Sign in to follow this  
Vegas-Rob

Using two monitors

Hi all. Could someone explain to me what can be brought to a second monitor in MSFS and how to do it?

Thanks so much. This community is so great!

Rob

P.S. How come I always click Notify me of replies but I never get any kind of notification. Would be great if I did.

There are so many options I'll let others explain how they use it to bring items from MSFS to the second monitor or to have their view stretched across two or more monitors. How I use it is really MSFS on my 2k monitor and FS-FlightControl on the second in portrait mode.

When I take a screenshot it captures both monitors an I have to crop out what I want.

829adb1363293534.png

James

There are two options that work relatively easily.

The first is simply change the game in graphics settings in game to windowed mode and stretch the window across both screens for a pseudo-widescreen monitor effect.

The second option is to alt-click on any glass screen and it pops up a window you can then move to the second screen. Note that the popup window only mirrors the contents of the glass display itself, any MFD buttons etc are not shown, you still need to click in the 3D cockpit view to operate those.

There is also software about that lets you display buttons, sliders etc on a separate tablet so in theory you could pop your G1000 onto a second screen and then operate the G1000 with knobs and buttons on an ipad/android tablet.

I have msfs on one monitor and other stuff such as the atc window, pushback helper, LNM or Neofly or Skypark for example on the other. 

I don't have two monitors (specifically: not two connected to the main machine). However, the official forum has a subforum

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/c/self-service/home-cockpit-builders/162

dedicated to Home Cockpit Builders with several threads on the topic.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I have 3 monitors, and 2 PC's, main monitor to the MSFS pc, and everthing else goes on the other pc with 2 monitors. 🙂 All are on the same network. I use 1 mouse and keyboard with the free program " Mouse without borders " works great.

Edited by Dutch1
  • Like 2

On the Win10 desktop rightclick Display Settings and it shows an image of 2 screens.

Click on your largest main screen and check the box "make this my main display".

Next, down below, set Multiple Displays to 'Extend These Displays'.

Set MSFS to windowed mode,

OK, then you when click on the 'maximise' square up in the top corner, MSFS will fill only one screen (your 'main display' screen). The second screen will be a blank desktop and mouse moves back and forth to each screen easily.

On the other screen you can have: LilNavMap. Or an internet browser. Or Windows explorer to look at files. Or notepad for notes.

When I am creating a bush flight, I have MSFS on the main screen where I jump from airport to airport using Developers Mode 'teleport' menu.

On the 2nd monitor screen I have LilNavMap to see what runway I'm being teleported to, LNM is showing me taxing around to other runways and changing directions so I learn which runway to land on at that airport in the bush trip I'm making. The whole flight plan that the bush trip will use is displayed on LilNavMap in colored lines. Thus I learn how to best approach from which direction in the bush trip. More importantly, I learn in which order I want to land at each of the ten or so airports in the Bush Trip.

Also on the second screen I have notepad open and taking text notes for each leg shown on the LNM flight plan colored lines on the map. These will be entered as waypoint text when compiling the bush trip. And I have Windows file explorer on it too.

Meanwhile back on the main monitor I have my screenshot saver (the wonderful payware Snagit) to take a picture high above the runway to put in the bush trip image that appears on the Navlog when later flying the trip.

Main monitor: MSFS and screenshot utility.

2nd monitor: LilNavMap and notepad for text info each leg and windows files explorer to save the text and images in neat filing order.

I can't imagine doing this on a one monitor system!

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I also have 3 monitors on 2 pc's but also a 10 inch tab for FlightPlanGo for charts and sectionals.

B7F9oWm.jpg

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

9 hours ago, FPStewy said:

I also have 3 monitors on 2 pc's but also a 10 inch tab for FlightPlanGo for charts and sectionals.

B7F9oWm.jpg

FB, wow what a cool app. I'm just watching a tutorial on it on youtube.will this app track your flight in MS2020?

If your graphics card is powerful enough (nVidia 2xxx or 3xxx) consider 3 monitors to see just the front panoramic view (all monitors in in one flat row, as MFS is not supporting angled displays yet - foreseen in 2021-2022). With 3 displays you will have the center one in front of you, instead of monitors bezels with 2 monitor config. Use nVidia surround (if you have nVidia GPU) to create one virtual display of the three. Preferably all 3 displays should be the same.

On 12/20/2020 at 10:11 AM, Dutch1 said:

FB, wow what a cool app. I'm just watching a tutorial on it on youtube.will this app track your flight in MS2020?

They terminated the desktop but works like a charm on android Tab, it will track your flight and I haven't had any problems, the beauty of this is that it has NA charts. It's a tad tricky to get used to but it definitely works.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

just about to get a 2nd monitor for use with MSFS - just wondering how I will be able to use it.....wanting to use it not to create a wrap around cockpit but mainly for pop up instruments, maps (like little nav map - running outside MSFS) and also maybe external views - main monitor will be used for the cockpit........just wondering if this is possible and the best way to set it up? (presume I need to select the 2nd monitor as the non primary from my desktop then I select window(not full screen) in sim?) - forgot to mention will be running one monitor via HDMI the other via display port

Edited by mac44

On 12/18/2020 at 9:06 AM, badger2000 said:

I have msfs on one monitor and other stuff such as the atc window, pushback helper, LNM or Neofly or Skypark for example on the other. 

Ignore this!  I just replied to my own message 🙄

Edited by badger2000

4 hours ago, mac44 said:

just about to get a 2nd monitor for use with MSFS - just wondering how I will be able to use it.....wanting to use it not to create a wrap around cockpit but mainly for pop up instruments, maps (like little nav map - running outside MSFS) and also maybe external views - main monitor will be used for the cockpit........just wondering if this is possible and the best way to set it up? (presume I need to select the 2nd monitor as the non primary from my desktop then I select window(not full screen) in sim?) - forgot to mention will be running one monitor via HDMI the other via display port

I use my main 32” monitor for msfs (hdmi) and my second monitor (22” on a port) for charts, internet browser, littlenavmap, navigraph, all my secondary applications (simshaker, fsrealistic etc), both monitors are connected to one computer on a 1060 6gb card. I see no performance loss on msfs. The only thing I don’t do that you mention is use the second monitor for msfs outside views, my second monitor is strictly for programs that run outside the sim so maybe that’s why I have no performance loss. See one drive link for my setup. I post the picture directly to the post but dont know how.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApuK3ZfzC0qyhR38Q9FLzHPhkfSI?e=lTgo4j

Edited by flyinpilot212121

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel.