Sign in to follow this  
peroni

Marketplace analysis

Too much time on my hands today so I run a quick excercise to see what products were more popular in the official marketplace based on number of ratings.
Note, to leave a rating one must have purchased the product via the marketplace, external purchases do not count.
Also not everybody that bought the product is forced to leave a rating so actual sold copies are likely a lot higher, however this could give an indication of some sort
Here's the top 14, the first one being the free EDLP

Developer Product               Number of ratings 
 Aerosoft EDLP 4174
 Orbx Landmarks London 1592
 Carenado Mooney 1419
 Carenado CT182T 1098
 BT Studio Kitfox 829
 Fly Tampa EKCH 521
 ORBX LOWI 521
 Orbx EGLC 386
 Gaya LOWZ 332
 Carenado PA 44 320
 Flightbeam KDEN 317
 Gaya LOWW 244
 Orbx KORS 215
 LatinVFR KMIA 201

Comments?

Edited by peroni
  • Like 2

Might have something to do with how long a product has been out also.

The list seems to indicate that either there are a lot more MSFS users in Europe than in the US, or they just buy more addons?

They probably have a lot more cash than us poor Americans 🙂.

• Like 1

More ratings could also imply the product is bad. People rate products usually when they're unhappy with it, they rarely rate it when they have no problems with it. For example Orbx london was a mess when it released initially, this may explain why it has so many ratings.

Edited by cepact

90% of my purchases are direct from the Dev. Market place is far too slow in new items published, and even slower getting any updates.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

I don't like to purchase thru marketplace because it puts all of the addons in the main folder. I cannot control which of those addons are adding overhead to a flight or causing conflicts with others in the community folder. 

I ended up taking all of my purchased addons thru marketplace out of the Main Folder and putting them in my fsaddon linker folder and I control them thru Addon Linker like all of the other purchases and free downloads installing them into the community folder

Only downside to this it Marketplace says owned but not installed, and Content manager shows download available.

But the upside is If I want to ffy into say Kpdk and I do not want the overhead of the my Marketplaced purchased Imaginesim KATL I just disable it in Fsaddon Linker like any other purchased scenery.

Before I allow MSFS to install a update I put them back in the Main folder so MSFS sees them correctly

and updates if need be.

So I have a few Orbx and other scenery addons that I have to control that way. 

Regards

Edited by Denwagg

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

I'd guess a very small fraction of marketplace buyers actually bother to leave reviews, and without knowing that percentage there's not much to extrapolate.

This is further confounded by the fact that you can buy almost (all?) of these products directly from the vendor.

And as someone else pointed out, people might be more likely to leave reviews for a bad product, or a product they specifically had a bad experience with, than one that just works.  Sorta like how you'll always get more forum threads from people having problems, than you will people making threads to talk about their absence of problems.

Edited by Scottoest

So 15,000 purchases through the online store that generated a review. I think it is hard to tell too much from this. 15,000 is no too much -- $150,000 assuming each add on is about $10.00. But as people have pointed out, many do not leave reviews -- I have not reviewed any of the 6 purchase I made from the Microsoft store.  And also, many do buy direct from the vendor, although that may be a much smaller number as many new people may not even know that is a possibility or, like me, just want to keep purchases centralized with one vendor.

Dan Scott

Keep in mind these are ratings, not reviews. Leaving a rating for a product takes less than a second as opposed to a review where you have to type in something.

With that in mind, some quick thoughts
Carenado only sells via marketplace and have a total of 2837 ratings for their three products. At 30$ a pop that makes for about 85K US$ gross.
If only 50% of the purchasers left a rating that's quite a substantial sum. Good for them!

Bigtire Kitfox only sells via marketplace, at 9 US$ it brought in at least over 7.4K and it was a quick port from XP with less than stellar reviews

Someone stated that Microsoft Plans on Marketplace to be a additional profit avenue to support future continued development and improvements to MSFS.

I want to support Marketplace for that reason alone but right now its too clunky. Besides the problems with addon conflicts and overhead, the interface is to hard to negotiate, Many addons are not yet available on it (where is Klas), updates are not immediately current, no freeware support, no way to resolve problems with specific addons, you still have to go back to the developers website and last but not lease these purchases are placed in the main folder.

regards

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

19 minutes ago, Pegaso said:

Aerosoft's EDLP is not #1 because it is the best one ever, but it's free.... 🤔

Yes and it was stated in the opening message

For what is worth, here's the updated table at the end of the discount period

Developer Product     Ratings  22/12       Ratings 04/01                Variation%
Carenado PA 44 320 467 45.9
LatinVFR KMIA 201 231 14.9
Carenado Mooney 1419 1553 9.4
ORBX LOWI 521 570 9.4
Gaya LOWW 244 266 9.0
Carenado CT182T 1098 1178 7.3
Orbx EGLC 386 411 6.5
Aerosoft EDLP (FREE) 4174 4413 5.7
Fly Tampa EKCH 521 549 5.4
Orbx KORS 215 226 5.1
Gaya LOWZ 332 346 4.2
BT Studio Kitfox 829 863 4.1
Flightbeam KDEN 317 328 3.5
Orbx Landmarks London 1592 1631 2.4
Edited by peroni

I was a big fan of the marketplace concept before launch, the idea of one click to reinstall and update everything was great. Also it's tied to you MSFS account, so no more losing serial or over activated addons. But :

- We got less than 50% of released addons

- Updates are way slower

- Having to wait MSFS weekly post , to see new stuff

- No way to get a refund for broken products

- For airports/sceneries the list is not detailed enough, classification by country would be nice, a map interface would be even better

- For planes, no 3D outside/cockpit visual to preview them

- No review comments