Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

Loading Time

Just took me about 5-6 minutes from the time I clicked the icon on the desktop to the time I was sitting on the runway.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Bit over two minutes to  the main menu with a 15GB addons in community.   i5 8400, NVME, RTX2060

Loading Rob's Turbo Bonanza at the YSPT pay ware airport is another 1m 50 seconds,

So 4 minutes give or take a few seconds on average till I am rolling on the runway.

Given that I faff about for at least 5 or 10 minutes adjusting my headset and trackir and getting a drink and deciding where to go, 4 minutes is not to bad.

Observations:

• The first startup of MSFS after a windows restart may be faster ? Unsure as not properly tested.
  • Loading Process lasso and increasing MSFS CPU priority and I/O priority seems about 30% faster to load.

Note that wifi is thrashed hard and there seems to be a lot of texture decompressing or some such going on  at times as the GPU is very busy at some points during start-up not just CPU and SSD .

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

I had the same issue on a powerful computer, waiting for at least 5 -6 minutes before being able to get it going.

On my PC it came down unchecking the box of each SSD "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" and  disabling file date stamping. Now is within 3 minutes.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

6 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

the ridiculous amount of time it takes to load!  

One simmer's ridiculous, is another one's short loading time. Patch after patch loading times have improved for me. 

From Windows desktop to main menu take about the same time since release for me, about a minute I think, but loading from world map to cockpit takes longer time after each update, I have a very fast M2 SSD.

• Upvote 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I have the sim installed on an NVME SSD and it takes me 10 minutes (I timed it last night) to get to the setup screen from start.

but I have a bunch of freeware addon airports and liveries as well.

Edited by Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

2 minutes ago, Manny said:

I have the sim installed on an NVME SSD and it takes me 10 minutes (I timed it last night) to get to the setup screen from start.

That seems an extraordinarily long time. Depending where and what I fly it can often be under 4 minutes from clicking game until I am sitting in the aircraft.

There is definitely more to it than CPU and SSD speed though.  GPU and internet speed seem to effect startup time as well.

8 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

That seems an extraordinarily long time. Depending where and what I fly it can often be under 4 minutes from clicking game until I am sitting in the aircraft.

There is definitely more to it than CPU and SSD speed though.  GPU and internet speed seem to effect startup time as well.

I have the fastest available Intel CPU with  5.2 Ghz with 32GB Memory. my FIOS  Internet speed is 80Mbps?  My GPU isn't the best. I can't get one of the latest video cards.

Edited by Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

4 hours ago, Ixoye said:

From Windows desktop to main menu take about the same time since release for me, about a minute I think, but loading from world map to cockpit takes longer time after each update, I have a very fast M2 SSD.

This is exactly what i am experiencing.

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

1 hour ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I agree, from clicking on the icon to getting to the map, its 2mins 18sec for me and 20 secs from fly to in game. Also using an nvme ssd and I have 119 gb in my community folder

3 hours ago, Manny said:

but I have a bunch of freeware addon airports and liveries as well.

Have you checked maybe if it's not your anti-virus (or other security software) slowing down the launch. Some addons with google data that are not optimized have several 10'000 of textures, if you have some security software that scans them all at each launch (and sends them to microsoft to make sure they're safe j/k 😋) it will probably slow things down quite a bit.

I think i read a few weeks ago someone stating that disabling 'windows defender' improved loading time a lot (obviously do no deactivate securtity stuff permanently but maybe just do a test without those things running to see if it comes from there). Then if you see a difference you can re-enable them and create exceptions where needed.

In the Task manager you can also check if there are other processes consuming CPU that start at the same time as the FS launch, If for example you see MsMpEng (microsoft antimalware service process) constantly consuming cpu during the loading it might be a big souce of slowdown.

ok hmm ... shots in the dark 🙃, probably not very useful and problem is elswehere, but 10 minute on SSD seems incredibly long. Good luck !

• Like 1

Loading times from the world map to the sim aren't very useful unless you state your aircraft and departure airport, as I have noticed it varies wildly depending on that.  Mainly scenery I suspect, but I have noticed the C152 in Lanzarote for example seems to load in half the time of say the A320 at Heathrow, and I suppose we would all expect this.

Just to say I have a Samsung 970 pro m.2, and it does seem to take a disappointingly long time.  My perception is that it does seem to take longer lately, but I can't prove it because I never took timings to start with.  Although as one indicator, I never felt it necessary to start with.  Now I am thinking of timing it.

As would be expected also, I have noticed it is a bit quicker second time in, especially with the same aircraft and location of course.

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

From launching to main menu it's very fast on my Sabrent m.2 drive, with everything loaded in my community folder (10s of GB's) it takes a couple of minutes, but with an empty folder it's seconds.

From menu to runway a minute maybe.

I also have a Sabrent rocket pcie4 m.2 drive - basically the gold standard right now. I was going to transfer MSFS over to it. But for a few seconds I really cannot be bothered - and would rather use it for apps better optimised.

Edited by hanhamreds

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

On 12/9/2020 at 9:17 PM, andyjohnston.net said:

Holy smokes do I wish they could do something about the ridiculous amount of time it takes to load!  From the time the icon is clicked until the time sitting on the runway ready to go is several minutes, and has been getting longer as more updates get released. 

Interesting I don't use third party photogrammetry which can slow loading down but apart from taking time to get into the sim, I find loading a flight is 2 to 3 times faster than DCS World and X-Plane. The loading times are remarkaly quick. The last third of the loading does appear to be prep for streaming data so I guess if you have a slow internet connection this could drag out the loading but really it's super quick for me (once in the sim).

Edited by dtrjones

Suggests a solution I have asked before for FSX - can you not exit completely out of MSFS to Desktop, or can you leave "Home" screen open indefinitely ?

I have fairly short loading times with latest Update.  SSD really helps. Also, I recently had to "Reset" MSFS when I couldn't get past pages of World Update when starting .

Dave Hinson