Sign in to follow this  
BobKinSTL

Should I update my version of P3D?

Today I bought the new Active Sky P3D to replace ASN4 and got a P3D connector notification that I have an incompatible P3D version and ASP3D is designed to be used with P3D versions 4.5.14.34698 and this got me to thinking....what is my version of P3D?  Turns out it's 4.5.13.32097.  Anytime that I am flagged by add-ons (FS2Crew, charts, etc) that there is an update available, I do so immediately but for whatever reason never gave any thought to P3D updates, nor does there seem to be a method for prepar3d to notify you of an update.  So I went to my purchased products page and I do see a complete download link for 4.5.14.34698.  As an aside, ASP3D seems to be working fine even though I get this connection error message.  So...is it that simple....if there is a more recent version shown on my P3D downloads page then just download it?  Thanks.

Bob Koehler

It's definitely worth upgrading the client - all you need to do is uninstall the existing client from Windows start menu add/remove programs - don't deactivate - then install the latest client by downloading the client.msi from the LM downloads page and running it as administrator. None of your settings should be affected.

You can also upgrade content in a similar way.

I'm not so sure about scenery - worried that addons will be impacted if I do that.

Thanks simfan1983.  It's probably basic knowledge for most on here, but when it comes to "clients" I don't know what I'm talking about, but I will do as you suggest, seems very straightforward and without knowing better I would likely have done a complete download, and it seems that is unnecessary.  How about the separate download for the SDK setup that also has the new version number?

5 minutes ago, BobKinSTL said:

Thanks simfan1983.  It's probably basic knowledge for most on here, but when it comes to "clients" I don't know what I'm talking about, but I will do as you suggest, seems very straightforward and without knowing better I would likely have done a complete download, and it seems that is unnecessary.  How about the separate download for the SDK setup that also has the new version number?

You don't need the SDK - that is the Software Development Kit for developers. There should be 4 LM items in your Windows add/remove programs. One is the Professional or Academic 'umbrella' installer and 3 sub items - client (which means the main program), content (aircraft etc) and scenery (regions, cities and airports).

You can easily remove and add the client and content separately from everything else, there is an installation guide on the LM download page if you are worried. If you are asked whether you want to deactivate when you uninstall the client say no.

I always recommend that people backup their pc before doing any major changes. If you have enough disk space then take a system image of your main Windows drive and a backup of the P3D drive if that is different. You can then always go back a step if anything stops working.