Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Feel Good Movies...

I think Casablanca had the largest number of memorable lines.

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

On 12/25/2020 at 6:07 PM, birdguy said:

I don't have Netflix.  I don't have a smart TV so I can't stream or get anything but what my cable company serves me. 

You don’t need a smart tv anymore. You can just buy an Amazon firestick or other versions of it, connect it to your WiFi and your ready to stream. 

I don’t even have landline cable tv anymore since the prices for basic got out of control. I subscribe to YouTube TV via the Firebox plugged into my tv and get plenty of content and for a cheap price vs cable. Plus I get Netflix for free since I’m a Tmobil customer.

I don’t watch much regular tv programming anymore in the major US carriers. Mainly just some news and sports. Most of my viewing is foreign tv shows and movies from Amazon and Netflix.

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On 12/22/2020 at 5:00 AM, birdguy said:

I'm an old man.  Like many old men I dwell on the past.  Sometimes the not so distant past.

I am a big fan of Turner Classic Movies.  Movies made during the depression of the thirties and the great war of the 40s.  Feel good movies that made people forget their trouble and the problems of the day.   I watch them in the evening so in these troubled times of pandemics and turbulent politics I can go to bed feeling good.

No special effects.  No gratuitous violence.  No smut.  Just good people doing nice things and stories with happy endings.  Sure there are some gangster movies but they all end with the bad guys getting their just dues.   

Of course I have some contemporary favorites like Law and Order where the bad guys sometimes win and reflects modern time or where I can leave the earth for an hour with Captain Picard and crew.

But those oldies are my bedtime lullabies.

Noel

Hey Noel, try a River Runs Through It, one of my all time faves. Sad in parts, but a beautifully told story.

• Like 2

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

3 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Hey Noel, try a River Runs Through It, one of my all time faves. Sad in parts, but a beautifully told story.

Having been an avid fly fisherman most of my life of course I read a River Runs Through it and I have seen the movie several times.  I have the book and read it about once a year.

It's a beautiful story about two brothers who take different paths in their lives, but they are connected through the beauty of fly fishing.  

I tell people who I have tried, but failed, to introduce to fly fishing that it is an art form.  There is a beauty in it. When fly fishing I almost always released any fish I caught.  It was a contest between the fish and I.  I tied my own flies was that was part of the art also.

BTW there is a free audio book narrated by the author, Norman Maclean.

https://www.audible.com/ep/title?gclid=099a3ee54f731329b70a61089288f030&asin=B005XP2AF0&ds_rl=1262685&ds_rl=1263561&source_code=MSNGBWS0805169030&device=d&msclkid=099a3ee54f731329b70a61089288f030&gclsrc=3p.ds

Another fly fisherman/writer was Robert Traver who wrote Trout Madness.  He also wrote Anatomy of a Murder which was made into a movie.  Robert Traver was the pen name of John Voelker who was a Michigan Supreme Court judge as well as an avid fly fisherman.

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

25 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Having been an avid fly fisherman most of my life of course I read a River Runs Through it and I have seen the movie several times.  I have the book and read it about once a year.

It's a beautiful story about two brothers who take different paths in their lives, but they are connected through the beauty of fly fishing.  

I tell people who I have tried, but failed, to introduce to fly fishing that it is an art form.  There is a beauty in it. When fly fishing I almost always released any fish I caught.  It was a contest between the fish and I.  I tied my own flies was that was part of the art also.

BTW there is a free audio book narrated by the author, Norman Maclean.

https://www.audible.com/ep/title?gclid=099a3ee54f731329b70a61089288f030&asin=B005XP2AF0&ds_rl=1262685&ds_rl=1263561&source_code=MSNGBWS0805169030&device=d&msclkid=099a3ee54f731329b70a61089288f030&gclsrc=3p.ds

Another fly fisherman/writer was Robert Traver who wrote Trout Madness.  He also wrote Anatomy of a Murder which was made into a movie.  Robert Traver was the pen name of John Voelker who was a Michigan Supreme Court judge as well as an avid fly fisherman.

Noel

Ah, so pleased we share the same apprciation of such  a lovely film and story Noel. You are right, fly fishing is very much an art form.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

One of your countrymen, Howard, wrote what is recognized the first book on fly fishing and angling way back in the 1600s.  It's one of classical English Literature books.  The Compleat Angler.  There are Walton Leagues and clubs all over the world.  In high school when everyone in the class was reading Chaucer or Shakespeare I was reading Walton.

Noel

• Like 1

I gave up on fishing of any sort when I was but eight years old. My mom, dad, and I were on vacation and dad decided to stop somewhere in Colorado at a fish hatchery where folks could stop and fish for a fee.

After a fruitless hour of "fishing" and not having even had a single bite, and having seen my dad and all of the others there that day having fish apparently take the bait easily, I just quit and have never fished again.

Bah! Humbug... :tongue:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

My brother was the same way.

When I lived in Colorado I belonged to the American Sportsman's Cub.  They had leased water on ranches for members and their guests only.

I took Leon to one of the guest ranches and hoped he would catch some fish because he never had luck.

He was fishing on one side of the stream and I was fishing on the other.  It was quite a large stream but wadeable.

I did everything I could to get him to catch a fish.  Even baited his hook for him although I was fly fishing.  When the bait didn't work for him we switched rods and I fished with bait while he fished with flies.  Still I caught fish and he never did.

It was that way when we were kids and fished for shiners off the Muni Pier in San Francisco.  He never got a bite while I caught about a dozen fish to take home.

I don't know what it is Fr. Bill.  Some people just can't catch fish except at the supermarket.

Noel

Edited by birdguy

Sometimes the feel good comes from the sound... this was always my favorite Western... (Sergio in the middle)...

233748-Once-Upon-A-Time-In-the-West-Cast

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

17 hours ago, birdguy said:

Some people just can't catch fish except at the supermarket.

A bunch of years ago my wife and I were Cabo San Lucas fishing for Marlin. I didn't know much about that kind of fishing (I was more the trout-type) but I learned a lot. On the second day there some guy shows at the place we were staying to also try his luck with the Marlin. He was fly fishing

I couldn't believe it...fly fishing? for Marlin? You gotta be kidding me. We fished for three more days. I never got my Marlin but I did land a really big sailfish. When we left two days later the guy with the fly rod still hadn't caught anything. Wrong bait I thought.

Several years later I learned that the "dumb guy fishing with the wrong bait" was, in fact, a world-record holder for all kinds of big fish caught on a fly. Including the Blue Marlin. Just one more of life's lessons to not jumping to conclusions on things you know nothing about.

Edited by W2DR
kant spel

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

@Fielder

I get these popup ads all of the time!

Screenshot 2021-01-01 at 7.25.58 AM.png

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

9 hours ago, Fielder said:

Sometimes the feel good comes from the sound...

It's hard to believe she was only 12-years old when she did that. IMNSHO, Janeckova will go down as one of the greatest sopranos of all-time...operatic or other.

Edited by W2DR

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

2 hours ago, W2DR said:

Just one more of life's lessons to not jumping to conclusions on things you know nothing about.

They fly fish for barracuda and tarpon in Florida.  I would have liked to try that.

They call it fly fishing but they do not use flies tied to resemble insects that float on top of the water.  They use what they call 'streamers', elongated flies that resemble minnows or bait fish and are allowed to sink and then retrieved in jerks.  I've also used those to fly fish for trout in lakes.  But I didn't much care for lake fishing.  I preferred to wade a river or stream.

Noel

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 3:01 PM, Rockliffe said:

Ah, so pleased we share the same appreciation of such a lovely film and story Noel. You are right, fly fishing is very much an art form.

Howard