup though - I have an old CPU (i7-4770k) but a decent GPU (1080Ti).  In the Q&A they pointed out that the optimization wouldn't result in an improvement for everyone.

10 hours ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

I'm pretty sure in the latest Q&A they said they'd made one particular optimization - I remember them talking about it in some detail, something to do with the point at which the main thread blocks for other threads.  But they did say it would only result in an improvement on some systems.

This is what was said “officially” after patch 7 by Asobo:

Answer: The CPU optimization that was released in update 7 consists of allowing the sim’s main thread to not wait for world data incoming from other threads before ending the frame. This affects systems where the CPU was the bottleneck. On my machine I have noticed a 10 FPS improvement and a significant reduction of stutter spikes. But there are also systems that have had no improvements. It all depends on the graphics settings. Users running at high levels of detail, with a high end GPU but that used to be limited by CPU should see the biggest improvements. Users who were limited by GPU should see little or no improvement.

CPU optimizations will be ongoing with future Sim Updates.

• Like 1

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

My system is relatively balanced (i58400 RTX2060) and what I now see is basically the same ballpark FPS as before (probably 1 or 2 FPS faster) but the dev counter shows I am now mainly limited by GPU whereas previously it was 50/50 GPU and CPU. Occasional (very rare) long stutter on flare that did not exist before though.

People who were previously severely CPU limited may see more bang per buck out of the change.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

3 hours ago, loge said:

I'm pretty sure in the latest Q&A they said they'd made one particular optimization - I remember them talking about it in some detail, something to do with the point at which the main thread blocks for other threads.  But they did say it would only result in an improvement on some systems.

Seb addresses this at 30:08 of the q/a session if anyone wants to hear it.

• Like 1

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

I does not see any noticeable improvement.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |