Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

RealAir aircraft in V5.1(HF1) - VC Audio Issues

Hi,

Something does not compute!

I have read all those well intentioned contributions regarding the lack of audible switch/ flap/ gear sounds in the superb Duke and Legacy RealAir aircraft when installed in Prepar3D V5/5.1/5.1 (HF1). Many give the impression that they have succeeded and yet, despite my efforts to date, this has not been my experience....yet!

Both aircraft were/are installed (using the ‘new’ installers kindly provided by ex-RealAir Sean Moloney) in Prepar3D v4.5 (HF2) under Windows 7 Pro and appear to be demonstrating full functionality, including all sounds in the VC.

I have tried:

1. Copying the relevant Add-ons installation folders from my 4.5 installation under Windows 10 Pro over to the equivalent Add-ons folder in V5.1 under Windows 10 Pro.

2. The registry hack as described in that other recent thread. Not clear to me why it is necessary, unless it’s to avoid errors by fooling the installers that Prepar3D v4 is also installed under Windows 10 and thereby allowing them to complete.

3. Installing both aircraft directly under Windows 10 using the ‘new’ installers, as described above.

Methods 1 and 3 seem to work in that both aircraft appear to be functioning as well as they did in Prepar3D v4.5. However, in each case, apart from engine noise, VC sounds remain absent. The Garmin GTN 750/650 installed successfully with method 3 using the respective aircraft configuration modules.

Two questions:

1. How do I reinstate those absent sounds in the VC? Posts from others appear to suggest that this is possible.

2. During the installation of each aircraft you are presented with two Prepar3D installation options: v4 and v5. I chose to install to v5 and adjusted the path to the Add-ons folder accordingly. Is this correct or should I have chosen v4 instead while still adjusting the path to the v5 Add-ons folder?

Clearly something is missing from my installation which is preventing those VC sounds from being heard. I’m assuming the ‘new’ installers ensure all the prerequisite files are in place, as they are in my 4.5 installation under Windows 7, and obviate the need for any file substitutions or configuration file adjustments, and yet those sounds remain stubbornly absent.

At this stage I would greatly appreciate any help and guidance from those of you who have achieved success with this challenge.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Mike

I don<t have that problem.

I have installed the B60v2and the Turbine Duke v2 in P3Dv5.1.12.

Here is how I did it:

When the installer shows you the path to install to:

user\\My Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

it actually writes on the screen the actual path for P3Dv4, you change the 4 for a 5 which will create a Realair folder for that aircraft in the P3Dv5 addons.

All the necessary files will be automatically installed in the P3Dv5 add-ons in your documents.

Your VC sounds should be there.

Hope I explained it clearly enough and I would suggest you uninstall and re-install with above procedure.

Pierre

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

2 hours ago, ppo said:

it actually writes on the screen the actual path for P3Dv4, you change the 4 for a 5 which will create a Realair folder for that aircraft in the P3Dv5 addons.

Interesting, because that’s exactly what I have done - see 2. under ‘Two questions:’ in my original post. 

Why does our matching methods produce different results?

Regards,

Mike

8 hours ago, Cruachan said:

I have tried:

1. Copying the relevant Add-ons installation folders from my 4.5 installation under Windows 10 Pro over to the equivalent Add-ons folder in V5.1 under Windows 10 Pro.

2. The registry hack as described in that other recent thread. Not clear to me why it is necessary, unless it’s to avoid errors by fooling the installers that Prepar3D v4 is also installed under Windows 10 and thereby allowing them to complete.

3. Installing both aircraft directly under Windows 10 using the ‘new’ installers, as described above.

Methods 1 and 3 seem to work in that both aircraft appear to be functioning as well as they did in Prepar3D v4.5. However, in each case, apart from engine noise, VC sounds remain absent. The Garmin GTN 750/650 installed successfully with method 3 using the respective aircraft configuration modules.

Two questions:

1. How do I reinstate those absent sounds in the VC? Posts from others appear to suggest that this is possible.

2. During the installation of each aircraft you are presented with two Prepar3D installation options: v4 and v5. I chose to install to v5 and adjusted the path to the Add-ons folder accordingly. Is this correct or should I have chosen v4 instead while still adjusting the path to the v5 Add-ons folder?

Clearly something is missing from my installation which is preventing those VC sounds from being heard. I’m assuming the ‘new’ installers ensure all the prerequisite files are in place, as they are in my 4.5 installation under Windows 7, and obviate the need for any file substitutions or configuration file adjustments, and yet those sounds remain stubbornly absent.

At this stage I would greatly appreciate any help and guidance from those of you who have achieved success with this challenge.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike

Even though I had 4.5, never installed it due to lack of hardware at the time.

My route was straight to v5.1HF1, and used the registry hack. Straightforward from the installer but I changed the default install location due storage size on my C drive.

My install path is : F:\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Legacy V2 P3D4. F being the P3D drive and I kept the install path proposed by the install with the major change, the drive name i.e. F instead of C.

I never had the install option prompt for V5, only V4.

Install ran, completed, used the Config Panel to add the F1 GTN's and all done.

Have sounds running in the VC. Have a video which I'm trying to link here later.

My guess is you probably have a file in the wrong place, during the copying from v4 to v5, or probably another file from v4 that was not copied across. I also came across this file:

C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\SimObjects\RealAir Duke Turbine V2. There could be others, which is why for me, the registry hack was the preferred install option.

So far, no issues with either the Turbine Duke and Legacy. All I need is a new VGA card 🙂

Hope this helps in some way, hope the install works out for you

Edited by Tokitaumelie
Added some details

Interesting...

My 2 Realair installers do not give me the choice of installing in P3Dv5, only P3Dv4:

The B60V2 is the june 2019 169kb and the Turbine v2 is dated nov 2017 at 282Kb.

But that is not necessarily going to help you.,

Sorry

Pierre

Pierre

Hi Pierre, Tokitaumelie

Thanks. I am starting to wonder whether the installer versions for the Duke V2 and the Legacy are the relevant factor here.

My so-called ‘new’ installers gave me the Prepar3D v4 and v5 options and I chose v5. Both of you selected v4 as v5 was unavailable. That base was covered by adjusting the path to the Prepar3D Add-ons folder by changing 4 to 5 and the registry hack allowed the install to continue as the installer ‘believed’ Prepar3D v4 was already installed.

I used the ‘new’ installers because they worked in Prepar3D v4 without any need to substitute the 64bit sound dll file or adjust config files. So, the assumption was that this would also be true when installing for Prepar3D v5.

Perhaps I should be selecting the Prepar3D v4 option during the installation since that’s what the installers are expecting AND, as before, adjust the path to direct the installation to the v5 Add-ons folder.

Regards,

Mike

Hi everyone!

Found the answer!!

As is often the case, the solution turned out to be embarrassingly simple!

I've been tearing my hair out (not wise as already significantly follicly challenged..lol) over this one. Everything I did made no difference whatsoever; with the exception of the continued presence of engine noise, those VC sounds remained stubbornly conspicuous by their absence.

Eventually I started comparing the Turbine Duke V2 and Legacy V2 folder properties from the Prepar3D v4.5 installations against their equivalents in Prepar3D v5 and still no joy, everything matched! Sooo frustrating!

Then, it was the turn of the Sound folders. Both folders have a collection of wav files so, in a moment of idle curiosity, I decided to play a few in Windows Media Player and........nothing!! At this point a light came on and I headed for.....

Windows 10 Sound settings and discovered that the chosen output device was in fact; Headphones (Rift Audio)

A quick change to Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) and ALL is now well!!

So, it would appear that configuring audio correctly (Primary Playback Device) in the sim was insufficient to permit those VC sounds to be heard in the Turbine Duke V2 and Legacy V2. It's also necessary to ensure that the output device in Windows 10 is set to match the sim's setting. Then those wav files will play.

I had forgotten that my Oculus software, which always loads at boot, has this irritating habit of changing the Sound output device. I imagine this was why others did not share my experience.

Incidentally, I was wrong about being offered a choice of sims (P3D4 and P3D5) during installation of these RealAir aircraft. In point of fact, that option does not present and the installations proceed to completion without incident after altering the path to the v5 Add-ons folder. Don't know where I was given that option. Perhaps it was seen during the Vertx DA62 installation...and that's another problem. Hopefully Sean will revisit this classic in the not too distant future.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruachan said:

A quick change to Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) and ALL is now well!!

Perhaps it was seen during the Vertx DA62 installation...and that's another problem. Hopefully Sean will revisit this classic in the not too distant future.

Regards,

Mike

Glad things worked out, sometimes the solutions are the simple troubleshooting processes we take for granted 🙂

Rediscovering why these aircraft, Legacy and the Duke Turbine took up so much of our time earlier. Probably just needs a v5 installer as well as some cosmetic updates, not a numbers person so have not gone in-depth on that.

I'm getting my feet wet with the Vertx DA62 in v5, never had a chance with P3D v4. 

Keep well and kind regards

• Like 1

One thing I've discovered is that the RealAir sound gauge (a renamed Doug Dawson gauge) does not work in the default Realair configuration in P3Dv5 if you have P3D set to use something other than the WIndows default sound device.  Some of us are doing that at present to avoid the unwanted sound volume drops (audio ducking) that popped up with a recent Win 10 update.

You can redirect the Realair audio to a non-default device by downloading Doug Dawson's latest P3D xml sound gauge from here:  https://www.douglassdawson.ca/

Rename the dsd_p3d_xml_sound_x64.dll gauge to RASDukeTv2_Sound.dll and replace the gauge by the same name in the Realair panel folder (keeping a backup of the original).

Then run the DSD_SoundConfiguration.exe file (downloaded from the URL above) and select the sound devices you want the gauge to use for sounds and voices.  That writes out a config file in the user's roaming folder.

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case