Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

Loading Time

Holy smokes do I wish they could do something about the ridiculous amount of time it takes to load!  From the time the icon is clicked until the time sitting on the runway ready to go is several minutes, and has been getting longer as more updates get released. 

• Like 3

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

I have the sim installed on an NVME SSD and have not noticed a significant increase in load times. 

Filling the community folder with scenery add-ons will definitely impact your load time if you've done that.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

22 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Holy smokes do I wish they could do something about the ridiculous amount of time it takes to load!  From the time the icon is clicked until the time sitting on the runway ready to go is several minutes, and has been getting longer as more updates get released. 

Actually it gets longer and longer as more addons are added.   If you have a big scenery area loading, that will add a lot.

I use the addon manager so I click activate only the add on scenery I'll be travelling with.  keeps load times down.

• Upvote 1

No increase in load times here.

Is it installed on a SSD? Rolling cache enabled / disabled on the same drive?

with 20 threads of CPU Cores, it should not take this long right? I have unselected many of the freeware addons. Left only the best and places I think I would travel often. MSFS AddonLinker is amazing. I don't have to delete anything. Just unlink and when I feel like going to one of those delinked airport, I just link it again.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

49 minutes ago, Manny said:

with 20 threads of CPU Cores, it should not take this long right? I have unselected many of the freeware addons. Left only the best and places I think I would travel often. MSFS AddonLinker is amazing. I don't have to delete anything. Just unlink and when I feel like going to one of those delinked airport, I just link it again.

I have to agree, it shouldn't take so long. MSFS installed on an SSD, system drive is also SSD, fast memory, fast CPU, fast internet connection.

And I notice that during the "loading" not much is going on. System and MSFS drives barely accessed, and only for seconds, same for internet, CPU barely idling. Could it be prep stuff being done at their servers?

• Like 2

i3-9100F 16-GB memory

Drive C (windows) Drive D (dedicated to MSFS) are both SSD

Some measurements (minutes:seconds):

Load time to Welcome Screen 1:57 after clicking on Windows desktop icon for MSFS

Load Time (from clicking FLY button on World Map Screen) with DA62 and flight plan from Great Falls, Montana to Spokane, Washington 1:03 until FLY appears with plane on runway

Neither load time changes when I empty my Community Folder

After clicking FLY on the World Map - MSFS SSD is 15% to 92% for first 28 seconds, Windows SSD is busy for the next 10-seconds and then there is almost no disk activity for the next 25 seconds until I see the DA62 on the runway ready to fly

Community Folder contains:

6 - 3rd party airports

4 - ORBX airports

Yosemite Valley Scenery

6 - airplane modifications

• Like 2

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

18 minutes ago, desbean said:

And I notice that during the "loading" not much is going on. System and MSFS drives barely accessed, and only for seconds, same for internet, CPU barely idling. Could it be prep stuff being done at their servers?

10 minutes ago, TacomaSailor said:

After clicking FLY on the World Map - MSFS SSD is 15% to 92% for first 28 seconds, Windows SSD is busy for the next 10-seconds and then there is almost no disk activity for the next 25 seconds until I see the DA62 on the runway ready to fly

If you turn on dev mode and the fps counter, you'll see during that "idle" time is where content is being loaded / pre-cached into system memory and VRAM. It's actually pretty system intensive in the background and is a good stress test of an overclock (if it's going to BSOD, that's where it'll do it...ask how I know 😂!).

2 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Holy smokes do I wish they could do something about the ridiculous amount of time it takes to load! 

Just did a 3 times start check:

almost exsactly 1min 22.sec to the welcome screen for me, from there it depends where you start.

I doubt this holy smoke 😉

M.2 drive here. Takes roughly around 2 mins. From clicking icon to being in the runway. 

2 hours ago, marsman2020 said:

I have the sim installed on an NVME SSD and have not noticed a significant increase in load times. 

Filling the community folder with scenery add-ons will definitely impact your load time if you've done that.

I have definitely noticed an increase ,, and my community folder only has 2 airbus liveries and a prop. NVME as well. Its around the same time frame clicking the icon but after you set up your flightplan and hit the fly button its starting to take a really long time now to load.

Edited by Maxis

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

I'm not sure what "this long" is.

I took a lot of measurement before "press any key" went away, but something like 2-3 min for icon -> menu, hit 'fly' -> loaded and ready to go, and it's been consistent.

I have no scenery add-ons though, just a couple aircraft and the WT Garmin mods.

I have had a couple instances where it took forever (many minutes) after clicking "Fly" for no apparent reason.  This has not been repeatable.  I suspect it is preloading things from the internet during that time and perhaps internet speed could influence load times.  I'm on a 200mbit connection so it's likely limited from the server side.

Edited by marsman2020

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

Just now, marsman2020 said:

I'm not sure what "this long" is.

I took a lot of measurement before "press any key" went away, but something like 2-3 min for icon -> menu, hit 'fly' -> loaded and ready to go, and it's been consistent.

I have no scenery add-ons though, just a couple aircraft and the WT Garmin mods.

Well unfortunately i didnt think i would need to start measuring time to load for this sim when it came out but here we are. I dont have specifics but there is a very noticeable difference for me since maybe 2 updates now. I also until very recently had a completely virgin install. Now i have two liveries and a prop. The last seconds  needed to load stuff into VRAM caught my attention. I will look into that.

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

It is definitely taking a lot longer lately.  I have the NVME super fast drive and i9-1000 cpu.  And I have scenery manager. It takes long as well for flight to load even in cached area.