Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Feel Good Movies...

I always feel good when the ghost or zombie on the Scooby Doo show turns out to be an ordinary person wearing a hood and just trying to get rich that way. It 's always a huge relief!!

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

My favorite show on TCM is Noir Alley.

Never miss it.

• Like 1

Any film with Judy Holliday. Even if the rest of the cast is good, when she comes on the screen brightens.

Judy Holliday is a delight.  I saw her on Turner Classic Movies just a few evenings ago in Born Yesterday.

Last night I watched Overboard with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russel.  Goldie Hawn was delightful playing the insufferable rich b(WNA) at the beginning of the movie.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I watch the old Gunsmoke shows over and over. Ole Mat Dillon just had a way about him that just made you know every thing was going to be set straight in the end. The stories were sometimes sad but had a human interest value. We just started watching the old REAL McCoy's series with "Grandpappy Amos and the girls and the boys and the family known as The Real McCoy's."

Yea. Without Turner Classics cable wouldn't be worth the price.   

Vic green

We have Gunsmoke on DVD set. Amanda Blake was the 3rd person elected to the Hall of Great Western Performers. The first 2 years were won by Tom Mix and Gary Cooper. Three others in the cast also won but not until many years later. Jim Arness, Milburn Stone, Dennis Weaver.

I think the last winner was Tommy Lee Jones for what he did way back in Lonesome Dove.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_of_Great_Western_Performers#Hall_of_Fame_members

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Last year TCM channel did this movie, was very good... I think she was 19 years old...

6a66e430-19d5-483d-b25e-872c2e21d936_1.b

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

I watch the old Gunsmoke shows over and over.

I don't know how many Gunsmoke shows there are but I have 20 seasons (626 episodes) and I've watched them all at least twice. That's why I've never been to Kansas. Too many bodies buried there.

• Like 2

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

44 minutes ago, W2DR said:

I don't know how many Gunsmoke shows there are but I have 20 seasons (626 episodes) and I've watched them all at least twice. That's why I've never been to Kansas. Too many bodies buried there.

I think Matt's total career kills are well in excess of a hundred. And that poor boy has been shot in the arms, shoulders, legs and even abdomen more times than I like to think. But ole doc could patch him right up with nothing more than a black bag and some whiskey. Tough folks.

And Miss Kity and her gals. Well, we all know the truth there.

• Like 2

Vic green

I have an embarrassment of riches as far as 1960's TV series DVD's are concerned. Seeing as a lot of TCM is bantered around here I would submit a treasure I found on TCM back in the spring, "The Next Voice You Hear" starring one of my favorite actors James Whitmore. Really uplifting in these fractious times. I watched another DVD I owned the other night and that was 2000's "Remember The Titans" , another one of my favs. It might seem a little sappy and maybe pie in the sky but in this age of BLM, it would be nice if we could all make things work like this football team did back in 1971.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fielder said:

We have Gunsmoke on DVD set. Amanda Blake was the 3rd person elected to the Hall of Great Western Performers. The first 2 years were won by Tom Mix and Gary Cooper. Three others in the cast also won but not until many years later. Jim Arness, Milburn Stone, Dennis Weaver.

I think the last winner was Tommy Lee Jones for what he did way back in Lonesome Dove.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_of_Great_Western_Performers#Hall_of_Fame_members

Reference Gary Cooper"High Noon" is about my favorite western. I think  it's in large part due to the Tex Ridder song with steam engine sound that seems to build tension moving towards H hour.

Vic green

These old movies are visits to the past.  But two years ago I did take a trip to the past.

My youngest daughter took me to San Francisco.  We stayed at a hotel at Fisherman's Wharf.  We had breakfast early and then took the cable car to the neighborhood where I grew up.  Very little on the outside changed.

The house we lived in then now had bars on the windows and a security gate on the door.  But it was the same house.  Looking up and down Larkin Street almost nothing had changed.

We then walked down to Polk Street where all the shops were.  The buildings were the same but the names on them had changed.  The old Royal Theater is now a furniture store and the old Alhambra Theater is now a fitness center.  But standing on the corner where I sold news papers as a boy was a blast from the past.

We walked by my old school and then made our way back to Lombard Street which you have probably seen in movies...the crookedest street in the world.  I delivered the Shopping News there on Wednesdays and Saturdays.  My daughter and I walked in my old footsteps.

We stopped in a coffee shop and had a cup and rested before moving on.

Then it was on to the Muni Pier and back to Fisherman's Wharf where I learned to fish from the piers as a boy.

We had dinner at Scoma's, one of the best sea food restaurants still standing.

It was a weekend I will never forget.  I got to spend a day reliving the past and sharing it in real time with one of my daughters.

That's what old movies do for me too.  They let me relive the past and remember a world that no longer exists.

Noel

• Like 4

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

That's truly wonderful Noel. I'd give anything to walk the the old neighborhood one last time. You have, indeed, been blessed. Stay safe my friend.

• Like 3

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

57 minutes ago, W2DR said:

That's truly wonderful Noel. I'd give anything to walk the the old neighborhood one last time. You have, indeed, been blessed. Stay safe my friend.

I'm here!  I'll walk it for ya! 😄  Hey, just use Google maps and you can walk it yourself using the street view!  Before the European trips several years ago,  I used that feature to find our Air B &B rentals from either the bus stations or train stations in our destination cities!

• Like 3

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

If you grew up in an old neighborhood in a large city you probably can.  The micro scene may have changed like the store names or the paint on the buildings.  But on the macro scale it's still the same neighborhood.  And if you can walk through it and share it with one of your children it becomes a cherished memory for both of you.

My daughter now knows where I grew up and what I did as a kid.  She had read those stories I wrote about growing up on Larkin Street with my brother.  Walking through the neighborhood put meat on those bones.

Noel

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1