Sign in to follow this  
jimh

P3D5.1 Startup with Reverb G2?

Hi All,

I hope you can forgive me for asking such a childish question, but I'm really frustrated over how to get into the the left seat of an aircraft, ReverbG2 on my head, ready for flight.  I've come from a Valve Index, where I just donned the headset, chose VR then Steam, and off I went.

I have buttons mapped thro' FSUIPC to adjust my eyepoint just right.  At the moment I find myself six feet above the aircraft in going into VR, my buttons sometimes work, sometimes not, I have a cursor, sometimes not (I do know Win+Y can be pressed).  Maybe I'm getting too old for this hobby.  Could someone please list for me the correct sequence of moves in using Windows Mixed Reality Portal, the headset itself, P3D, and of course SteamVR?

I'm very embarrassed to have to ask, but I'm fed up with my present hit or miss attempts to simply start the Sim in VR successfully.

Your Hopefully, Jim H.

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

Hi Jim, 

You’ll need to download windows mixed reality portal from the steam store. Once installed, run that and load up p3d and select steam vr. To get yourself back into the left seat you can use the recalibrate hmd from the virtual reality menu, or assign a hot key to it. I use a button on my yoke. 

To avoid pressing the windows+y key, I’ve learned that just pressing the windows key once to bring up the mixed reality menu, then pressing it again to make that menu disappear allows you to click everything in the cockpit.

This all came from trial and error as I didn’t find the guide that came with the g2 very helpful. Hope this all made sense 🙂 let me know if that helps.

Best,

Terry 

Edited by robocop

Hi Terry,

Thanks a million for your helpful reply.

At what stage exactly do you press the Windows key twice?  I've been pressing it after P3D is in VR.  The second press crashes out P3D.

Jim

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

Glad to help, Jim.

For me, I press the windows key once I have the headset on. I’ll press it once, then once more to make the menu disappear. I won’t click on any of the buttons in that menu.

Now sometimes it isn’t necessary for me to even press the windows key as I can interact with the flight deck  on the first try and I can’t understand for the life of me why that is. 

Another thing to avoid crashes is to not press play on the windows mixed reality window. Simply minimize it and select steam vr within P3D.

I wish it wasn’t this finicky. My rift s was much easier to deal with. Let me know if that works.

Terry 

Hi Terry,

I can't thank you enough, for you've helped me get a routine which works.  I've been practising and practising since your first reply.

For me, pressing Win key twice, as you describe, with the headset on, consistently crashes P3D straight out.  Very strange that it doesn't work for me!  No matter, I now have a routine which seems to work every time.

1.  Headset in full view on my desk.

2.  Start Mixed Reality Portal.

3.  Start P3D5.1

4.  Enable VR and SteamVR.

5.  Press Win+Y

6.  Now put on my G2.

7.  Press Recalibrate Origin - HMD

8.  Now, at last, I'm at the controls and have a working cursor!

Like you, I'm comparing very unfavourably, the difference between using my previous HMD, the Valve Index, with this complex procedure to get going with the Reverb G2.  Once at the instruments however, the G2 is definitely in a class of its own.

Thanks again, Terry.

Jim

• Like 1

That’s great, Jim! 

I agree all the frustrations with it go out the window once you’re at the controls and marveling at how clear everything is. Enjoy it! 

Terry 

Jim

If you want to get more „comfort“ in VR mode, you might use VoiceAttack. With the headset on it is difficult to hit the right buttons on your keyboard. But with VoiceAttack you can define a spoken word or phrase for any key press or combination of key presses. I use it e.g. for recalibrating the origin, but also for operating the gear, flaps, lights etc. and for calling pop-up windows.

Felix

16 hours ago, jimh said:

Hi Terry,

I can't thank you enough, for you've helped me get a routine which works.  I've been practising and practising since your first reply.

For me, pressing Win key twice, as you describe, with the headset on, consistently crashes P3D straight out.  Very strange that it doesn't work for me!  No matter, I now have a routine which seems to work every time.

1.  Headset in full view on my desk.

2.  Start Mixed Reality Portal.

3.  Start P3D5.1

4.  Enable VR and SteamVR.

5.  Press Win+Y

6.  Now put on my G2.

7.  Press Recalibrate Origin - HMD

8.  Now, at last, I'm at the controls and have a working cursor!

Like you, I'm comparing very unfavourably, the difference between using my previous HMD, the Valve Index, with this complex procedure to get going with the Reverb G2.  Once at the instruments however, the G2 is definitely in a class of its own.

Thanks again, Terry.

Jim

There’s also an option to permanently remove the need to press Win+Y. See “input switching” here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/set-up-windows-mixed-reality#adjusting-your-headsets-display-settings

BTW I also get the crash pressing the windows key. It seems to force SteamVR to close and the way P3Dv5 is architected, anytime SteamVR is closed after the first VR launch, it forces P3D to close too. I’ve posted on the LM forums to ask them to change this as it didn’t happen in 4.5

Edited by ah2511

Hi Guys,

I've downloaded the latest version of Voice Attack to try it out.  I'm not too sure about it, for Windows voice recognition doesn't like my Scots accent much.

I've also made the switch to automatic Win+Y, so here goes!

Thanks All, Jim

On 12/13/2020 at 3:27 AM, jimh said:

Hi Guys,

I've downloaded the latest version of Voice Attack to try it out.  I'm not too sure about it, for Windows voice recognition doesn't like my Scots accent much.

I've also made the switch to automatic Win+Y, so here goes!

Thanks All, Jim

If you go through the Windows voice recognition training it will work very well. I’ve been a VoiceAttack fan for years.

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2