Sign in to follow this  
Vegas-Rob

Instructions to press a key are weird

I am new to flying at all so I am letting the simulator give me help. But every time the app posts a message to press a key, the key is shown as a black bordered square with a letter in it. But the letter in it does not do anything so the symbol itself for the key in the message is not being displayed properly.

Here's an example of a message: 'Incorrect heading indicator. To set the heading indicator press (and then there's the black square with a letter d in it). 

Doesn't make any sense and it happens with lots of messages the app is trying to give me.

Can anyone make sense of this? Some kind of translation is not occurring properly.

Please help if you can. Thanks much.

18 minutes ago, Vegas-Rob said:

I am new to flying at all so I am letting the simulator give me help. But every time the app posts a message to press a key, the key is shown as a black bordered square with a letter in it. But the letter in it does not do anything so the symbol itself for the key in the message is not being displayed properly.

Here's an example of a message: 'Incorrect heading indicator. To set the heading indicator press (and then there's the black square with a letter d in it). 

Doesn't make any sense and it happens with lots of messages the app is trying to give me.

Can anyone make sense of this? Some kind of translation is not occurring properly.

just a suggestion here sir, but have you tried to press the D key on your keyboard? Or whatever other key its asking you to press ? Its telling you the key binded to what it wants you to do, as opposed to telling you what button or knob to press in the cockpit.😄

Edited by leprechaunlive

3 hours ago, leprechaunlive said:

The D likely stands for Directional Gyro (DG), the heading indicator in the center of your panel although depending on what aircraft you are flying, the DG may be incorporated into a HSI (Horizontal Situation Indicator). Regardless, pressing the D key should align the Heading Bug with the aircraft's current heading.

When possible, key bindings (key assignments to functions) are selected so that the key or key combination has some relationship to the function to be performed (as in this D to DG case), but often that is just not possible. For example, see the default MSFS key assignments here:

https://cheatography.com/nimasmi/cheat-sheets/microsoft-flight-simulator-2020/

You can, of course, change (carefully) the default assignments to your liking.

Al

Edited by ark

4 hours ago, Vegas-Rob said:

You have to use your finger.

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

You can get rid of that 'black bordered square' and make it transparent and smaller. But not as small as some of the other mods make it, but still smaller. Also there will be no tooltips at all until you (temporarily) press the Alt key (you can reset the config file to another key). Also you can resize and make transparent the signs on poles in the sky (e.g. Chicago|O'Hare) with the BACKSPACE key (this one won't change back when you release the key, it stays toggled until you repress it.

The same key BKSP will also remove the HUD from the outside view on the fly. Another tool will reduce the size and opacity of the labels on the World Map (you have to remove that mod folder from Community folder to change back).
A suite of 7 such tools, each with its own folder to drop into Community folder.

https://github.com/mixMugz/msfs2020-uimod

https://github.com/mixMugz/msfs2020-uimod/releases/tag/v1.11.6.0

Another of it's tools:

Add diagram of any flight controller into the Controls menu if you tell the author the unique PID number of the controller and provide a transparent PNG image, sized 1200x1200 pixels. (a transparent .JPG file will not be transparent when saved, but a .PNG file will). He will add it to those already in the mod.

Making a transparent background PNG image from a white background JPG image takes an image processor like photoshop. Or the freeware GIMP.

https://thomas-cokelaer.info/blog/2016/09/gimp-how-to-make-a-transparent-background/

GksbO5d.jpg

MJjMowB.jpg

One keypress on the fly to...

B83QTxN.jpg

(the white post is still there, LOL, author does not know how to lose it).

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Also Heading Bug is not a bug in software, it's just a name for the indicator in aircraft.

(took me a while to catch on to what everyone was talking about on this forum about 'bugs with setting the heading bug')