Sign in to follow this  
Ourgas2

Where is the .exe file for starting fs2020?

Hi all,

I am starting fs2020 now with an icon on the tool bar.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Ourgas2 said:

And what if by mistake you delete the fs icon?

Then by intention open up the recycle bin and cancel it. If not then you will have to google up how to find the game files in the appdata folder struct.

Hi there,

Have a look here:

PC: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite, AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 TI, DDR5 G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 2X32 GB, Corsair HX 1000, Fractal Torrent, Samsung LC32 / G7 1440P.

35 minutes ago, Ourgas2 said:

And what if by mistake you delete the fs icon?

It should be in the program listings under Microsoft Games

I have it in d:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.11.7.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\, but off course it depends on where you have installed FlightSimulator. That folder can only be accessed with some effort.
It's not as straightforward as I would like, but the same is true for most games these days. They all use "launchers" that are installed in locations you have no control over.

• Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, Ourgas2 said:

Hi all,

I am starting fs2020 now with an icon on the tool bar.

Thanks.

Don't mess with that file if you don't want any issues. You can create a desktop icon but do not try to run as admin. There's a reason why it is hidden. That's for the MS store version.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Mine is on the Steam folder, in the steamapps\common subfolder, like this: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator. If you delete the desktop icon nothing will happen, unless you directly delete the executable from the folder above, which is obviously something you don't want to do.

In my case, it's a Steam custom install, which I selected the first time I installed the Steam app.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by edpatino

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I suggest making a backup of the desk icon shortcut and putting it somewhere safe.  You cannot access the .exe file unless you change permissions, which is probably not advisable, as Microsoft had a strange reason to hide it in the first place. (Piracy paranoia or something?) 

I believe that the actual EXE is inside a hidden Windows directory.

If you enable Dev mode and install the SDK, you can access an EXE that launches the game in dev mode.

The launcher tool is a tool specifically created to provide user a faster launch for Microsoft Flight Simulator. This very first version functionnality can simply be invoked outside the sim by calling the fsdevmodelauncher.exe executable located in the Tools\bin folder of the SDK.