Sign in to follow this  
Shomron

P3D v5.1 performance observations

Hi,

I moved from v4.5 HF3 to the latest v 5.1 HF with a clean install (did not have previous versions installed).

I see most posts are saying how much better v5 performance is and I agree generally fps is higher however I'm encountering more stutters (compared to v4) at some scenarios:

1. Sometimes when starting to taxi in a complex airport

2. At 4x rate while cruising

3. Dynamic lighting has big impact (in v4 I never had to go back to MSAA in order to get acceptable fps) - however in this specific case I used DL profile from ini builds with Taxi2gate LFPG which was designed originally for v4.

Stutters were hardly observed by me in v4 so this is pretty disappointing.

This with EA on and sliders positioned the same as in v4. My specs are in my sig. I'm using a 4K screen.

What are your observations? Do you also see v4 being superior in performance in certain areas?

Thanks

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

One of the youtubers said (of course I don't know if it's true, so you must verify) that sliders set to normal in P3Dv5 are the same as sliders set to max in P3Dv4 (the same visual effect). Maybe try this and check your performance vs visual quality.

Edited by AdiR

Adrian

At the moment, after only some testing and a handful of flights, I think FPS and visuals are way better, but I also think there are more micro-stutters. For me, they seem to manifest when panning the view quickly (locked spot, head tracker), probably because P3D has to load stuff.

The only major difference between my V4 and V5 installations is that I left out FTX Vectors, which certainly has a positive impact. On the other hand, I can turn road traffic up to 100% without the frame-rate dropping under 25, the value to which I lock in P3D. And that's at KJFK, KSFO, KBOS or EGLL, where in V4 I was struggling badly to get 20 FPS with 5% of road traffic... So, all in all I'd say V5 is better than V4.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

2 hours ago, Shomron said:

Hi,

I moved from v4.5 HF3 to the latest v 5.1 HF with a clean install (did not have previous versions installed).

I see most posts are saying how much better v5 performance is and I agree generally fps is higher however I'm encountering more stutters (compared to v4) at some scenarios:

1. Sometimes when starting to taxi in a complex airport

2. At 4x rate while cruising

3. Dynamic lighting has big impact (in v4 I never had to go back to MSAA in order to get acceptable fps) - however in this specific case I used DL profile from ini builds with Taxi2gate LFPG which was designed originally for v4.

Stutters were hardly observed by me in v4 so this is pretty disappointing.

This with EA on and sliders positioned the same as in v4. My specs are in my sig. I'm using a 4K screen.

What are your observations? Do you also see v4 being superior in performance in certain areas?

Thanks

Hi Shom,

when i was still on 4.5 i used VSync on in P3D and had the FPS limit to 30. With those settings 4.5 was nearly smooth but there where still noticable microstutters while taxi and takeoff, but it worked so far.

Then i upgraded to 5.0 with exactly the same settings i´ve had in 4.5. I could instantly noticed, that there was a performance increase overall, but still stutters while taxi. Though i changed my setting from 4.5 like this: I have left the VSync enabled in P3D but i´ve set the FPS to unlimited. In the first step i noticed that the FPS counter was at 60 to 80 and somtimes even at 110 on an airport like EDDF from Aerosoft. But the FPS where oscilating very much and from this i could really see, the stutters came from. I left the FPS in P3D at unlimited and set instead a FPS limitation to 30 in the NVidia Controlpanel. From then on, absolute not stutters anymore an my FPS counter is nailed at 30 in P3D, no matter where i taxi or takoff from (EDDF, EDDM, LEMD, EGGL...).

The overall smoothness, especially while taxi, take off or landing at high dense airports is just incredible. Even with Ultrasettings for active sky ASCA and a lot of clouds everything stays smooth.

Of course there are still longframes from time to time, especially if you approaching a high dense scenery. But i can see that this comes from the big amount of textures being loaded at a certain point.

• Like 2

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

I use P3Dv5.1 with Skyforce 3D and EA activated, V-sync on and 30 fps limit.

I9700, 1080Ti and 32 mB rig:  Fantastic simulation, stable, no stutters and beautiful skies/atmospheres.

43 minutes ago, BerndB said:

Hi Shom,

when i was still on 4.5 i used VSync on in P3D and had the FPS limit to 30. With those settings 4.5 was nearly smooth but there where still noticable microstutters while taxi and takeoff, but it worked so far.

Then i upgraded to 5.0 with exactly the same settings i´ve had in 4.5. I could instantly noticed, that there was a performance increase overall, but still stutters while taxi. Though i changed my setting from 4.5 like this: I have left the VSync enabled in P3D but i´ve set the FPS to unlimited. In the first step i noticed that the FPS counter was at 60 to 80 and somtimes even at 110 on an airport like EDDF from Aerosoft. But the FPS where oscilating very much and from this i could really see, the stutters came from. I left the FPS in P3D at unlimited and set instead a FPS limitation to 30 in the NVidia Controlpanel. From then on, absolute not stutters anymore an my FPS counter is nailed at 30 in P3D, no matter where i taxi or takoff from (EDDF, EDDM, LEMD, EGGL...).

The overall smoothness, especially while taxi, take off or landing at high dense airports is just incredible. Even with Ultrasettings for active sky ASCA and a lot of clouds everything stays smooth.

Of course there are still longframes from time to time, especially if you approaching a high dense scenery. But i can see that this comes from the big amount of textures being loaded at a certain point.

Unfortunately, this is an immersion killer when it happens during landing ... Otherwise I agree with you in all points.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

59 minutes ago, BerndB said:

Hi Shom,

Thanks I have the fps locked at 30 within P3D (as I had in v4.5). Is the recommendation to lock it in the NVI instead?

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

I've always had better results locking in NVI with unlimited on and vsync on in sim

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, BerndB said:

I left the FPS in P3D at unlimited and set instead a FPS limitation to 30 in the NVidia Controlpanel

12 minutes ago, micstatic said:

I've always had better results locking in NVI with unlimited on and vsync on in sim

Historically, this has led to blurries. This isn't the case any more?

Edited by d.tsakiris

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

15 minutes ago, d.tsakiris said:

I haven't seen or heard this.  Not sure if it makes a difference.  But I don't use max frame rate in NCP.  Instead I go to change resolution/refresh rate.  Then change my tv to 30hz

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, Shomron said:

Thanks I have the fps locked at 30 within P3D (as I had in v4.5). Is the recommendation to lock it in the NVI instead?

i would give it a try, yes! Additionally set the low latency mode to "ULTRA" in NVI

Edited by BerndB

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

Unfortunately, this is an immersion killer when it happens during landing ... Otherwise I agree with you in all points.

at least it´s very rare and i doesn´t happen to me at landing so far. If it´s happen it´s at the point when the LOD-radius of a scenery is calling the high resolution textures, what is most likely arround 10 to 15 miles before FAF. The issue with longframes, where the "long" stands for 0.5 seconds in my case, might be caused by so many different things. Textures loading, loading of larger ammount  of simobjects like AI aircrafts, weather changes of AS, or everything together. They can even be caused by Windows searching periodicly for updates in the background. 

Bernd

19 minutes ago, BerndB said:

i would give it a try, yes! Additionally set the low latency mode to "ULTRA" in NVI

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that low latency mode does not work in DX12.  

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

I think when it's close to the airport it's GSX gates loading in, Couatl creates stutters (see example when people start boarding the aicraft)

Shom

5 hours ago, d.tsakiris said:

Setting unlimited in absence of any other frame rate control might.  But unlimited set in the sim along with VSync and a monitor with a 30Hz hardware refresh rate still limits the frame rate, but through a different mechanism, which has the positive effect of taking the wasted workload of trying to generate frames above the refresh rate off of the CPU.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case