Sign in to follow this  
theshack440

Ryzen or Intel / to wait or not to wait?

Hey everyone. Long time FSXer, finally making the switch to MSFS. Would love some advice.

I’m building a new PC and wanted some expert opinions here on the Avsim boards. My goal is to be able to run FS2020 at 1440 in the 30-40 FPS range.  I’ve purchased some components but still waiting on others.

Here’s what my build is looking like:

GPU: RTX 3060 Ti (already purchased)

CPU: AMD 5600X or intel i7 10700k

MOBO: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz 32GB (2 x 16GB) (already purchased)

Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 1TB SSD (already purchased)

Power Supply: CORSAIR RM850x  850W  (already purchased)

Monitor: Acer V277U 27" WQHD 2560 X 1440 IPS FreeSync Monitor

I’ve got a case from an old build that I’m going to reuse and the monitor is not a final decision. Budget is in the $~1,500 - $2,000 USD range.

My questions to this group are:

1. What are your overall impressions of the build? Any red flags?
  2. Would you wait for restocks of the 5600X or just go ahead and buy an i7 10700k? Sounds like AMD is a better choice for the sim but curious your take.
  3. I know this isn't the exact right forum but do you think the 3060 Ti will do the trick compared to the 3070? Was planning on the 3070 but managed to get the 3060 Ti when it became on sale last week. From benchmarking it seems similar, although this article makes me nervous https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/1/21768294/nvidia-rtx-3060-ti-when-where-how-to-buy-gpu.
  4. How “future-proofed” do you think this machine is for the next few years? Thinking about resource-heavy addons like PMDG/FSL airliners and flying them into major metro areas like JFK, LHR, HND, etc. 

Thanks everyone! Hope you can help out. Cheers.

Best regards, happy flying,

Wallace

Yes, if FS2020 goes to DX12 your 8Gb on the 3060ti may not be enough. IMHO this is a fatal flaw if you are concerned about future-proofing. There are a number of posts (especially by Rob A) about the VRAM issue, Can you return it? And for the SSD, you might be interested in https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sabrent-rocket-nvme-40-m2-ssd-review-a-high-performance-value

Edited by pgde
  • Like 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

On 12/7/2020 at 8:03 PM, theshack440 said:

1. Would you wait for restocks of the 5600X or just go ahead and buy an i7 10700k? Sounds like AMD is a better choice for the sim but curious your take

I didnt wait. Couldn't be bothered with that nonsense for what amounted to a minimal increase in performance. Didn't hesitate. Bought an i9 10900K.

Although I AM waiting for an RTX 3090. The performance jump from the previous cards is worth the wait.

Your monitor interests me. Something I still need to purchase.

I need to decide on cooling too.

11 hours ago, pgde said:

Yes, if FS2020 goes to DX12 your 8Gb on the 3060ti may not be enough. IMHO this is a fatal flaw if you are concerned about future-proofing. There are a number of posts (especially by Rob A) about the VRAM issue, Can you return it? And for the SSD, you might be interested in https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sabrent-rocket-nvme-40-m2-ssd-review-a-high-performance-value

Thanks for the tip. Haven't picked it up yet so could almost definitely return it. You're right about the DX12, something I hadn't considered. Thinking just go with the 3060 and just get a new card in 2-3 years, so long as the 3060 can run it at least decently. I'm not typically that impatient but with my old rig out of commission I might just rather have something pretty good now to at least start flying.

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

I didnt wait. Couldn't be bothered with that nonsense for what amounted to a minimal increase in performance. Didn't hesitate. Bought an i9 10900K.

Although I AM waiting for an RTX 3090. The performance jump from the previous cards is worth the wait.

Your monitor interests me. Something I still need to purchase.

I need to decide on cooling too.

I wish there were more simmers in the tech world writing these reviews. For 1440 the 3060 seems fine but I don't want to find out the hard way. You think the i9 is worth the extra $$ compared to the i7? Also note the monitor is 1440 — not sure if you're aiming for 4K with the 3090.

Edited by theshack440

Wallace

7 hours ago, theshack440 said:

You think the i9 is worth the extra $$ compared to the i7? Also note the monitor is 1440 — not sure if you're aiming for 4K with the 3090.

Depends what you are doing with it, or will do in the future.

My situation was different. Just sold a property so have spare cash at the moment. So can afford to go for the best. Doesn't happen that often so I'm making the most of it. I should say also, I have found in the past that when I compromise, and go for the lesser component, I usually regret it. 

I will go for 1440P though I think. Would like to keep the frame rates up. That may change.

For cooling, D15S is my usual choice. May do the same, the black Chromax version, or perhaps water, yet to decide. Most likely is D15. Never been disappointed with the Noctua, always done everything I required. 

Edited by martin-w

Congrats, I'm excited for you to get the top-of-the-line — and good advice.

Judging from benchmarks, it looks like the 3060 is not all that different from the 3070 when it comes to MSFS. Might just be a good holdover, and for $400 I don't really mind. It's been a tough year, might as well treat myself 🙂

• Like 1

Wallace

Happy with my 3060Ti at 1440p. Get about 25fps in FS2020 on ultra (except for 80% render scaling) on a 152 flight from EGLC to EGLL. The G1000 enabled 172 drops it to about 20 fps but still smooth and looking lovely. Airliners might be a different matter though!

I get about 35-40 fps in the 172 in XP 11.50 (Vulkan API), everything maxed. I haven't done any deep analysis but I feel like my 3700x might be struggling to keep up. Either need FS2020/XP11 to start using more cores or maybe I should side grade to the 5600x for more IPC and outright GHZ.

• Like 1

5600x, 6800xt, Samsung Odyssey HMD+

On 1/3/2021 at 9:32 PM, bangoman said:

Happy with my 3060Ti at 1440p. Get about 25fps in FS2020 on ultra (except for 80% render scaling) on a 152 flight from EGLC to EGLL. The G1000 enabled 172 drops it to about 20 fps but still smooth and looking lovely. Airliners might be a different matter though!

I get about 35-40 fps in the 172 in XP 11.50 (Vulkan API), everything maxed. I haven't done any deep analysis but I feel like my 3700x might be struggling to keep up. Either need FS2020/XP11 to start using more cores or maybe I should side grade to the 5600x for more IPC and outright GHZ.

Great to hear it! Thanks for the update. I think I might turn settings down to High to keep airliners in the 25-30 range.

I managed to find a brand new 5600X from Facebook marketplace the other week for retail price. Got lucky and did some research on the seller and it was totally cool and worked out great. Might recommend the same if you can't find stock to avoid scalping prices!

Now I'm thinking of getting a <$80 mid-size case to make my build a bit more compact, but I'm nervous about airflow/cooling. Anyone have any thoughts on these with, say, a single extra fan on top of the ones included?

1. Cooler Master NR600 - https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MasterBox-Ventilation-Tempered/dp/B07PJ18S78

2. Fractal focus G - https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-focus-g-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352069

3. Montech Air 900 - https://www.newegg.com/black-montech-air900-elegant/p/2AM-00CN-00003

Edited by theshack440

Wallace