Sign in to follow this  
Pastaiolo

Some of the features of the 22th December Update

2 hours ago, JSmith2112 said:

Snow for the entire planet, am I reading that right? That would be bizarre here in Cape Town where it's the height of summer and in my lifetime I've never seen any snow, at least not at sea level or in coastal areas.

They are talking about the places on the entire earth that actually have snow IRL, not that the whole globe will be covered in snow.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

7 hours ago, AnkH said:

Those asking for snow coverage or even seasons: what do you think is the reason that the release for the XBOX is again planned for summer time (in the northern hemisphere)?

Maybe because that's the date by which the port to DX12 will be complete? Somehow I doubt that the MS grey suit's decision about the XBox release date boils down to the color of foliage in the simulator... But who knows!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turpentine said:

Maybe because that's the date by which the port to DX12 will be complete? Somehow I doubt that the MS grey suit's decision about the XBox release date boils down to the color of foliage in the simulator... But who knows!

Of course it does, or why was it released just in a time where we still had summer in the northern hemisphere although most of the alpha and beta testers suggested to wait until December or even later with the release? Because the reviews would have been much worse if they would have released a full-summer sim in the middle of winter, I am pretty sure about this. There was no other reason to release the sim already in August, none. No competitor, no coming holiday, nothing. 

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 hour ago, badgenes said:

Well for whatever reason I cannot post an image.  For the naysayers please click here.

When I click the link it sends me back to this thread.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, sidfadc said:

despite all the negativity you got to take your hats off to MS/Asobo.  I don't care what anyone says this is the flight sim of the future!

Love it. Oh the irony........flight sim of the future🤣......brilliant.

It's certainly not the flight sim of the present is it?

The reality is: It looks brilliant and the idea was genius but I'd struggle to call it a full flight sim ATM. I've been simming for 30 odd years and this release is the buggiest flight sim I have ever seen......By any reasonable standards it wasn't ready for release.

Having said that, I'm getting enjoyment out of it and I'm looking forward to the future when it will be a flight sim.

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

Pretty funny and cool. I saw that commercial last week and had a chuckle with the MSFS bit. But sadly that commercial hit home with the bored dog..... my dog isn't as nice when I am playing games or sitting at the computer not giving her attention 😆

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

9 hours ago, JSmith2112 said:

Snow for the entire planet, am I reading that right? That would be bizarre here in Cape Town where it's the height of summer and in my lifetime I've never seen any snow, at least not at sea level or in coastal areas.

You did read it wrong.

It says real-time snow and a true to life ice coverage.

It won't snow unless the weather system thinks its snowing

The 'to the entire planet.' part just means it won't be limited to only certain parts of the planet (i.e. not only in areas where METAR says its snowing)

They're probably using Meteoblue's data set like the do with the rest of the weather. Meteoblue tracks snow depth and ice.

It's not perfect. I have like 2-3 inches of snow outside right now but Meteoblue is saying there's none.

Edited by Tuskin38

6 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

You did read it wrong.

It says real-time snow and a true to life ice coverage.

It won't snow unless the weather system thinks its snowing

The 'to the entire planet.' part just means it won't be limited to only certain parts of the planet (i.e. not only in areas where METAR says its snowing)

They're probably using Meteoblue's data set like the do with the rest of the weather. Meteoblue tracks snow depth and ice.

Yes But...

How are they going to do this Snow/Ice, in "Real-Time", worldwide without adding winter vegetation, winter trees and Frozen Lakes and Rivers?

Or is it going to snow and instantly freeze over summer terrain?

Chris Camp

Just now, Kilo60 said:

Yes But...

How are they going to do this Snow/Ice, in "Real-Time", worldwide without adding winter vegetation, winter trees and Frozen Lakes and Rivers?

Or is it going to snow and instantly freeze over summer terrain?

Maybe wait until the rest of the info comes out Tuesday?

Has anyone actually seen snow falling in the sim? Is it even capable of it? I've tried several times going to places where it is snowing and it is always just cloudy.

What about Greenland and Antarctica, would that look much better as well ?

I really hope they fix the crazy terrainelevation glitches in those regions sooner than later (waiting for all other regions to be upgradiented first).

42 minutes ago, rjquick said:

Has anyone actually seen snow falling in the sim? Is it even capable of it? I've tried several times going to places where it is snowing and it is always just cloudy.

My very first flight in August I set the weather to snow and took off in a c152 from a grass strip in the mountains in white-out conditions. It was great! Obviously that wasn't live weather seeing as they're just now trying to add snow to that element of the sim.

• Like 1