Sign in to follow this  
JeffChrisope

LM's intentions re: VRAM management

5 hours ago, glider1 said:

P3D shift-z reports 5.9/10GB which is interesting...

Stays on that VRAM entire flight (out and back)

I have hit 6-7 /10GB in flight on landing at heavy scenery areas but never run out of VRAM or CTD due to it, i run in 4K 4 MSAA do not use SSAA .

PS interestingly some users had this problem in MSFS and it`s not DX12 yet, that`s why they are buying 3090 GPU`s and some are hoping the 3080ti 20GB will come soon. 

Edited by G-RFRY
  • Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

2 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

I have hit 6-7 /10GB in flight on landing at heavy scenery areas but never run out of VRAM or CTD due to it, i run in 4K 4 MSAA do not use SSAA .

PS interestingly some users had this problem in MSFS and it`s not DX12 yet, that`s why they are buying 3090 GPU`s and some are hoping the 3080ti 20GB will come soon. 

Wasn't the 3080ti announced as cancelled ?

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

I would have thought that the 3090 is effectively a 3080Ti.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

3 hours ago, Shomron said:

Wasn't the 3080ti announced as cancelled ?

No. There were a lot of rumours that it was cancelled, but yet more rumours suggest there will be a 20 GB VRAM 3080Ti next year.

https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/news/nvidia-rtx-3080-ti-reportedly-delayed-thanks-to-amds-unimpressive-showing

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I would have thought that the 3090 is effectively a 3080Ti.

4GB less VRAM and 156 GB/s less bandwidth than a 3090, but supposedly $500 cheaper for near as word not allowed the same performance.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-3080-ti.c3735

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I predict people will be complaining on here in June that they still can't get a non-scalped 3080 ti.  

• Like 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

7 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

MSFS users aren't CTDing in the same way P3D users are because they're hitting the max VRAM. 

17 hours ago, glider1 said:

Thanks and your cautious approach is good have a good holiday. But 8GB out of 8GB is valid with dynamic VRAM turned on and the sim loaded isn't it?

If it is bad practice then my original question is still open - how much headroom is enough?

Well just to give you an idea - if I load the F22 in the default scenario, with OrbX Global addons installed, I'm at ~2.9GB VRAM used out of 7.1 available. So yeah, your 8GB sounds insane to me 🙂 

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

37 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

When/if MSFS moves to DX12, they will ... I bet Asobo lock down the LOD, it’s already smaller than P3D and using more VRAM.

Cheers, Rob

O yes indeed. I am already now getting 12+ vram with ease in MSFS. Sometimes even 15+

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

3080ti support added to AIDA64 for next year release date unknow at the moment.

ttps://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/aida64-support-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-rtx-3060-rtx-3050-ampere-gpus

Raymond Fry.

2 hours ago, Chapstick said:

MSFS users aren't CTDing in the same way P3D users are because they're hitting the max VRAM. 

Not now Asobo patched it after release. most users GPU`s are maxed out already.

Raymond Fry.

5 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

When/if MSFS moves to DX12, they will ... I bet Asobo lock down the LOD, it’s already smaller than P3D and using more VRAM.

Cheers, Rob

Interesting forecast, I guess we will see.  I would hope a close partnership with the company that actually owns the graphics platform would hopefully encourage them to actually follow the platform guidance and best practices.  Again, as has been pointed out before, plenty of DX12 titles work just fine without all of this pain and fuss. 

4 hours ago, JeffChrisope said:

Interesting forecast, I guess we will see.  I would hope a close partnership with the company that actually owns the graphics platform would hopefully encourage them to actually follow the platform guidance and best practices.  Again, as has been pointed out before, plenty of DX12 titles work just fine without all of this pain and fuss. 

When MSFS moves to DX-12 I am guessing that Popcorn and beer sales will set a new all time high in the Prepar3d community. That will be something to behold I am thinking.😵

• Like 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

4 hours ago, JeffChrisope said:

OH they will after all that`s the company that pushes out OS updates that breaks things so we are in safe hands 😄.

PS. MS had to patch this months update already found causing a problem for some users.

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

2 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

OH they will after all that`s the company that pushes out OS updates that breaks things so we are in safe hands 😄.

PS. MS had to patch this months update already found causing a problem for some users.

LM is a company that pushes out updates that breaks things. So we are in safe hands.

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

6 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

LM is a company that pushes out updates that breaks things. So we are in safe hands.

Uh, no. LM's updates usually don't break things. They just don't fix things either.

• Upvote 2