Sign in to follow this  
AnkH

Bright shine around SimObjects

Hi there, as I simply do not find a solution to this, I hope someone here was able to solve it: with MSFS, I get a bright, white shining edge around many if not all simobjects. Although not always, it seems to depend on the light and from where the object is illuminated. I already tried to turn off sharpen and all other post processing effects via useropt.cfg, tried the nVIDIA sharpening instead, no sharpening at all, various resolution scales and different AA modes. It stays. Is there any solution to this? Thanks for any heads up...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Nope, will try that once, thanks

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Turning bloom off does not eliminate the bright shine/glare around objects. Sadly. Neither does turning all post processing effects completely off via useropt.cfg. What else could I try?

Greetings, Chris

Can you post a screenshot of this? Are you using HDR in windows / the sim?

7 minutes ago, DylanM said:

Can you post a screenshot of this? Are you using HDR in windows / the sim?

Nope, I do not use HDR in Windows or within the sim, as my monitor is not capable of HDR. Screenshot will follow shortly...

Greetings, Chris

2 minutes ago, nosaj_armstrong said:

Are you referring to shinning  around the landing gear for example when it’s turning ? I have that as well

Yes, but also when it is not moving at all, some edges of the plane, some structures in the VC. Many of those objects have this glaring/shimmering shining around them. Annoying...

Greetings, Chris

Screenshot: simply focus on the jetway, this shining/shimmering glare around it. Or the lower fuselage. Or the stairs on the left...

screenshot57eukmm.png

Besides that, I have also totally broken reflections, for example for bridges:

screenshot53n7jlm.png

I mean, come on. As soon as I am close enough, the reflections "corrects" itself and is correct. Just from further away it looks silly as above...

Greetings, Chris

The edge halo showed up after release, I'm thinking around Update 4 or 5.  It really wrecks the look of the sim, that's for sure.  I haven't dug into how to get rid of it but I really wish I could.

• Upvote 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

Ah I see. I think that is the ambient occlusion setting - try setting it lower and see if it makes things any better (lower values seem more realistic anyway IMO).

• Like 1

It is indeed related to the ambient occlusion setting, thanks @DylanM! Now reduced it to "medium" from "ultra" and most of those edge halos are gone. Did not see any true difference so far, however, it would still be nice to have it fixed some day...

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

11 hours ago, DylanM said:

Ah I see. I think that is the ambient occlusion setting - try setting it lower and see if it makes things any better (lower values seem more realistic anyway IMO).

Yes, as Dylan says.  I put ambient occlusion to low and it looks natural.  The other settings above low look too much (too much shadow).  Plus, you might get very slightly better performance.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Upvote 3

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

4 hours ago, AnkH said:

It is indeed related to the ambient occlusion setting

Glad that was it 👍 For once we don't have to much around in a cfg or some shady shaders...!

• Like 1

Awesome, I'll have to try that next time I'm in the sim.

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals