Sign in to follow this  
algy10

Elevator Trim non functioning

Hi

As above, all other controls are working apart from elevator trim.

I have tried re-assigning settings via joystick and numeric pad (num. lock 7 and 1) to no effect.

In addition I have tried un-installing and re-installing MSFS2020, however, simulator still retains original profile/settings on re-install.

I have a feeling that somewhere within these settings is causing the problem.

Is there any way that I can re-install as a 'virgin' install i.e. without any previous settings?

As you can appreciate this is 'driving me up the wall' as without elevator trim it is almost impossible to hand fly any A/C

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Al

Your settings are stored in the Cloud. The latest update provided a default profile which, if selected, should give you default settings. I have successfully set the trim controls to two joystick buttons and you should also be able to do so. Be sure to clear the existing assignments before you attempt to set the new ones and to click on save before you resume.

Perhaps this image may help? You can see I have made a profile and named it "Chosen settings".

12.jpg

Edited by Reader

Hi

Thanks for reply.

I have tried all the things that you mentioned. 

Created new (blank) profiles for joystick and tried re-assigning new assignments for buttons, etc. all to no effect.

I am in the process of re-installing (again) including the latest update and will see what happens, although I don't have much hope.

I think that the fundamental problem is that there is something stored on my MS's Cloud settings that is causing the problem and I can't seem to find a way of doing a 'clean' install.

Is there any way I could get round this?

Thanks

Al

try this thread:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-reset-all-settings/209631

Basically go to Settings -> Apps and features -> Microsoft Flight Simulator -> click on Advanced Options -> choose Reset or Repair

EDIT:

If a reset does not work, you will need to do some detective work / fault finding.  Some things to try -

• backup and clean out your community folder in case a mod is interfering
  • if you are using aftermarket control software like FSUICP try disabling it
  • if you examine the trim wheel in an aircraft like the C152 is it still in the default take-off position or has it moved to fully up or fully down
  • if you hover over the in game trim wheel in the C152 and rotate your mouse wheel does the trim move
  • if you assign trim to an axis rather than a button, for example by temporarily un-mapping your throttle and using that for trim, does it now work ?
Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

50 minutes ago, algy10 said:

Hi Glenn

Thanks for the link. 

I'll check it out in the morning 

Al

One thing worth checking (as mentioned) is whether using the mouse to control trim in the 3D cockpit view still works.

That will give a bit more info to help track down what is wrong.

Hi Glenn

Finally, I think that I have tracked down the problem to my installed Leo Bodnar board.

Although I had nothing assigned to trim function it would appear that perhaps a sticking button was causing the problem.

It's just now a case of working through them all to find out where the problem lies.

Sorry for any confusion caused.

PS I tried the link to delete/rename the 'wgs' folder and disconnecting the internet, however, on starting up MSFS kept asking me to insert a disc.

Just wondering how practical it would be to backup the 'wgs' folder, would MSFS Cloud always over-write the 'wgs' folder when starting up?

Thanks again.

Al

Interestingly the trim works in the smaller planes, not the jetliners. Did any of the updates fix this problem? My personal observation is that none of the jetliners are ready for a smooth flying experience. The planes are difficult to control. If you guys figure out the trim issue, please let us know.

2 hours ago, Huascar said:

Interestingly the trim works in the smaller planes, not the jetliners. Did any of the updates fix this problem? My personal observation is that none of the jetliners are ready for a smooth flying experience. The planes are difficult to control. If you guys figure out the trim issue, please let us know.

I just flew a 8 hr trip in the 787 and didn't have a single issue. Nothing wrong with the trim. I have 2 buttons on my joystick for trim and they work in every plane 

26 minutes ago, devgrp said:

I just flew a 8 hr trip in the 787 and didn't have a single issue. Nothing wrong with the trim. I have 2 buttons on my joystick for trim and they work in every plane 

Thanks for letting us know. I’ll play around with it to try to figure it out.

1 hour ago, devgrp said:

So do I. I use the two trim buttons underneath my left thumb on the honeycomb yoke. I had the trim mapped to the same location on my previous Saitek yoke. Results are the same - you can adjust the trim, but the sim will readjust it (AP off). Many time is will go full up or full down. I try to bring it into a normal range and the sim takes back control. I cleared all of the default settings and nothing is in there (searched by assigned key and searched by function - nothing).

This is one of the issues I have with the sim. I admit, my only flying experience has been in previous sims and 90 mins in a full motion 717 sim. Still, I should be able to relieve back pressure or forward pressure by clicking the trim buttons a few times until I can let go of the yoke and the aircraft remains in level flight, more or less. This never works for me. If I click it a few times, I get no reaction. If I hit it more, I get full up or down. Yesterday I was flying the Caravan and had the same issue. Two or three clicks in the buttons does nothing. Holding the buttons gives you full deflection. I thought this issue was resolved. I've considered that there could be an issue with the connection to my box that is inducing lag, but all of the other functions seem to work fine (there is a 2-3 second lag in when switching the lights buttons, but I assumed that's just the way it is)

I don't have a trim wheel, and haven't for the 20 years I have been into FS and, I have never had this issue. For a decade, trim was mapped to that button on the Saitek yoke in 3 different sims (FS9, FSX, and P3D). Always worked as expected until MSFS.

I fully accept that this could be user error, but I haven't been able to figure out what is causing it

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Just now, duckbilled said:

So do I. I use the two trim buttons underneath my left thumb on the honeycomb yoke. I had the trim mapped to the same location on my previous Saitek yoke. Results are the same - you can adjust the trim, but the sim will readjust it (AP off). Many time is will go full up or full down. I try to bring it into a normal range and the sim takes back control. I cleared all of the default settings and nothing is in there (searched by assigned key and searched by function - nothing).

This is one of the issues I have with the sim. I admit, my only flying experience has been in previous sims and 90 mins in a full motion 717 sim. Still, I should be able to relieve back pressure or forward pressure by clicking the trim buttons a few times until I can let go of the yoke and the aircraft remains in level flight, more or less. This never works for me. If I click it a few times, I get no reaction. If I hit it more, I get full up or down. Yesterday I was flying the Caravan and had the same issue. Two or three clicks in the buttons does nothing. Holding the buttons gives you full deflection. I thought this issue was resolved. I've considered that there could be an issue with the connection to my box that is inducing lag, but all of the other functions seem to work fine (there is a 2-3 second lag in when switching the lights buttons, but I assumed that's just the way it is)

I don't have a trim wheel, and haven't for the 20 years I have been into FS and, I have never had this issue. For a decade, trim was mapped to that button on the Saitek yoke in 3 different sims (FS9, FSX, and P3D). Always worked as expected until MSFS.

I fully accept that this could be user error, but I haven't been able to figure out what is causing it

make sure the copilot is not flying the plane, or make sure nothing else is assigned to the trim creating a conflict. Had this happen before