Sign in to follow this  
Frank STY

WIN10 20H2 and P3D v5.1HF1

No problems so far... I’ve been using FsLabs A32x for several flights and no issues with 20H2...

Intel i9 13900KS - MSI MEG Z790 ACE Gaming - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - Corsair 32GB DDR5 7200MHz Dominator Platinum RGB - Samsung 1TB + 3x 2TB 980 Pro M.2 SSD Raid 0 - LG 4K 55" OLED C1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 PSU - Virpil Constellation Alpha L & R Grips + MongoosT-50CM2 Grip + MongoosT-50CM2 Base + MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle + Control Panel #2 + Ace Collection Pedals - Honeycomb Alpha XPC + Bravo - Stream Deck XL + PLUS - Corsair K100 OPX RGB Platinum + Nightsword RGB + MM800 RGB Polaris + 7000D Airflow Black Case - Tobii Eye Tracker 5 using OpenTrack - Wharfedale Evo 4.2 Speakers - SVS SB-2000 Pro Subwoofer - Bluesound POWERNODE - Herman Miller Embody Chair Black - ButtKicker Gamer PRO

I don´t have any issues so far.

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Yes using it for some time now and had updates this week running V5.1 HF1.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

3 hours ago, Skywolf said:

yeah, I just got upgraded by accident to Win10 20H2...stable so far.

Aren't you lucky! I am still trying to get 2004!

No method suggested by anybody works. The only way as far as I can see, is to delete everything and reload.(Which I don't want to do).

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

4 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

Aren't you lucky! I am still trying to get 2004!

Hi Ian,

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Unless or until something you are running actually needs the latest ‘Feature’ update, why invite further potential hassle? I had the same experience moving from 1903 to 2004. In my case it involved disconnecting all peripheral devices (except keyboard and mouse) prior to the update and each time the computer restarted I avoided failure by returning to the Win10 Desktop via the UEFA BIOS - Saving and Exit each time despite no BIOS changes having been made. However, I have a dual boot arrangement so my difficulties might have related to that in some way. 

The reality is that there really is little need to accept these so-called ‘Feature’ updates until Microsoft withdraws support for your current version. Even then, providing you can still receive the ‘Quality’ updates, including security fixes, then it seems to me that keeping MS’s meddling off our backs for as long as possible is a desirable objective! There is a way:

https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/06/29/windows-10-registry-trick-to-block-feature-updates/

My fingers are tightly crossed! If this works, then I can stay on 2004 until MS withdraws support for this version in December 2021 - 12 months freedom from anxiety worrying when the next ‘Feature’ update will be thrust upon me! Bliss! 

I know most of you reading this will be surviving these updates without issues, but spare a thought for folk, like me and Ian, who have suffered and consequently share this love/hate relationship with our overlords at Redmond.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by Cruachan

3 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Ian,

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Unless or until something you are running actually needs the latest ‘Feature’ update, why invite further potential hassle? I had the same experience moving from 1903 to 2004. In my case it involved disconnecting all peripheral devices (except keyboard and mouse) prior to the update and each time the computer restarted I avoided failure by returning to the Win10 Desktop via the UEFA BIOS - Saving and Exit each time despite no BIOS changes having been made. However, I have a dual boot arrangement so my difficulties might have related to that in some way. 

The reality is that there really is little need to accept these so-called ‘Feature’ updates until Microsoft withdraws support for your current version. Even then, providing you can still receive the ‘Quality’ updates, including security fixes, then it seems to me that keeping MS’s meddling off our backs for as long as possible is a desirable objective! There is a way:

https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/06/29/windows-10-registry-trick-to-block-feature-updates/

My fingers are tightly crossed! If this works, then I can stay on 2004 until MS withdraws support for this version in December 2021 - 12 months freedom from anxiety worrying when the next ‘Feature’ update will be thrust upon me! Bliss! 

I know most of you reading this will be surviving these updates without issues, but spare a thought for folk, like me and Ian, who have suffered and consequently share this love/hate relationship with our overlords at Redmond.

Regards,

Mike

I don't see them as overlords (my daughter works for them!!!).

I only wanted the update as people say the graphic card management is much better.

• Upvote 1

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

59 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

I don't see them as overlords (my daughter works for them!!!)

Well then, perhaps she could be asked to have a polite word in their ears to sort out these updating issues that continue to plague some of our setups. I realise the permutations of Windows 10 system configurations out there must be enormous, unlike those with devices running Apple IOS, but surely it’s not beyond the wit of their developers to come up with a way to circumvent these issues and ensure everyone can be updated easily without these attendant hassles. Even if something breaks during the process (can always be sorted out later) then it would still be worth it. 

A guaranteed regular and reliable ‘Feature’ updating experience would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

One of the things I noticed with my current 4 monitor Wall is that I had to disable few monitors for P3D.  I wasn't using P3D with 4 monitors anyway, just one.  One additional monitor for browser, manuals etc and rest of the 2 just for cool factor (I do use all my monitors when my pc boots into work system).   Disabling them and doing a fresh Prepar3d.cfg - gave me like 400mb of VRAM free and now my P3D has 7.1gb Max VRAM limit.  So that helps.

So far the update is stable but I am always hesitant to jump into feature upgrades till more people get it (and the build is tested more). 

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

37 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

but I am always hesitant to jump into feature upgrades till more people get it (and the build is tested more). 

Very wise. Really, isn’t it about time MS’s Updates are subjected to far more rigorous quality control before unleashing them on unsuspecting users across the world?

To clarify:

https://www.windowscentral.com/whats-difference-between-quality-updates-and-feature-updates-windows-10

In the end, the decision rests with the end user. Currently this end user prefers to keep MS at bay as much as is realistically and sensibly possible. That way I can maintain a stable, well-performing setup.

I can understand where RA is coming from. His statements are, of course, true. However, it could be argued that his requirements, and those of others who feel the compulsion to keep abreast of technological improvements are somewhat different to the average user such as myself. My system continues to deliver what I need in terms of performance and stability thereby negating any imperative to rock the boat needlessly and prematurely.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by Cruachan

Rob, you bring back a lot of memories.

At the risk of dating myself, I am already of the generation that can "look back and laugh at what we had to do to keep a computer running well".

To me DOS was a real breakthrough after what was required to keep my first computer running (circa 1975):

ztXgYEO.png

...Lloyd

• Like 4

Lloyd Noel (Ontario, Canada)

Intel i9 10900KF@5.2GHz / NZXT Kraken X73 AIO / MSI MPG Z590 Gaming+ / 32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance LPX / Gigabyte RTX3080Ti Gaming OC / Corsair RM1000e 1KW PS / 1TB WD Black M.2 (Win 11 Pro) / 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 .(MSFS2020) / 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (XP12) / 1TB TimeTec SATA (Misc. & FS Support)

19 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

GPU scheduling was added to Win10 recently which with current GPU drivers and enabled is beneficial for performance.

19 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Hi Rob,

How does one enable what you have mentioned above?

Dave