Sign in to follow this  
rwy12

Advise choosing the right rtx 3000 gpu

1440, running a 8700k and 1080, ultra settings and it’s just fine. 

1 hour ago, sd_flyer said:

Has anyone tried to install RTX 3090 on i9-10900 with PSU 750W? 

At first I attempted to run 3090 with Ryzen 3600 powered by quality 650W PSU.  Various sites said it would be enough juice for my system.  No go.  PSU started making crackling noises as soon as the video card use ramped up eventually leading to a shut down due to overload.  My 3090 requires 3 PCI-E power plugs.  I understand most versions are happy with 2 connections, so that might also affect things.

i9-10900 needs more juice than 3600, so my suspicion is that 750W would not cut it or it will be just barely enough.

• Like 1

I have 3080 as well and very satisfied with it, and 1440 seems to be suite spot for it, along with my new dell monitor s320dgf.  Which I also recommend,  got it on sale for 350 at Dell, lot of good reviews?.

If I could afford it, yes I definitely would have purchased a 3090, and especially with all that vram set up for the next 5 years.

Wait till early next year, product should be coming in.  By the way if you like AMd their 6800xt pretty much equivalent to 3080, plus 50 bucks cheaper.

Good luck if I had the bucks go with 3090, or just wait for the 3080ti  which will have 15gb vram, which coming out in a few months.  Supposed price point will be between 3090 and 3080.

Hi

Many thanks everybody for so much help and suggestions.

I think it is clear,wait few months and see if prices drop and get 3080-3090.

My main reason for upgrade at the moment is for smoothness In msfs2020.....I think I will choose the cheapest solution.  Lower my settings. 

Qas

I am really surprised how people here could seriously suggest a 3060Ti as an upgrade option for a 1080Ti user? You are aware that the 1080Ti has 11GB of VRAM? And then you suggest to switch to a card with 8GB VRAM? Seriously?

@rwy12 I am in the same boat, the only "real" solution is to wait until mid January when the 3080Ti with 20GB will hit the market. Or switch to AMD, where you already get 16GB of VRAM on the counterpart of a 3060Ti (the RX 6800 card). 

Why I am so fixed on VRAM? Because P3Dv5 using DX12 showed us how it could end. If MS/Asobo somehow manages to include way better VRAM management, there will be no issue even with 8GB VRAM, of course. But if it is only a little bit similar to P3Dv5, you will need every inch of your 11GB VRAM on your 1080Ti and then you do not want to "upgrade" to smaller VRAM in any case. 

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

9 hours ago, AnkH said:

I am really surprised how people here could seriously suggest a 3060Ti as an upgrade option for a 1080Ti user? You are aware that the 1080Ti has 11GB of VRAM? And then you suggest to switch to a card with 8GB VRAM? Seriously?

@rwy12 I am in the same boat, the only "real" solution is to wait until mid January when the 3080Ti with 20GB will hit the market. Or switch to AMD, where you already get 16GB of VRAM on the counterpart of a 3060Ti (the RX 6800 card). 

Why I am so fixed on VRAM? Because P3Dv5 using DX12 showed us how it could end. If MS/Asobo somehow manages to include way better VRAM management, there will be no issue even with 8GB VRAM, of course. But if it is only a little bit similar to P3Dv5, you will need every inch of your 11GB VRAM on your 1080Ti and then you do not want to "upgrade" to smaller VRAM in any case. 

Yes, Exactly!!!

Chris Camp

5800x + 3080 EVGA FTW3 ultra here.  I get mostly solid 40/50 FPS @4k on high and everything set to 100.  Had a 1080ti before and was at or below 30FPS with same settings. all in all a 40-50% increase. VRAM isnt even close to being used so for those saying it could be an issue, it is not currently. DX12, we will see.  BTW I paid way too much money for this card (1100usd equiv in Europe)but ive been waiting forever to upgrade from the 1080ti so I just did it because otherwise you will just wait and wait forever for cards that are impossible to get.  CPU is very important  so If you want the best performance out of this very expensive GPU, you better get the latest ryzen or intel CPU to pair it with. cheers!

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

None of the nvidia options are compelling to me right now. Either too expensive (3090), or not enough vram (3060ti, 3070, 3080). Not that it matters because nothing is available. And then the AMD offerings are suspect due to potential driver issues, and they aren’t available either. Throw in the outrageous markups sites are charging on 2000 series cards and the obvious choice is turn down a few settings and wait until what could be mid next year. There are worse problems in life. 

Besides, i decided to upgrade my telescope. Oh wait, those are all sold out too. Lol it is what it is. No use crying about it. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

18 hours ago, RobJC said:

Besides, i decided to upgrade my telescope. Oh wait, those are all sold out too. Lol it is what it is. No use crying about it. 

Telescopes sold out too? I guess Covid is it, or just Xmas rush?

I did manage to get an EVGA 3090. So it is possible. Its a case of checking every day and grabbing one when they arrive. 

I'd advise against grabbing any make though. I almost went for a Zotac, before realising it was a version impacted by the POSCAP issue. So no, my advise is to consider the make and model carefully.

I'm not saying the POSCAP issue is a huge deal, its not unless you are overclocking your card, but for me, I'd rather have top quality capacitors in my card than cheap ones.

18 hours ago, RobJC said:

None of the nvidia options are compelling to me right now. Either too expensive (3090), or not enough vram (3060ti, 3070, 3080). Not that it matters because nothing is available. And then the AMD offerings are suspect due to potential driver issues, and they aren’t available either. Throw in the outrageous markups sites are charging on 2000 series cards and the obvious choice is turn down a few settings and wait until what could be mid next year. There are worse problems in life. 

The MSRP on these cards is not out of line, but very limited availability and very high demand has driven up the retail price, then you have the online auction site scalpers who claim to have the cards, but it will cost you two or three times the MSRP.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I've gotten a MSI 3080 Gaming x Trio last week and tried it first time in MSFS today.
Huge power!

But i am wondering about one thing:

When checking the task manager while flying i expected the 3080 to be on 100% but instead it was on like 20-40% with 75°.
No problem at all but my sim is still signaling: "GPU limited". My previous 1070 was on 100% the whole time MSFS was active while also stating "GPU limited".

Any ideas or is that normal?

Edited by CallsignDE

1 hour ago, CallsignDE said:

I've gotten a MSI 3080 Gaming x Trio last week and tried it first time in MSFS today.
Huge power!

But i am wondering about one thing:

When checking the task manager while flying i expected the 3080 to be on 100% but instead it was on like 20-40% with 75°.
No problem at all but my sim is still signaling: "GPU limited". My previous 1070 was on 100% the whole time MSFS was active while also stating "GPU limited".

Any ideas or is that normal?

If your GPU usage is low, it means your CPU is now the bottleneck. 

Is your CPU usage high?

Which CPU?

The other point of course is if the sim is behaving in a CPU dominant way, GPU usage will be lower.

If you are sure you have a powerful enough CPU, try giving the GPU more work to do, weather, settings... wsee what happens. Might make the sim behave in a more GPU weighted Manor.

Edited by martin-w

17 minutes ago, martin-w said:

If your GPU usage is low, it means your CPU is now the bottleneck. 

Is your CPU usage high?

Which CPU?

The other point of course is if the sim is behaving in a CPU dominant way, GPU usage will be lower.

Thanks for your answer!

I have an I7-10700k which is at about 40% in total.
I also thought that i am CPU limited but MSFS is saying the opposite: "GPU limited". Thats why i am wondering.

Edited by CallsignDE

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

Telescopes sold out too? I guess Covid is it, or just Xmas rush?

I did manage to get an EVGA 3090. So it is possible. Its a case of checking every day and grabbing one when they arrive. 

I'd advise against grabbing any make though. I almost went for a Zotac, before realising it was a version impacted by the POSCAP issue. So no, my advise is to consider the make and model carefully.

I'm not saying the POSCAP issue is a huge deal, its not unless you are overclocking your card, but for me, I'd rather have top quality capacitors in my card than cheap ones.

Yep. I ended up getting a few new eyepieces to tide me over, but even a lot of those are unavailable for a few months. Yeah i wouldn’t get Zotac or a 3090. Just out of my budget. Lucky you. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro