Sign in to follow this  
ADamiani

Crippling updates and disappearing features

15 hours ago, cobalt said:

I just have to comment on this post, which is a great example of -- sorry to have to use a strong word -- arrogance, which . unfortunately is all too common in these forums. "Cannot have improved"? How can you tell anyone that they are not seeing what they say they are seeing? This has happened to me, for example when I posted that the clouds I was seeing in MSFS looked exactly like the real clouds I was seeing out my window, and was told no, they didn't! A famous scientist once said that before he published any new finding he always asked himself, how might I be wrong? We should follow that rule. A little humility would go a long way in these discussions.

No need to apologize. Clouds do look great, and I'm sure they have improved. But I tend to look at the ground quite a bit when flying, and me and thousands of others have noticed a clear decline in ground complexity, rendering distance, etc., and have shared screenshots and video to prove it. Is providing evidence arrogant as well? 

17 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

But in your initial post you said: “Sorry but this is hard to believe when Asobo themselves have acknowledged that they have reduced some visuals to improve performance.”

That is the statement I am questioning.

YouTube videos and screen shots are all well and good, but all I can go by is my own experience, on my own system, which I have been using with MSFS since June. 

I did a bit of searching and you are correct, they haven't acknowledged that. I withdraw that statement. 

However, while I'm thrilled that some of you see improvements with every patch, a large number of us are experiencing the opposite, and there is nothing wrong with openly sharing our challenges, solutions, and frustrations with a product, that again, did not deliver the experience promised in marketing media, with others in the sim community. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eslader said:

What?

I explained it in the same post. I wish we could have some clear explanation, based on facts, from Asobo. If this cannot happen, then we can only observe and try to understand what's going on.

What really worries me is that Asobo and MS may be missing the point here: what makes a flight simming platform great is the community around it. It is not just another videogame. They started really well, but now they are losing the grip. If the community feel unsure, they will buy less addons, and then they will gradually lose interest.

Think about third party developers: would you invest hundreds of thousands of $ in the development of an airliner when many things are continuously "changing" in the main platform? 

The competitive advantage MS and Asobo have at the moment is important, but others may recover: Bing is not the only provider of Real World Data ...

Andrea

On 12/12/2020 at 4:01 AM, ADamiani said:

If this cannot happen, then we can only observe and try to understand what's going on.

What I was objecting to was the idea that theories (in this case, not using the scientific definition of the word) are the next best thing to facts. That's not really true unless the theories are grounded in known facts. That fool in the desert who killed himself in his steam-powered rocket was operating on a lot of non-factual theories that were not based on any actual evidence, including that the world is flat and that some piece of junk steampunk rocket welded together out of scrap metal was not a deathtrap. 

I see a lot of theories in this forum, including this thread, that are based solely on wild conjecture on the part of the theorist. Just in this thread it's been floated several times that the graphics reduction (itself a matter of dispute) is due to making the sim compatible with consoles. There's no evidence of that. It's just some wild guess that someone dreamed up entirely absent any basis in fact, and then decided people on the internet needed to read it. And then people read it on the internet and, hey, it's a "theory" on the internet and therefore must be true, and they started repeating it.

When theories, as is often the case here on Avsim, are not based in any sort of actual evidence, saying that they're the "next best thing" to fact is misleading. Those theories are bunk, useless, and in some cases harmful either to Asobo or to the sim community at large. That's not the next best thing - it's a bad thing.

Edited by eslader

On 12/10/2020 at 5:46 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Gents, keep the insults out of this discussion or those responsible will have their posts hidden and maybe worse.

I knew all this was going to happen when MSFS2020 was released..  I do not post often, just read and try to learn.  It's been hilarious but not helpful. 

3 hours ago, eslader said:

When theories, as is often the case here on Avsim, are not based in any sort of actual evidence, saying that they're the "next best thing" to fact is misleading. Those theories are bunk, useless, and in some cases harmful either to Asobo or to the sim community at large. That's not the next best thing - it's a bad thing.

I am afraid I have to dissent.

The evidence I have is that some beautiful features of this sim are disappearing. 

If the guys at Asobo don't offer an explanation for this, my conclusion is that either

a) they don't know what's going on (but in this case they should be investigating the bug) 

b) they know what's going on but are not telling us

So, based on what we see and the limited information we have, we try to understand. In the process, some crazy hypotheses are formulated, and some people with actual experience share their knowledge with the others (I have learned a couple things in the last days, and that's always good).

Some other hypotheses are less crazy, and maybe they are good approximations of what is actually going on.

In my judgement, there is nothing wrong in this.

Andrea

• Like 1