Sign in to follow this  
Sabinede

A game or a simulation?

2 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Do you currently own a console?

No. Simming all I do.

Definitely not a simulation, until such time as the developers see fit to fix the ground handling issues which see prop-driven planes snaking all over the runway on take-off and landing, thereby destroying the immersion factor; in my book, no amount of fancy schmancy scenery etc compensates for the absence of believable flight dynamics .... relevant link here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/600024-bonanza-g36-ground-handling/?tab=comments#comment-4530172

I have three A2A aircraft. They seem to have the propeller torque effect right. In fact, after flying those I don't really care to fly other aircraft.

Since I have doubts a company could have recreated the entire world inside a little box that runs on my little PC downloading from a little cable thousand and thousands of miles away.

My conclusion is that I'm a monkey with a neural link implant that is making me think I'm a human playing a flight sim, but really the implant is just projecting it all into my mind. Unfortunately, I will eventually wake up and realize I am a monkey and not a human, oh well such is life (always disappointments). You know what that means though, it means you all are also monkeys that will eventually wake up from this induced dream state.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I’m not sure why the flight sim community gets so het up about whether something is a sim or a game, or why that matters as long as you’re enjoying yourself, but I think this is as much a ‘sim’ as most driving sims in terms of the breadth and depth of things it simulates. It may not be as advanced as some of the competitors, but the overall package is much better imho - especially in terms of immersion. 

I have both the Xbox and pc versions and use them for different things. I use the Xbox version to chill out, start airborne and just explore the scenery in a place I’ve never been and I’m never likely to go to - the visual simulation is incredibly good and is the only flight software I would use for this purpose. The PC version I would use if I wanted to fly a complex airliner or wanted to be more focussed on the technical aspects of flight. I have to say that I probably use the Xbox version more at the moment, but that’s partly because I don’t have the time to spend hours playing with the PC. 

Edited by Superdelphinus
  • Like 2

Wether its a "game" or "hardcore sim" depends on the user.

One user could follow real world airline SOPs and learn all the A320NEO system. They begin by studying departure, enroute and destination weather.  They then do a hyper-real flight using the FMC, SID, airways, STARs, following RW procedures to the letter while using VATsim etc. 

Then theres me who takes that same A320NEO, starts the flight on the runway engines running, firewalls the throttles, lands it on dirt strips and flies it under bridges. Both of us using the same title. 

Endless debate...

In my opinion a simulator is capable of simulating the real thing = can make you able to fly the real aircraft.

Airline simulators + instructor + thousands of hours of study = SIMULATOR

Computer videogame with keyboard, mouse, monitor, IKEA chair and (when you're lucky) Honeycomb/Thrustmaster control system = GAME.

itlooksandfe.jpg

• Like 3

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

“Gamulation”

Topic is Now Closed!

Chris Camp

5 hours ago, Superdelphinus said:

I’m not sure why the flight sim community gets so het up about whether something is a sim or a game

Ego, plain and simple.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

The age old question, famous for derailing threads and bringing out the trolls.. this software is whatever the user makes of it.. same with every other “sim”. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 5/7/2021 at 10:23 AM, AKStirling said:

Definitely not a simulation, until such time as the developers see fit to fix the ground handling issues which see prop-driven planes snaking all over the runway on take-off and landing, thereby destroying the immersion factor; in my book, no amount of fancy schmancy scenery etc compensates for the absence of believable flight dynamics .... relevant link here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/600024-bonanza-g36-ground-handling/?tab=comments#comment-4530172

Try learning how to adjust your controls.  I fly only prop driven aircraft in MSFS and have no problems with "snaking" all over the runway.. It's not the sim, it's the PIC.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

If you want it to be a game then it's a game for you.
If you want it to be as simulator then it's a simulator for you.

like most things, almost totally subjective.

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

Just now, GaryK said:

If you want it to be a game then it's a game for you.
If you want it to be as simulator then it's a simulator for you.

like most things opinion related, almost totally subjective.

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

Since we're ALL in the Matrix®  ....even if MSFS could be verifiably considered a "simulation"....wouldn't it actually be a "Simulation within a Simulation?"  (SwaS) for short. 🙂 

Personally, I'm still waiting for the day I can call "Tank" and have him load my brain with the memory skills to fly a 747. 😁  Then again, maybe he already has since I can safely fly the PMDG 747 in P3D from point A to point B.🤣

For those not catching the drift of my post...never mind (its just the Matrix adjusting the code to wipe your mind of the idea there is actually a Matrix...if you see a black cat walk by then seem to see the exact thing again...it "may" not actually be de ja vu!). 🙂 

Edited by Steve Dra
grammar

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

On 5/7/2021 at 10:50 AM, Alpine Scenery said:

Since I have doubts a company could have recreated the entire world inside a little box that runs on my little PC downloading from a little cable thousand and thousands of miles away.

My conclusion is that I'm a monkey with a neural link implant that is making me think I'm a human playing a flight sim, but really the implant is just projecting it all into my mind. Unfortunately, I will eventually wake up and realize I am a monkey and not a human, oh well such is life (always disappointments). You know what that means though, it means you all are also monkeys that will eventually wake up from this induced dream state.