Sign in to follow this  
CaptBillyBob

Redwing Sim Kai Tak Aiport for MSFS

Seriously though, can FlyTampa really improve on ali501's freeware Kai Tak by much?  ali501's Kai Tak is already, very, very good. ali501's Kai Tak needs a little polishing but I think it's comparable to some payware airports already.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

The freeware version is missing like 80% of the stuff that makes Kai Tak distinctive. It needs more than a little polishing.

Payware version looks far more like Kai Tak and if it wasnt for the price id buy it even though im not buying any msfs stuff.

The freeware version is a very poor and missing a pile of stuff to make Kai Tak look like the real Kai Tak.

Just because something is free doesnt make it "good".

Make no mistake there is amazing freeware out there but i cant say the Kai Tak for MSFS is one of them.

I mean it has a ocean liner moored to the runway????

MSFS has a massive issue with absolute rubbish payware and poor quality freeware flooding the boards and if people are saying this is "good" they need to reassess.

MrX in xplane does payware quality freeware, this stuff for MSFS is not even xplane gateway quality..

• Like 1

Darren Howie

The redwing is truly beautiful. I have the airport packed with planes but nothing moving or taking off.. I have ali501 and superstud's  vhhx and they are good but quality is better on redwing if i can get the planes to move...lol.....are there static aircraft..if so is there a way to remove them...The Air France Concorde is nice but taking up valuable space.

Thanks for any tips....

Bob M

On 12/23/2020 at 2:43 PM, DEHowie said:

The freeware version is missing like 80% of the stuff that makes Kai Tak distinctive. It needs more than a little polishing.

Payware version looks far more like Kai Tak and if it wasnt for the price id buy it even though im not buying any msfs stuff.

The freeware version is a very poor and missing a pile of stuff to make Kai Tak look like the real Kai Tak.

Just because something is free doesnt make it "good".

Make no mistake there is amazing freeware out there but i cant say the Kai Tak for MSFS is one of them.

I mean it has a ocean liner moored to the runway????

MSFS has a massive issue with absolute rubbish payware and poor quality freeware flooding the boards and if people are saying this is "good" they need to reassess.

MrX in xplane does payware quality freeware, this stuff for MSFS is not even xplane gateway quality..

The freeware version of Kai Tak doesn’t have a cruise ship next to the runway.  It’s the Sam Scene 3D scenery that adds the cruise ship next to the runway because Kai Tak is currently a cruise ship terminal in real life.

The latest version of the freeware Kai Tak, version 1.2, fixes this, and removes the Sam Scene 3D cruise ship.

If this Redwing scenery also conflicts with Sam Scene 3D, then the cruise ship will also be visible if you install Redwing + Sam Scene 3D.

Hi.  One question I have is whether there are non-airport passenger cars that are running through Kai Tak airport in this Redwing payware scenery.  The only problem with the freeware Kai Tak now is that it has non-airport  cars running through the airport.

Some scenery developers have said this is a problem with the MSFS SDK and that the SDK won’t allow the scenery developer to remove the non-airport passenger cars.  Did Redwing resolve this problem?

I had to ground ground vehicles or traffic off....the cars look like mice running across the scenery.. I bought the redwing and it is truly beautiful but all the parking spots taken up and no airline traffic.. Started ali501 and the planes cleared out for some and traffic began moving.  all I know..

BobM>

Bob M

On 12/23/2020 at 12:43 AM, DEHowie said:

There are plenty of good freeware airports in MSFS, you just have to know which authors...

https://flightsim.to/file/3361/saint-moritz-samedan-airport-lszs-v1-0

https://flightsim.to/discover?s=sergio&sort=1&category=0&country=0&tags=0&author=0

https://flightsim.to/file/624/oslo-airport-2020-engm

I will agree there are several on the site with questionable texturing, but that has always been the case with free mods, just have to take the good with the bad.

Gatwick is also pretty good, though I think it's a bit overrated texture wise, as some of the other authors have more detailed textures.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

We've now approached the part of MSFS where simmarket is flooded with every fly by night developer dumping out whatever cash grab then can. Good luck getting support for any of these popup vendors in the future.. You can usually tell by the "who?" developer name when you see it, the generic thumbnail, over promising features..

Then 

VHHX KAITAK 1995 will unactive VHHH during it's use.

Due to bugs and restrictions in MSFS SDK. Please desactive all road traffic.

Flying orbs ( treshold runway 31) are also a bug that Microsoft is working on.

Translated "This product is broken because we didn't care or don't know how to conform to the current state of the SDK"

"Unactive"

"Desactive"

"Treshold"

If you can't properly spell, use proper grammar to the audience you want to plop down U.S. $23 for an airport you didn't care to or have the knowledge to design around the current specs of the SDK... Please...  Stop submitting this shovelware to the markets.. Simmarket could also do a much better job at vetting the shovelware they allow. But that would probably cut into their bottom dollar and we wouldn't want that would we?🙄

Edited by styckx
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

The other problem is, when I try this Airport, I try it once, maybe twice. Here is the challange the goal and it´s no matter if the buildings are the right color or the right shape, if the windows clear or black. If People waving on the balcony or not.

So I grab the freeware and got my fun.

My 2 cents to this.

Edited by sal9000

Stephan from Germany

My System

On 1/1/2021 at 3:25 PM, abrams_tank said:

The freeware version of Kai Tak doesn’t have a cruise ship next to the runway.  It’s the Sam Scene 3D scenery that adds the cruise ship next to the runway because Kai Tak is currently a cruise ship terminal in real life.

The latest version of the freeware Kai Tak, version 1.2, fixes this, and removes the Sam Scene 3D cruise ship.

If this Redwing scenery also conflicts with Sam Scene 3D, then the cruise ship will also be visible if you install Redwing + Sam Scene 3D.

Thank you for correcting the record on this, as it saves me the trouble.

I will add that I questioned Samscene about this, and they have a free exclusion that will remove the cruise-ship and terminal from their scenery, for those who would like to have Kai tak active via other mods. 

That exclusion can be found here: https://samscene.com/products/hong-kong-city-times

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Just saw it on the MSFS store, but nothing about road traffic density to 0 or flying orbs, why?

On 1/30/2021 at 6:49 PM, bendead said:

Just saw it on the MSFS store, but nothing about road traffic density to 0 or flying orbs, why?

Me too yesterday but if I hadn’t read these opinions here I wouldn’t buy it anyway based on these 3-4 screenshots which not even show the checkerboard and its approach. Looks to me like Redwing only features some terminal buildings and that’s it

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

The checkerboard shows at pictures 3 and 8 at simmarket. I haven't bought the scenery, and I will not buy it, because I don't care about defunct airports, so I don't know if the developer coded the approach. You can ask him (or them) about that.