Sign in to follow this  
Mike T

FSX and 64-bit operating systems

Guest garymccl

HiQuick question. I am about to buy a new system for FSX and it's going to have XP 64-bit. When i upgrade to Vista, it's going to be the 64-bit version.Is FSX a 64-bit application? I guess there may be more than one version, depending on the operating system.If it's not 64-bit, is there a problem running it on a 64-bit operating system?(I was thinking of this: http://www.meshcomputers.com/html/html/cam...s/dotw_1106.htm...except I would want one of those new nVidia 8800 graphics cards - apparently they are the best, and it's available as an upgrade option.)ThanksGary

Guest mayagrafix

Unfortunately, there is no 64 bit version... yet! A quick look at FSinsider-com states that once Vista and DirectX 10 are released they plan to release an update that will enable Flight Simulator to take advantage of all the new capabilities. A 64 bit version might make it but I wouldn't hold my breath.The PC you are considering has a dual core CPU so that will make the sim work better. As always the graphics card should have the most and the fastest memory available (this is were the difference lies) see Guru of 3d (www.guru3d.com/) for best adviceI have a P4 @ 2500 mhz and it handles FSX just fine. I plan on upgrading my system when the new technologies settle down (multi cores, dual graphic cards, etc) in about a year or so. However, you can probably get a better deal with Dell for 799. I would add a sound card to that set up.

Guest SoarPics

The PC you are considering has a dual core CPU so that will make the sim work better.How? Please present proof of this. Few folks here have reported any real advantage from dual core technology.Regards,Greg

Don't do that. Vista 64-bit has a LOT of compatibility issues with hardware drivers. Second, since there are no 64-bit prorams to speak of, you'll not see any performace increase. Third, Vista 64-bit runs 32-bit programs in WOW64, which is 32-bit emulation and you will find some software that won't work.Don't waste your money or time with Vista 64. Also, don't expect miracles with your new system with FSX. Just seting your expectations.

Guest garymccl

thanks for the replies and advice everyone.its a shame there is no 64-bit version of fsx, but i'm told that the operating system should work better/quicker, so shouldn't fsx benefit form this, even if it isn't a 64-bit program itself. i assume, for example, there will be a 64-bit version of Directx 10.I think surely this is the way it's going - 64-bit it surely the future?

Either version of FS runs better on a 64 bit OS IMO. I have been running Win XP 64 for over a year now. I know FS is a 32 bit program, but it's the hardware that runs better, specifically texture loading is faster because of 64 bit video.

Guest allcott

64-bit is definitely the future - it's 32-bit architecture that limits the amount of RAM that can be utilised. But don't expect it any time soon. Vista 64 is nothing more than a toe on the water.And I woldn't expect a patch for FSX either. ANY 64-bit application has to be written as such from the very outset. There's no such thing as a patch to make things work better under 64-bit. That's not how it works.Allcott

Guest Purg

>The PC you are considering has a dual core CPU so that>will make the sim work better.>>How? Please present proof of this. Few folks here have>reported any real advantage from dual core technology.>>Regards,>>GregIt stands to reason, doesn't it?While FSX doesn't distribute all its load across both cores, it does distribute some. While FSX is running, you do have to remember that an OS is also in memory and running on the processor.Some have seen benefits setting the affinity to CPU1 which has potentially caused all other processes to move to CPU0 and free up the whole core for FSX.

Guest missamo80

FWIW I'm running FSX on Vista 64-bit right now (Athlon 64 3500+ processor) and there is zero FPS improvement over when I was running 32-bit XP. And my printer doesn't work, because there are no drivers for it :)Having said that, both the sound drier and nVidia video driver for Vista 64-bit work much better than the XP ones did!Neil