Sign in to follow this  
Otto Pylott

RXP GTN 750 Navigation Database

I am new to the RXP GTN 750 and am encountering problems with "locked" (missing) waypoints for European flight plans (U.S. plans all seem to work fine). I have searched the forums but find only vague references to a "worldwide" database which seemingly was not installed with my Garmin Trainer package. My nav database folder contains the following files -- does this look correct/complete? Thanks in advance for any help.

apt_dir.gca
bmap.bin
nav_db2.bin
nav_db2_grm.bin
nav_heli_db2.bin
nav_heli_db2_grm.bin
safetaxi.bin
terrain.odb2
terrain.tdb
terrain_heli.odb2

This is indeed complete, and the worldwide navdata is in:

nav_db2.bin

If there are missing waypoints, you should talk to Garmin... or add them as user waypoints..

LittleNavMap can export flight plans with "waypoints replaced by custom waypoints" for the GTN.

• Like 2

Bert

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

This is indeed complete, and the worldwide navdata is in: nav_db2.bin

If there are missing waypoints, you should talk to Garmin... or add them as user waypoints..

LittleNavMap can export flight plans with "waypoints replaced by custom waypoints" for the GTN.

Thanks Bert. I am aware of this work-around. But I'm not talking about a few waypoints here or there but that all of Europe seems to be missing -- the GTN does not even recognize major airport ICAO codes (I have not yet tried other regions outside of the U.S. besides Europe).

I did read an older forum post by RXP (circa 2018) which states something about having to configure the system to use "WW" (worldwide) nav data, but I have no idea what this entails, or whether it is still relevant in the latest release (which is what I have). I have also read reports that RXP provides nav data only for the U.S. But near as I can tell, the RXP website says nothing about such a restriction.

EDIT: Some progress: I re-installed the B350 and the dual GTN version recognizes major European airports and waypoints (or at least the small sample I tried so far). I had been running this plane with a single GTN and wonder if this might have caused the problem. But I will continue troubleshooting to see if I can't sort it out -- perhaps I have the in-game GTN configured improperly for a single unit implementation.

Edited by Otto Pylott

1 hour ago, Otto Pylott said:

You can choose the database in the config menu.. maybe it was set to the US database.

• Like 1

Bert

8 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

You can choose the database in the config menu.. maybe it was set to the US database.

I notice that when running in single GTN mode, it has listed as the active database AmrN-DB2 (I assume meaning "American/US"), but when in dual mode it lists WW-DB2 (worldwide). This difference would explain the discrepancy I am seeing. But in either case, there appears to be no way to change this configuration in-game. More generally, it looks like the only way to get the WW database is to run in dual GTN mode, yet which strikes me as a very strange restriction/anomaly.

I am hoping that maybe an RXP rep/expert will eventually chime in here to help sort this out, but I'm not holding my breath...

Got it sorted. There is a config file in the my AFL KA350 root folder named "RealityXP.GTN.ini" with an entry labeled "NavDbType = n" where n = 1 or 0, and where (evidently) 0 selects AmrN-DB2 and 1 selects WW-DB2. It further appears that, for some mysterious reason, the single GTN mod that I downloaded for the KA350 had this value set to 0. I changed it to 1 and now have the global/worldwide database enabled. Yet near as I can tell, none of this is (clearly) documented anywhere in the RXP documentation -- I figured it out simply by comparing the files, line by line.

I wish I had the last six hours of my life back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto Pylott said:

But in either case, there appears to be no way to change this configuration in-game.

Check the config menu in-game (shift+right click on top of popup gauge) or the rxpgtn ini file for the airplane:

; aviation db: 0: nav_db2_grm, 1: nav_db2, 2: nav_heli_db2_grmn, 3: nav_heli_db2
NavDbType = 1

Page 5 of users manual.. 😉

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 2

Bert

4 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Check the config menu in-game (shift+right click on top of popup gauge) or the rxpgtn ini file for the airplane:

; aviation db: 0: nav_db2_grm, 1: nav_db2, 2: nav_heli_db2_grmn, 3: nav_heli_db2
NavDbType = 1

Thanks again Bert -- see my latest reply just above.

1 minute ago, Otto Pylott said:

Thanks again Bert -- see my latest reply just above.

Check the config menu in-game

Page 5 and 12 of users manual.. 😉

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 2

Bert

38 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Check the config menu in-game

Page 5 and 12 of users manual.. 😉

Got it. I knew how to access the settings menu through the XP plugins tab, but didn't know about the "shift + right click" trick. More importantly, I did not recognize the entry in the settings menu for selecting the nav database -- not so obvious to a novice, or even why this would be a configurable item to begin with; i.e., why not just have this value fixed to include all worldwide nav data? I assume there is a reason, but this again is not obvious to me.

I now see that this configuration is discussed on p.11 (my version) of the RXP manual. Yet the in-game settings menu for this selection is not clearly labeled as such -- it's just an unlabeled pull-down menu that one could pretty easily overlook (as I did) if one does not antecedently know what one is looking for.

In any case, now I know, and thanks again for your assistance!

Edited by Otto Pylott
  • Like 2