Sign in to follow this  
OzWhitey

Any Oculus Users Having Success?

@Lange_666  Thanks for sharing that. Unfortunately I'm not the only one that uses the headset (we have older children) so I can't pop in lenses just for me. 

@Flying Fisherman I need glasses for everything, I've tried wearing it without them and its a blurry mess. 

Th Rift S looks pretty good, its only a step down to be honest. Its that rippling in the graphics when I turn my head (mainly around the guage/glass area) that's annoying.  Didn't notice that in the test flight I performed with the Quest. Granted I'm waiting on a cable, I was using it wireless and it was a bit laggy due to that.

1 hour ago, Lotharen said:

Its that rippling in the graphics when I turn my head

I noticed that too, it's not there when I use the Q2 wirelessly with ALVR.
There's also a strange effect, if you look at a wing strut or some static part of the plane when you're taxiing, it looks like it's ghosting away, can't really explain that 
To make it almost disappear when using the cable, fps need to be in the 40s.
Looks like it needs optimization, for how it works ATM, I just enjoy it as it is, if I want the eye candy, I just switch back to 2d.

• Like 1

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

Sorry if you are already aware of this,  but if using the link cable, have you tried pressing "right control + num pad 1, 2, 3 or 4" to change the different reprojection methods? You can do this in the game or while in oculus home.

"1" disables ASW (vector based?) which is generally the cause of the graphical wobbles, and tends to not work well unless there's a consistent 30 - 45 fps, depending on model of headset.

On 1/16/2021 at 1:05 PM, dogmanbird said:

Sorry if you are already aware of this,  but if using the link cable, have you tried pressing "right control + num pad 1, 2, 3 or 4" to change the different reprojection methods? You can do this in the game or while in oculus home.

"1" disables ASW (vector based?) which is generally the cause of the graphical wobbles, and tends to not work well unless there's a consistent 30 - 45 fps, depending on model of headset.

Thanks I didn't knew that, I'll try later. I saw the term reprojection around the VR options in steam or oculus, no hint about what it was.
I'm completely new to VR and I found that there's a lot of tinkering involved, tinkering that maybe should've been sorted out by the developers of the VR device or the flight sim, like, you start the .exe and it knows which program is running on which hardware, and bam, all set for the best experience possible.

Also it's not clear why it needs both the oculus program and the steam VR thing to be running, otherwise the game doesn't even see that there's a VR connected.

GarbagePoster

You are welcome. I agree that configuring VR can be quite confusing. 

If you've followed the Oculus related steps below, you shouldn't need to run steam VR with MSFS as the sim should be able to talk to the Oculus App directly.  If SteamVR has been set to use "Steam OpenXR" then both will need to be running if I remember correctly. If the game was purchased via Steam, the general Steam App may still need to run in the background regardless of what has been configured.

For my system, I found the Oculus OpenXR option resulted in better performance.

Somewhere between 18fps and 30fps seems to be the expected performance at the moment for most users. 

The info below came from this link.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018555179-How-to-install-OpenXR-

• Oculus users please opt-in to the Oculus Rift Public Test Channel to enable support:
https://support.oculus.com/200468603765391

Before using VR in Flight Simulator with an Oculus headset, the computer needs to know the location of the OpenXR runtime to use. Please follow the steps below to set this location in the registry:
1. Right-click on your Start menu and select Run.
2. Type in “regedit” (without quotations) and hit Enter. This will launch the Registry Editor.
3. Locate the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1
4. For ActiveRuntime change its value to the one that matches your platform (note: default path is shown below):
C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\oculus_openxr_64.json
5. Close the Registry Editor. You are now ready to enter VR with your Oculus headset.

Edited by dogmanbird
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, dogmanbird said:

You are welcome. I agree that configuring VR can be quite confusing. 

If you've followed the Oculus related steps below, you shouldn't need to run steam VR with MSFS as the sim should be able to talk to the Oculus App directly.  If SteamVR has been set to use "Steam OpenXR" then both will need to be running if I remember correctly. If the game was purchased via Steam, the general Steam App may still need to run in the background regardless of what has been configured.

For my system, I found the Oculus OpenXR option resulted in better performance.

Somewhere between 18fps and 30fps seems to be the expected performance at the moment for most users. 

The info below came from this link.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018555179-How-to-install-OpenXR-

• Oculus users please opt-in to the Oculus Rift Public Test Channel to enable support:
https://support.oculus.com/200468603765391

Before using VR in Flight Simulator with an Oculus headset, the computer needs to know the location of the OpenXR runtime to use. Please follow the steps below to set this location in the registry:
1. Right-click on your Start menu and select Run.
2. Type in “regedit” (without quotations) and hit Enter. This will launch the Registry Editor.
3. Locate the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1
4. For ActiveRuntime change its value to the one that matches your platform (note: default path is shown below):
C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\oculus_openxr_64.json
5. Close the Registry Editor. You are now ready to enter VR with your Oculus headset.

Now that I can use it without steamvr it's waaay better. Graphics and performance, I'm running at 30 stable, almost everything on medium and 100% rendering and resolution, TAA ON, finally!

GarbagePoster

I just did this and noticed a big improvement. It also seems that the switch from 2D to VR is faster. It would always lag a bit when started VR with Steam. I also didn't notice that tearing in the graphics when I looked around. Granted I was only in the test flight for about 5 minutes, enough to take off and make a hard left turn to head back the opposite direction. Image was rock solid!

• Like 1