Sign in to follow this  
Guest Adverse Yawn

1 instrument

Guest CRJ700FO

>If you are flying say a 737-700 and everything instument in>the panel fails and you had the chance for only one instrument>to work, which would it bemy cellphone so i can call my lawyer and sue boeing (provided i survive).

Guest RiddlePilot

Are we VMC or IMC? VMC, give me my airspeed indicator. IMC, give me my attitude indicator, I'll get my speed readout from the controller.

Guest jboweruk

Don't care either way, I can usually judge my speed near enough so I'll take the AI every time.

Guest Staggerwing

Just keep that radio working so you can find out all that missing info :-)If I have to pick one.. In heavy metal, I guess I'd take the airspeed indicator.

Guest Adverse Yawn

I did say the ASI, but just edited to say the AI (Attitude Indicator). After a little reflection you could just the approach speed because the stick shaker operates as 5% + Vs so you should be able to avoid the stall. The Q-feel system will load the controlls at a high TAS. The AI will also give you airspeed clues. There is no way you could remain alive in IMC without an AI though. Not a chance IMO. Just hope that without the altimeter, that you can drop out of IMC before you hit the ground!!

Guest jboweruk

Under IFR conditions with only 1 instrument you'd be dead if you tried to land, end of. It would not matter which instrument you had working, best bet is to get that nose up, get up, and go somewhere with some visibility and no mountains nearby.

Guest Adverse Yawn

Probably, but if you were an incredibly resiliant and positive individual with average skill I think there would still be hope.

>Under IFR conditions with only 1 instrument you'd be dead if>you tried to land, end of. It would not matter which>instrument you had working, best bet is to get that nose up,>get up, and go somewhere with some visibility and no mountains>nearby.Testing is already being done with synthetic vision based on terrain data, such as we have with MSFS meshes, that will allow a pilot to fly the complete instrument approach with no forward view, no charts, and with mountains nearby. Give it a few years, and this might even be available for hand-held GPS units. When it is, that will be my "one" instrument!L.Adamson

Guest Adverse Yawn

You and your gadgets. I bet you will be one of the first to get cyborg implants. I can see it now, Garmin GNX 5300 integrel GPS and Mode S eyeball or MkII eyeball as it will come to be known :D

You mean kinda like this?Already using it in my plane with a tablet pc-the slickest package I have ever seen-checklists,all approach plates,vfr/ifr/wac charts precalibrated, xm weather, and vector moving map along with this hits display that can overlaythe 3d display with a sectional ,taws on a sectional, and even sat. data.Pretty amazing!http://www.flightprep.com/rootpage.php?page=CCPro3H768http://www.flightprep.com/rootpage.php?page=HomeEFBSWhttp://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Guest Adverse Yawn

As it appears to be a self contained unit, where does it get its altitude data from? I wouldn't like the idea of GPS altitude, that would make the TAWS/terrain aspects worthless IMO.

Yes-gps derived-there have been lots of debates on this but there is sentiment that a good gps with a +-100 (actually my experience has been +- 50) altitude that is derived from space can actually in many cases be more accurate than a pressure set altimeter-not that anyone in their right mind would rely on it.Purely for backup purposes-but what a backup. Not to mention saves lots of money on charts!I had an emergency once where my static system got clogged up and both the altimeter and vsi were jumping erratically +- 1500 ft. rapidly in each direction. I was in imc only about 2000 ft. above the smokies-I turned to my garmin 195 at the time-used the altitude it was showing and asked atc to inform me if I ever got +- 100 ft. off my transponder sent altitude. They never had to call me once and I flew for 45 minutes this way into vfr conditions-so I certainly don't feel GPS altitude is worthless!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg