Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

December 17th, 2020 - Development Update

I'm curious which hardware they used for that video and how frames were.

Basically this is MSFS in 4K which is already chewing any but top notch up hardware (especially GPU)

CPU: Ryzen 5600 no OC, MB: MSI Tomahawk B450, RAM: 32GB DDR 3600, GPU: RX6900XT, 2TB SDD, Res: WQHD

2 hours ago, Spit40 said:

My main interest was the in-headset panels and whether that creates a method for external info to be brought in, like approach plate PDFs or route notes.  Anyone know? I haven't flown more than 30 mins MSFS as I can't get on with non VR, so been waiting for this moment.

dockpanels.jpg

I'd say is possible to have modded panels from external info in VR, I saw this mod that supports VR to fetch Metar data externally https://flightsim.to/file/4500/metar-viewer , so it means once VR update is released, I'd expect to see flow of mods for in-game panels to fetch data externally that support VR.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

8 hours ago, Phantoms said:

How do you handle the controls in a flightsim VR? Do you have to feel around for everything and hope you hit the right button?

Basically, yes. Usually, I handle Yoke/Pedals/TPM/TrimWheel/Flaps/Starter etc. (on the Switch/Multi Panel) manually. I've put several options on the knows/buttons of the Yoke. 

On the other hand, I use the mouse for more advanced functions like the G1000, if required. I don't use the VR controllers at all. You get used to this after some time.  I can well imagine, more advanced solutions to emerge during the coming years. Actually, there are already a few available which are still clumsy, though.

But as I said: VR is certainly not for everyone's taste. If you find it ugly, just don't use it.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

4 hours ago, SierraDelta said:

Looks like perfect timing for me, the Reverb G2 will be with me on the 29th 🙂

Same here. Received confirmation an hour ago that it‘ll arrive on Monday. Holidays, here we come!

• Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

No mention about correction of the performance issues (stutters, micro pauses) introduced to many users (to me on my gaming laptop) after the latest update (7?). It seems it'll remain in the "ongoing improvements" department, so it means kinda forever?. Hopefully the sim update is more than just putting white textures over the terrain, buildings and trees.

To those who have never used VR before: be cautious before buying a new set. Generally speaking, the use of VR impacts sim performance very much, so you'll have to think about lowering your usual settings. In addition, and this is just my personal opinion, wearing those VR sets for more than 30 minutes is kind of a torture. I used VR when flying Aerofly FS2 and to tell the truth even if the experience was nice, none of my flights lasted for more than 20 minutes.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by edpatino
  • Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Watermasks for tropic regions PLEASE!

• Like 3

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

16 hours ago, hanhamreds said:

Is VR really that jerky - or is the video quality lacking or something?

Tried VR in a store, im not impressed with it, first its way too expensive for what it delivers, and i cant imagine sitting with that helmet on for hours. Its been around now for many years and is pretty much still useless.

23 minutes ago, OHN767 said:

Tried VR in a store, im not impressed with it, first its way too expensive for what it delivers, and i cant imagine sitting with that helmet on for hours. Its been around now for many years and is pretty much still useless.

What a load of old poppycock.

But I'm intrigued enough to ask why you consider it to be "pretty much [...] useless"?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Phantoms said:

How do you handle the controls in a flightsim VR? Do you have to feel around for everything and hope you hit the right button?

Think of a blind person and all that they can do once they know their environment. Or how people can type without looking at the keys. One last item, when you blindly preform and action with a controller you are also looking at the results in the sim, turn a knob for a heading bug and you are looking at the HSI to set it so if you turn a knob and nothing happened with the heading bug then you will know you are using the wrong knob.

Where things get hard and a downside that I see to the new Bravo throttle quad is having one selector knob to control all the knobs. Yes it can be done by remembering the order in which they are and perhaps leaving it set on a default or turning the knob all the way down and then counting up to get the one you want but its a lot easier when you have individual knobs for each action or item. 

8 hours ago, Spit40 said:

My main interest was the in-headset panels and whether that creates a method for external info to be brought in, like approach plate PDFs or route notes.  Anyone know? I haven't flown more than 30 mins MSFS as I can't get on with non VR, so been waiting for this moment.

UI Panel Charts is definitely doable. We did a POC for the CJ4 and do intend to bring charts to the right MFD once we do some performance optimization. Should also be possible to do a Navigraph charts integration to the UI panel, but I think we're also all waiting to see what charts are made available natively in the sim before committing to any particular direction. I think accessing a simbrief OFP PFD in a UI panel will also be easily doable - we've had websites up on the MFD in the CJ4 just for fun...

• Upvote 1

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

I recently got my Reverb G2 coming from the Oculus platform (Rift S, CV1). While I love the no screen door effect and am vey satisficed with the overall headset, one issue I don't like is how it handles sound. Not the speakers but the UI. I fly on PilotEdge and like to have ATC in the headset and all other sounds play on the main speakers. In order to achieve this, I have to wake the Mixed reality App/headset, make sure SteamVR is running and then go into sound settings and change back the speakers to default device and the headset to communication device as when I wake the headset using the Mixed Reality App is changes the sound all to the headset. There is a feature to disable that from happening but then it totally blocks the headset from showing so when I start and connect to PilotEdge, the selected speakers are not there so thats an issue.

I also like to jump in and out of VR since I have my Garmin Pilot App on my iPad networked to the sim and in cruise dont normally need to where the headset all the time. Actually unless I am looking for a great VFR experience where wearing the headset throughout is ideal, I have lately come to just put the headset on after my landing checks and use 3D to really get a great landing as it gives so much more depth and feel of height above ground. While jumping in and out of VR with the RiftS and a hotkey in both P3Dv4/5 and XPlane11 was never an issue, with the mixed reality going to sleep after a certain time, awaking it can cause a CTD.

So it will be interesting to see what limits a MSFS VR experience will result in.

1 hour ago, spacedyemeerkat said:

What a load of old poppycock

Why is it that someone has a different opinion/experience the name calling starts??? VR is not for everyone, I can not imagine wearing a headset for more than 20 minutes either, no matter how good the visuals are. VR users in X-Plane for example are about 4%.

There are certainly games, where it is more popular, but not for flightsim yet. The technology has its quirks, especially if you have to lower your visuals and things are not smooth.

But each to their own.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

You seem to be confusing my dismissal of an argument asserted without evidence - using the jolly term 'poppycock' - as name calling. I don't know the poster but I'm sure they're lovely. I've no need to resort to name calling, nor would I.

What I would like to know is how VR is "useless". Not baiting. I would love to know.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, edpatino said:

To those who have never used VR before: be cautious before buying a new set. Generally speaking, the use of VR impacts sim performance very much, so you'll have to think about lowering your usual settings. In addition, and this is just my personal opinion, wearing those VR sets for more than 30 minutes is kind of a torture. I used VR when flying Aerofly FS2 and to tell the truth even if the experience was nice, none of my flights lasted for more than 20 minutes.

Cheers, Ed

Thats why i am not using or even getting VR stuff - it`s just not in my mind.

Too mutch hardware isn`t that good IMO. Allso just my Opinion..

cheers 😉

Edited by pmplayer
  • Like 1

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

How do you view charts on your iPad/ second screen etc when you have the headset on? 
I want to try VR. I’m just not 100% sure yet...