Sign in to follow this  
ballplayer76

Installing 7.43 indexer hangs

Hi in need of some help. After a long time away from sim I am trying to update to 7.43. Ive uninstalled previous versions and have tried numerous time and get stuck at the same spot.

Every time the indexer hangs at C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3Dv4\WebSimBrowser\egm96

any help is appreciated

Thanks

Wes

If you temporarily move the WebSimBrowser folder out of the P3D folder, then run the indexer, then move it back, does that serve as a workaround?  There should be nothing in that folder that requires indexing I believe.

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

There is something amiss with your scenery library. If you don't already have Lorby's Add-on Organizer installed, download and install it. Then run AO and see if it shows any errors. The most common error is having the same add-on installed twice. This is usually due to having identical entries in scenery.cfg and in a specific add-on.xml file. 

Lorby's AO:

https://www.lorby-si.com/downloads.html

• Like 2

I can't believe this has still not been fixed.  Since purchasing VOX ATC years ago I have spent more time searching for the cause of the indexer hanging than I have using the program in P3D.  Why make it so sensitive?  I have just spent literally two hours searching through files after installing a bunch of addons, as the indexer is hanging, also in WebSimBrowser (H:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\WebSimBrowser\CEF4FSXP3DXP.67\64\swiftshader).  As I have learned in the past, removing the actual folder or file it hangs on makes no difference, as it will just hang on a file or folder that is next in line.

Seriously, why can't the dev just add a log file, or an error message dialogue box, or SOMETHING to assist with troubleshooting.  Most the time I just give up and end up not using VOX ATC.  Guess I just have to live with the fact I blew $95!

Edited by scotth6

6 hours ago, scotth6 said:

why can't the dev just add a log file

VATC743 can compile an "err.log" file to its AppData folder if enabled in Advance Settings ....... of the Indexer's read of most scenery files etc.

This may identify the "problem".

Similarly, VATC will add to that log behaviour during a subsequent flight. 

• Like 1

for now, cheers

john martin

Thanks, but I did try enabling the log, and it came up empty when using the indexer.  I think that only logs things during the flight, and not during the indexing process.  I did end up finding my issue.  It only took three hours of searching files and editing coniguration files to use a trial and error technique.  I found several duplicates manually, but the last one, Drzewiecki Design's EPWA, I had to use trial and error to hunt it down and found it had an addon.xml file and was listed in the scenery.cfg.

All this came about becasue I had to use the "delete generated files" function of P3D, something I will NEVER do again.  It screwed up everything.  You are better off uninstalling P3D and all your addons and reinstalling rather than using "delete generated files".  I don't get it either.  I always thought that function just deleted a few files like your scenery.cfg, dll.xml, exe.xml, and P3D.cfg.  This time, it deleted EVERYTHING, including entire backup folders residing in ProgramData/LockheedMartin/P3DV4, and dozens of individual backup files in that location and appdata folder.

I still wish VOX ATC could just make it easier on users.  How many posts are there in this thread about the indexer hanging?  It is a major issue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scotth6 said:

I did try enabling the log, and it came up empty when using the indexer.

I assume you mean no log (of the indexer process)   ..... it is a newish feature which at this stage may not report / complete if there is a "hang" (I've had no hangs since the feature was added 🤔)

I'll ask support, given I have another question about what it logs during indexing.

For the moment, it should/does log during indexing ..... if it doesn't hang.

• Like 1

for now, cheers

john martin

8 hours ago, vadriver said:

I assume you mean no log (of the indexer process)   ..... it is a newish feature which at this stage may not report / complete if there is a "hang" (I've had no hangs since the feature was added 🤔)

I'll ask support, given I have another question about what it logs during indexing.

For the moment, it should/does log during indexing ..... if it doesn't hang.

Oh my goodness, you are right.  I misinterpreted your advice.  I did enable the logging feature in Advanced Settings, but was unaware of the extra err.log file in Appdata.  I thought it only produced the log file you needed to save manually.  I just found that err.log file, and surprise surprise, there are about 20 entries showing EPWA as being the culprit 🙄😄.  Oh well, you live and you learn.  Thanks again for the advice.    At least now I know for next time.  Great to see Vox has now implemented this feature.

Edited by scotth6

@tegoid

7 hours ago, scotth6 said:

Great to see Vox has now implemented this feature.

for now, cheers

john martin