Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Nielsen

Here goes nothing

'Oft delayed and after a twenty year hiatus, I'm starting up my flight lessons again this weekend at Falcon Field in Mesa, AZ. Wish me luck!-John

Best of luck buddy! I began taking the theory lessons about a year ago and got the license last autumn. Haven

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

You'll do fine. :-)

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Have fun. I spent many a day out there plane watching as a kid when there were nothing but citrus orchards for miles in any direction from FFZ.Just out of curiousity, what does an hour of dual time go for out there now?RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I've only looked at the overall numbers--I'm looking at about $4200 to obtain the SPL give or take. It will probably be on the higher side since I plan on getting the ATC, speed and Class B endorsements. Block time on the Allegro itself is about $75 an hour. I don't know how these rates compare--I believe I am the first in the forums here to be going after a Sport Pilot certification. -John

Good Luck John and have fun!I wish I could do it too, but my sight on the left eye is not good enough and also my sense of balance in the left ear is dead.Wolfgang

Guest DreamFleet

Have fun, John, and best wishes.I remember when I got my PPL: 9-29-75, also was my 17th birthday then (ooh! I date myself!).We need more real pilots in FS, and I hope you can join the ranks of us real soon."Ain't nothing like the real thing", and never forget that. :-)Wolfgang: Not so sure you could not do it either. Did you know that there is a pilot who flies for FEDEX who only has one arm? She also flies solo in a Cessna Caravan for them!Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Guest ThrottleUp

Good luck John and most of all: have fun :)Remember not to say "Wheres F4?" when the instructor says to put in full throttle :(

Back from my flight at Falcon Field! What a perfect day for flying, but getting there was a battle since the Loop 202 was closed--took 70 minutes to cover about 40 miles.This forum has heard pilot reports from students before--I won't make this long, but suffice it to say I had a very pleasant afternoon!I knew going into today's flight that MSFS would prepare me well for some things, and for others not as well. For instrument drill and navigation in this type of aircraft, I think MSFS is almost faultless. For hands on prep, I think MSFS did better than I expected it to, but I think so much depends on the FDE of the aircraft. The Allegro is very responsive and very clean. I found I could very easily redline it if I didn't pay attention--OTH, it held its speed very well in turns.I was surprised by how much the CFI allowed me to do for my first lesson--he let me taxi the aircraft to the runway, and let me take off and handle the climb out. I was unprepared for how steep the climbout was (he had me perform the takeoff with no flaps). He noted that a flaps takeoff produced an even steeper climbout.The hardest trick for me to learn I feel going forward is, although the aircraft is very sensitive, it also takes a bit of pressure to first get it to change attitude, so I found myself overcontrolling way too much--I was embarrassed to a certain extent because that's one thing I don't do in the sim. OTH, I didn't have much trouble getting the aircraft to go where I wanted it to go. I flew it out to the practice area Northeast of Fountain Hills and milled around there for thirty minutes, and flew it back to the airport flying downwind and base, with the CFI flying the last 1/2 mile of the approach (after I turned to final) and the landing.As I mentioned earlier, the CFI allowed me to taxi the aircraft to the runway, and I was surprised at how easy it was, even with some gusty winds, to taxi "with my feet". MSFS needs to improve in this area, as almost any breeze tends to knock things off kilter when taxiing in the sim. Part of the process was doing a 180 for runup just before takeoff, and the Allegro on the ground was rather nice to handle. It's an unusual aircraft in one sense, as it has a handbrake akin to a bicycle. Glad I didn't have to pump the pedals to keep the Rotax 912 hummin' :) Biggest problem I have at the moment, is I want to go up again, to prove to myself I can do better--and of course with a job and family, I doubt I will get up more than once a week. Funny item to note, on the drive home I was treating my SUV like an Allegro, and could almost swear I drove it better than I'd ever driven in my life. Total time logged for today's flight: 52 minutes.-John

congrats, John. Sounds like a blast! I know when I finally save up to go for my PPL I will go the first time and want to go back after landing! Enjoy

I wanna see some videos of you also, John. Teehee. :-)

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply