Sign in to follow this  
Frank STY

RTX3090 and MFS2020

4 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Ok well not sure if it is significant, but in that particular screen shot it does say limited by "Main Thread" not GPU.

what does it mean "limited by main thread"?

36 minutes ago, Frank STY said:

what does it mean "limited by main thread"?

It means the GPU is sitting doing nothing waiting on the CPU to finish a job.

If it is mainly saying "limited by main thread" you need to look into what is happening on the CPU side. 

Consider installing the Process Lasso free trial and increasing the CPU priority for FS2020 to be much higher.

Also, in the past people have had good results from disabling Windows dynamic thread priority boosts . Here is an older thread about it note it does say this step is no longer necessary, so maybe just increase the CPU priority for the game itself.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

Could you confirm which displayport output you've connected to on the 3090 (and not any onboard video output). Also try reinstalling the nvidia graphics driver and selected the "clean" install option.

1 hour ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

It means the GPU is sitting doing nothing waiting on the CPU to finish a job.

If it is mainly saying "limited by main thread" you need to look into what is happening on the CPU side. 

Consider installing the Process Lasso free trial and increasing the CPU priority for FS2020 to be much higher.

Also, in the past people have had good results from disabling Windows dynamic thread priority boosts . Here is an older thread about it note it does say this step is no longer necessary, so maybe just increase the CPU priority for the game itself.

The author of this article says this is no longer relevant as of the last update. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/5/2020 at 5:10 PM, Frank STY said:

Hi all, 

I have RTX3090 installed in my machine. And i only got 20fps in 747 cockpit with ultra settings. It's weird. Before RTX3090, i used 2080super and got about 35fps with same settings. How to fix it. 

There’s definitely something wrong here. When I upgraded my GPU to a 3090 I shifted the bottleneck back to the CPU in many cases, and that’s possible here as well, but that should NOT result in less FPS. Check your settings. If you don’t recall your settings, that will make a compare impossible.  The obvious one is resolution or resolution scaling. Where you at 4K before and after? 100% scaling? Check Nvidia driver settings as well, and make sure GeForce Experience isn’t making changes. That’s all I can think of. You should at least be back to where you were before. And with the recent update to photogrammetry loading, you should be better off in those cities. 

1 minute ago, Virtual-Chris said:

There’s definitely something wrong here. When I upgraded my GPU to a 3090 I shifted the bottleneck back to the CPU in many cases, and that’s possible here as well, but that should NOT result in less FPS. Check your settings. If you don’t recall your settings, that will make a compare impossible.  The obvious one is resolution or resolution scaling. Where you at 4K before and after? 100% scaling? Check Nvidia driver settings as well, and make sure GeForce Experience isn’t making changes. That’s all I can think of. You should at least be back to where you were before. And with the recent update to photogrammetry loading, you should be better off in those cities. 

Hi,

I use 2k resolution 2560x1440. I think I should set 100% scaling and now it might be 200%.

Just now, Frank STY said:

Hi,

I use 2k resolution 2560x1440. I think I should set 100% scaling and now it might be 200%.

Ok. You definitely won’t see much improvement with a 3090 if you’re only running 1440p. Your CPU is definitely the bottleneck. But you should at least get the same FPS you had before at 100% scaling... while you shop for a new 4 K monitor. 😉

2 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Ok well not sure if it is significant, but in that particular screen shot it does say limited by "Main Thread" not GPU.

Look again, it actually says Limited by RdRthread with red background (RdR is short for Render).

To the OP, do a Google search for "MSFS RdRthread", lots of info to digest and try out.

• Upvote 2

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

19 minutes ago, SierraDelta said:

Look again, it actually says Limited by RdRthread with red background (RdR is short for Render).

To the OP, do a Google search for "MSFS RdRthread", lots of info to digest and try out.

Oh ... you are correct

My bad ... I just saw thread in red and for me that is always main thread, I should have looked more closely .

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

There’s definitely something wrong with your setup.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

7 hours ago, Frank STY said:

so how's your fps with RTX3080 now? I use the same Nvidia settings for both P3D V5.1 and MFS2020. There's big difference in fps.

Smooth now. I don’t count frames, causes too many problems.

On 12/6/2020 at 2:10 AM, Frank STY said:

Hi all, 

I have RTX3090 installed in my machine. And i only got 20fps in 747 cockpit with ultra settings. It's weird. Before RTX3090, i used 2080super and got about 35fps with same settings. How to fix it. 

Hello Frank,

Please make sure that FXAA and MFAA are disabled in Nvidia control panel for MSFS.
Your rig is similar to mine and you should get a smooth average 30fps everywhere.

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Nvidia Experience has a setting that optimizes games automatically. Turn that off. 

Settings > Games

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

On 12/5/2020 at 8:10 PM, Frank STY said:

Hi all, 

Step 1: turn off FPS display. 

10 hours ago, Frank STY said:

Here's a screen shot from MFS2020 ( Flightbeam KDEN) with ultra settings.

https://ibb.co/D7tghWK

Your render scaling is way above 100.  Try 100 as a minimum and only after you achieve performance by tweaking everything else start moving the slider up and see what happens.

In theory the 3090 is a card that should handle 4k comfortably.  So if display is at 1440p resolution, render scaling shouldn't affect performance hugely up to 150% setting.  Doesn't for me, but it's still smoother towards 100% at 1440p display.  Not sure I'm gaining much visually between rendering native and rendering 4K displayed as 1440.