Sign in to follow this  
Guest LEP

Wind Correction Question

>I know>what TAS means exactly. And by the way, too, isn't this forum>for learning from each other, mistakes and knowledge gap andIf you knew you would not keep writing nonsense. Seems you have no interest in learning since you "know" already. Good luck.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest LEP

Your eyes and minds are truly closed. People like you POLLUTE the culture of learning. Why must there be people like you around to spoil a good forum such as this ?!

Guest Adverse Yawn

LEP,Hmmm. I suspect that you've contructed the sketch incorrectly. You have represented the wind as a tail wind and the little arrows should be pointing the ther other way within this schematic. The 115 KTAS line does not represent your speed through the air, but your speed over the ground. With a tailwind, I guess your GS would be 114-115kts.

Guest LEP

Yawn,BINGO. Think I got it finally. I think my sketch is correct, but my understanding of wind vectors was confused! The resultant of a vector diagram in this case is always referring to the ground track AND ground speed. So turning to a new 8 degree heading while still flying out at 100 KTAS will give 86 GS up North. Pls help verify.

Guest Adverse Yawn

Yes, the track remains the same due to heading change to cancel the drift.

I'm afraid you still seem to misunderstand the position. Adverse Yawn's diagram is correct and shows the situation with a 100 kt TAS, a 20kt windspeed from the north west resulting in an 87 kt ground speed. Those are the only thre speeds involved. There is only one airspeed and it isn't due north.

Guest LEP

mgh, actually my original post states a wind of 45 degrees, meaning blowing from North-East, not N-W. Written out in METAR, it would be 04520KT. Yawn's right where it shows the drift Resulting from the NE wind, while my sketch shows the corrected heading with resultant ground track and ground speed.

Also keep in mind that wind directions are given in true, not magnetic. So use your true course, not your magnetic course.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Airport winds are also in True. I made that mistake and got docked for it on a stage check. :-hah----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest Adverse Yawn

There is a saying. "Everything the Met says is TRUE". However, the airport is not the met and ATIS winds are magnetic as Michel says. Not a problem in the UK with 3deg variation, but in the US it is significant.

Apologies - I should have written East not West. AdverseYawn's diagram is still correct though. Your sketch wasn't because it shows a 100kt TAS which should be 100kt ground speed.

Guest LEP

I looked up a manual on this one and my sketch still shows right. This is how the E6B results want you to fly to reach where you have wanted to go.