Sign in to follow this  
JiBrady

Longitude auto pilot question

Obtaining instructions for a departure , ATC may say something like to climb to 15,000. So I set up the altitude for 15,000, set the speed for 250, and select the NAV function. After takeoff I turn on the auto pilot and auto thrust. The the plane does not level of at 15,000 but continues  to pass right thru 15,000.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jim b

Are you selecting a vertical mode - FLC or VS, not flown that one in a while, but pretty sure you need one or other selected....

G

• Like 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

On 12/7/2020 at 11:13 PM, JiBrady said:

Obtaining instructions for a departure , ATC may say something like to climb to 15,000. So I set up the altitude for 15,000, set the speed for 250, and select the NAV function. After takeoff I turn on the auto pilot and auto thrust. The the plane does not level of at 15,000 but continues  to pass right thru 15,000.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jim b

Sounds like you have not installed the Longitude mod that fixes many of the non-working functions.

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Or it could be that you need to install the G3000 mod.

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

After you are climbing in vs mode when you get to the speed you want to climb at FLC will work and hold that climb speed and vary VV by thrust setting in the Longitude

at 85 N2 it will climb at about 2000 fpm. above 85 N2 afterburner kicks in, Then you can break the bonds of earth and fly to the moon.

This is with the Mod

Regards

Edited by Denwagg

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

I set, NAV active, initial climb altitude, VS to 2500fpm and speed to manual 250knots initially before takeoff. After takeoff enable autopilot master and you are good to go for the climb and ready to focus on radio handoffs etc. Increase speed above 10000feet and reduce VS as you climb to higher altitudes if needed. 

FLC works, but with max power setting if autothrottle is enabled, giving you 4000fpm or so. I prefer to use VS.

Edited by haklis

First I would like to thank all who responded to my request for help. As suggested, I selected the VS function while still on the runway.  This I had not done before.  Now the Longitude correctly levels off at the assigned step assigned altitude's ! An easy fix, but I never thought that you had to use the VS function like this.  In any case all is working A-OK.

Jim B.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JiBrady said:

First I would like to thank all who responded to my request for help. As suggested, I selected the VS function while still on the runway.  This I had not done before.  Now the Longitude correctly levels off at the assigned step assigned altitude's ! An easy fix, but I never thought that you had to use the VS function like this.  In any case all is working A-OK.

Jim B.

you don't/shouldn't it works just the same when engaged in the air

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

Not a real life pilot but for the longitude i set up as much as possible all the autopilot elements on the ground so the only thing i need to engage shortly after the departure and clean up (landing gear/ flaps/ thrust reduction) is the AP button. Has always worked and is a part of my pre flight routine. I prepare for adjustments as i approach the assigned flight levels till cruise.

Glad you caught the fact that you have  to set both the desired altitude and just as important the "method" of getting to the altitude. 

Happy flying

Edited by Maxis

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders