Sign in to follow this  
Roman Design

No VR controller support at all, just the mouse! Ouch!

Please, Asobo, if you are reading this, you have to realize that your userbase expects MSFS VR to be at least on par with the other 2 leading sims that had VR available for 2 years. What has made X-Plane VR great is the fact that you can interact with all buttons, throttle lever, flight computer, GPS, fuel mix levers and everything with your hand! You can fill rotating encoders clicking, you can feel buttons pressing. This is what VR immersion is! HAving just the mouse is very bad. I really hope Asobo can implement controllers very soon. This simulator is beyond anything, graphically speaking, but VR without controllers is stone age! Make mouse an option if some people prefer this, but operating mouse is a disaster as far as I'm concerned.

I've been waiting so long for VR, invested in RTX 3080 and Reverb G2 and have them ready. And all for this? No controllers? What kind of VR is that?  It's a VR experience so crippled that I'm not sure I could even use it and enjoy it. And most VR users will see it as such. The realism is gone, mouse is a crutch! Think of this: you have your left hand on a yoke, right on a throttle - and then you need to rotate or click something - how will you find your mouse when you can't see it? You don't know where you left it, you will have to remove VR or search blindly with your hand before you do anything. And you will have to do it each time, because mouse position is not fixed. Terrible. In X-Plane I just keep controller in my right hand and when I need to rotate a dial for example - I just reach, grab and rotate (feeling the clicking vibration feedback), then I use grab throttle and move it, or do anything I want. I can even grab the yoke with right hand. And if I want to free the right hand - I can put controller on my lap, where it's at the same spot every time, so I don't need to search for it. But mostly I have it in my right hand at all times. This is what makec a total cabin immersion. Impossible with the mouse.

I have to say I am extremely disappointed. I sincerely hope this will be corrected in the next update.

Just look at my video, watch through the startup procedure etc. This is what VR is! MSFS has to be better, not worse, than competition… I was hoping for built-in voice ATC interaction, voice-activated checklists (like I created for X-Plane, see video) and other VR breakthroughs, not the actual mouse that was invented in the 60-s!

Edited by Roman Design
  • Like 1

CYYJ  Victoria International Airport [BC Canada CYOW  Ottawa International Airport [Ontario Canada]   
 CYOO  Oshawa Executive Airport [Ontario Canada CYKZ  Toronto Buttonville Municipal Airport [Ontario Canada]
 CNC3  Brampton-Caledon Airport [Ontario Canada
Available now at FlightSimulation.RomanDesign.ca +4 Free Scenery Packs
My Hard Sci-Fi novels and audiobooks: RomanLando.com

Don’t just stop at controller tracking Asobo push the envelope further with full hand tracking! 

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

2 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

Don’t just stop at controller tracking Asobo push the envelope further with full hand tracking! 

Absolutely! This may be a limitation of WMR though, not sure.

CYYJ  Victoria International Airport [BC Canada CYOW  Ottawa International Airport [Ontario Canada]   
 CYOO  Oshawa Executive Airport [Ontario Canada CYKZ  Toronto Buttonville Municipal Airport [Ontario Canada]

25 minutes ago, Roman Design said:

Absolutely! This may be a limitation of WMR though, not sure.

I hate that I'm just now discovering your awesome VR videos until now! I see you are also a fellow sailor who loves boats!

I try and support all of our VR Aviators!

Liked and Subbed!

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

The X-plane graphics now looks really...primitive, but the VR control looks amazing.

Surprisingly the FSX graphics looks not primitive at all, almost MSFS quality except for the light. And I understand the Leap Motion support along with the VR plugin was added around 2017 by a smart guy named Roland all by himself. 

i preffer mouse while using a real yoke a real throttle ect.

picking up a VR controller and aiming for a button or typing number combinations just takes to long.

In a VR cockpit with real hardware around your most important buttons are allready assigned to lets say the yoke, using your real fingers to operate all the buttons blind is easy.

Thats just my own experience.

Edited by Nedo68
typo
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

looked great to me hate vr controllers for sim

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

Love the VR Controllers. I Flyer exclusively with the VR controllers ...

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

I'll add my vote for the controller support as well.  I used them in xplane and it really does up the immersion factor.

In the meantime, I am still happy to make do with my yoke and throttle and a mouse.  Anything to be able to view the world through a VR headset again.

In the end though I think it would be wise for Asobo to put controller support into the pipeline for a future release to give people the option.  Given their enthusiasm for VR, I wouldnt be surprised if this is something they already have in mind.  Implementation of the UI to do so is a bit time consuming so Im not surprised it isnt part of the initial release (it wasnt on X-Plane's first VR release either).

But, PLEASE, make plans for it down the road! ... its so worth it!  I flew helicopters in Xplane using the hand controllers and it makes a lot of difference when you reach your left hand down by your side to grab the collective rather than a throttle controller on your desk.

Patches to fix things VR areas and are new VR features will likely come in the future, this is just the first release remember so controller support may well be on their plans for a future patch. 

I also didn't notice a Head Pointer, that'd be better than a mouse for me personally so i hope they add that one day.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

I have been using VR in X-Plane for 3 years and starting streaming at the beginning of this year on Twitch.

I currently have a Valve Index and a HP Reverb G2 that I use my Index controllers with. I fly with a Fulcrum One yoke and a MFG Crosswinds pedals and always have my Index controllers an my hands so using a mouse would be very different to me.

I have been flying MSFS a little using Track IR but it is just not the same as VR. I also tried the poor mans VR but did not like that at all. Will wait for the real thing and hope we do not have to wait to long to get touch controller support.

From my 3 years of VR experience I know what I think VR controller interaction should look like and will be interesting how MSFS stacks up.

VR Flight Simulator Dual Boot Machine
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS 64 Bit Windows 11 Pro X-Plane 11.55r2 & 12.05b1 - LIAN LI LANCOOL III MESH PERFORMANCE BLACK Case - ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming WiFi 6E LGA 1700 - Intel Core i9-13900K @ 5.0 GHz - CORSAIR iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT - 64G DDR5 6400 Ram -ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC - Driver Version 546.01 - Dell U3415W  34" Curve 
Fulcrum One Yoke    MFG Crosswind Pedals   Bigscreen Beyond with Valve Index controllers on Windows  and trying on Linux   Vive Pro 2 with Index controllers on Windows    Pimax 8KX with Index controllers on Windows         Valve Index kit on Windows and Linux

i am not against VR controllers, when walking around or inside planes this is the time for Controllers.

When flying only something like leap motion would make sense, because you have to move your full arm & hand to touch the button like in reality.

I used Leap Motion a few years ago glued to my old HTC Vive, i really thought this is it.

Unfortunately, this has not evolved, probably the technology is not yet so far.

Edited by Nedo68

Hand tracking would be great, but controllers are better than a mouse. I have right controller strapped ro my right hand, and I don't have to actively hold it. So I only grab levers it pull switches or rotate dials or operate throttle. I can also help on the yoke, although this is a bit strange to hndle, as both controller and yoke are too thick together, but it works for a bit if I need it. Other times i can relax my hand and it works pretty well in XPlane, very immersive. I can also type ot handwrite down basic ATC instructions to my notepdad (try that with a mouse LOL), operate charts including zooming etc. and it all works OK. Not ideal, but very immersive and still so much better than a mouse. Nothing copares to reaching and grabbing the gear lever and pulling it up, feeling it lock.

I’ve been flying VR exclusively since the DK2 days.

I’m not much of a fan of controllers, and certainly don’t think they’re optimal as the primary flight controls.

I most commonly fly P3D with hotas, voice attack and add the mouse when i need it. Also fly dcs, il-2, fs2 and xp11 in vr.

controllers are a nice option to have, but are not mission-critical fot VR flying.

• Like 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

6 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

I’ve been flying VR exclusively since the DK2 days.

I’m not much of a fan of controllers, and certainly don’t think they’re optimal as the primary flight controls.

I most commonly fly P3D with hotas, voice attack and add the mouse when i need it. Also fly dcs, il-2, fs2 and xp11 in vr.

controllers are a nice option to have, but are not mission-critical fot VR flying.

This is exactly how I see it. Controllers are also not precisely enough because your hands are "free" and not "resting" or getting "some guided response" like having them on a flightstick or yoke. For me I fly never with controllers. Controllers are a nice gimmick but that´s it.

I do really look forward to the VR release of MSFS. If it is good enough, it could be that I am willing to take the "high level airliners" (high level=not ready yet and very low depth systems) to have the stunning visuals compared to P3D. P3D is getting better and better, but VR is not fluid enough yet.....

Marcus

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png